English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 24 July 2020, 12:58   #1
RichL

Hello From Lockdown

Well, more like Birmingham, UK.

Working from home for 5 months made me realise how much I wanted to get back into Amiga-ring so I paid for a really nice, white A1200 a couple of weeks ago and so far invested in a 4 gig CF card and 8mb RAM expansion.

Have had a few technical hiccups so far (which is why I joined here to learn) but am slowly getting around things - I don’t know why (for example) certain games seem to crash at certain times on the actual hardware but running them in WinUAE they don’t. But its a slow learning process for me.

Looking forward to contributing more on the forum. I don’t want everything from me to be questions or requests!!

Thanks for reading.

Oh and do people still use a megadrive pad on actual hardware? Is that still the best to track down or a good old fashioned joystick?
Old 24 July 2020, 13:03   #2
chip
Amiga Demoscene Archive !

Hi !

You are not the first one that due to the lockdown has rediscovered the Amiga

Enjoy your "new" adventure ..... welcome to the forum
Old 24 July 2020, 13:16   #3
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Oh and do people still use a megadrive pad on actual hardware? Is that still the best to track down or a good old fashioned joystick?
These days I prefer a Master System pad or if i'm playing something that doesn't need two buttons, one of my many joysticks
Old 24 July 2020, 13:16   #4
manossg

Welcome!

Quote:
Lots of people like joypads, but a mod to remap up to some of the buttons for jumping might be a good idea. I never understood or liked joypads, though, especially when there are some fantastic joysticks around.
Old 24 July 2020, 13:27   #5
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Welcome!

Lots of people like joypads, but a mod to remap up to some of the buttons for jumping might be a good idea. I never understood or liked joypads, though, especially when there are some fantastic joysticks around.
I hate joysticks. And I know its all preference, but just remember the cramps etc of playing games in the Amstrad and later Amiga.

I think we have been spoilt, An xbox one pad I would like to use that on every system ever

Sorry went O/T then.

Welcome
Old 24 July 2020, 14:02   #6
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
And I know its all preference, but just remember the cramps etc of playing games in the Amstrad and later Amiga.
Sorry went O/T then.
(shamelessly continuing the OT)

Getting cramps sucks, yeah, but it depends on the joystick. Got some cramps from those competition pros but never a problem from the superbly crafted Tomahawk/Pacman joysticks.
Old 28 July 2020, 23:25   #7
RichL

Can you seriously use a master system joypad okay? Just plug it straight in and it’s not going to damage anything?

Seen some competition pro’s on eBay starting at £40 and going up. Shocking.
Old 29 July 2020, 03:00   #8
xubidoo

Quote:
Can you seriously use a master system joypad okay? Just plug it straight in and it’s not going to damage anything?
Yes a Master system pad works fine, its the Megadrive pad thats more likely to casue damage apparently

My Joystick of choice used to be the Zipstick , but these days i use a Monster Joystick Mini - 2 button with option of mapping up to jump to the 2nd button, while expensive(£55 ish) its quality stuff, all proper arcade parts.

I just dont think pads work with an Amiga that well to be honest, the pushing up to jump/accelerate etc just feels wrong

Welcome btw

Old 29 July 2020, 12:20   #9
RichL

Thanks I will see if I can get one of those cheap.

I've really missed the retro shows this year