English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 15 July 2020, 03:01   #1
jmmijo

Cancel Culture

I hate posting something like this but there was a general spike in this kind of crap from all corners of the globe and it's not just a US thing but has shown up all over the world now.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it seems that anybody and everybody is WEAPONIZING the internet these days.

Glad I never viewed this so-called social media as anything positive

I just wonder if it will ever somehow reach the AMIGA community and sites like this getting DDOS'd forwards and backwards.

Hopefully this will never come to pass but damn so many peeps on this world are stupid
Old 15 July 2020, 09:59   #2
Daedalus

The Amiga community is chock full of "interesting" characters already, and many Amiga websites have been hacked over the years. Doxxing, impersonation and all sorts of other personal attacks are common in some corners of the community too.
Old 15 July 2020, 10:07   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It's not the internet anymore though - cancel culture is the merging of the like/dislike buttons and the subscribe/unsubscribe buttons having made its way into the real world. That's the scary bit.

Take your favorite yearly gaming event. Right now it only has to come to light that one person involved with that event is suspected of wrongdoing, and you'll see a wave of cancellations not only for that year but for the rest of time. Friggin' Cancel Culture.
Old 15 July 2020, 10:31   #4
Daedalus

Yep, and I'm thinking of a few times over the years where people in the Amiga community have been doxxed and had their employers contacted with "evidence" of wrongdoing in an effort to get them into trouble. That sort of overflowing into the real world isn't new, and there's plenty of potential for it to accelerate in Amigaland. I just hope it doesn't happen like that.
Old 15 July 2020, 13:06   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I've no idea what you are talking about... no social media or anything like that...

Now bit serious, (knowing me means something completely opposite ), wonder has anyone else seen episode 'Majority Rule' from The Orville TV Show?? Quite interesting look into what we are moving forward to and will look in not too distant future...

For someone who likes dystopian books/movies, current state of the world looks very familiar...
Old 16 July 2020, 11:19   #6
8bitbubsy

I miss the internet the way it was 15+ years ago...
Old 17 July 2020, 13:25   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Is this what you're missing?

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 17 July 2020, 13:39   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah I don't miss dial up But that's more something of the 90's.
Old 17 July 2020, 19:09   #9
RuySan

Anyone who reads about the Chinese cultural revolution would be horrified to see how close it resembles today's cancel culture. This whole endless pursuit for orthodoxy and ideological purity and obsession for compliance is terrifying.
Old 17 July 2020, 20:37   #10
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
Anyone who reads about the Chinese cultural revolution would be horrified to see how close it resembles today's cancel culture. This whole endless pursuit for orthodoxy and ideological purity and obsession for compliance is terrifying.
Got downvoted on quora for signaling parallels but yes all this 5h17 is definitely with a maoist flavor - hopefully does not go Pol Pot style...
Old 17 July 2020, 23:56   #11
RuySan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Got downvoted on quora for signaling parallels but yes all this 5h17 is definitely with a maoist flavor - hopefully does not go Pol Pot style...
I'm a very leftist person myself, but these days you can't even argue about politics on the internet, there's never any middle ground or compromise.

My take on the cultural revolution comes from reading "Wild Swans" when I was a teen, and it made a big impression on me.

The book "Big breasts, wide hips" from nobel prize winner Mo Yan also covers the same period and is actually the superior book, and I wholeheartedly recommend (although it can me bit risky to go into the bookstore asking for "big breasts, wide hips")
Old 18 July 2020, 00:59   #12
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
I'm a very leftist person myself, but these days you can't even argue about politics on the internet, there's never any middle ground or compromise.

My take on the cultural revolution comes from reading "Wild Swans" when I was a teen, and it made a big impression on me.

The book "Big breasts, wide hips" from nobel prize winner Mo Yan also covers the same period and is actually the superior book, and I wholeheartedly recommend (although it can me bit risky to go into the bookstore asking for "big breasts, wide hips")
Did grow up in Italy on the 70s (was in my elementary years) and remember all those university fights and discussions on TV so i can kinda perceive a similar climate to the actual one
Old 22 July 2020, 13:37   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

LOL, just other day on Daily Show with Trevor Noah

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 25 July 2020, 19:53   #14
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
I miss the internet the way it was 15+ years ago...
Time has not been good to the internet. I miss the old BBS days.
Old 28 July 2020, 11:48   #15
xanderbeanz

As someone who has been a long time victim abuse, I’d just like to say that I fully support cancel culture.

People with a high level of privilege (and that privilege could simply be a lack of sensitivity from birth; what a privilege mild sociopathy is to have in this world)...have been able to get away with saying whatever they want, for far too long, without being called out.
Old 28 July 2020, 11:58   #16
roondar

Cancel culture is not and never has been about "calling people out". That already happened way before it.

Cancel culture is about forcefully silencing dissent on any topic the cancelers happen to disagree with. Often by trying to force ridiculous consequences for even tiny "transgressions" (such as forcing companies to sack people and making sure that the persons cancelled will never be part of the public square again, irrespective of how big or small their error was or whether or not the person in question has shown remorse). This is objectively unacceptable behavior of these cancel mobs and thus I am fully opposed to it.

And I say this as someone who has been the target of quite a lot of verbal, emotional and physical abuse in the past.

Edit: please note, I've deleted my followup post to this as I don't think this is a discussion to be held on EAB. I've ultimately decided to let my original post stand and not edit it into "never mind", even though in retrospect I'd rather not have made it (I'm not a fan of political/ideological discussions on forums).

Last edited by roondar; 28 July 2020 at 12:47.
Old 28 July 2020, 12:01   #17
xanderbeanz

I see.

I think I’m still for it, in general.
Old 28 July 2020, 13:43   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yes it's an amazingly good idea to not listen, just silence.
Old 28 July 2020, 14:56   #19
8bitbubsy

Cancel culture is absolutely horrible. If you're a celebrity and you did something bad many years ago and have moved on (and hopefully learnt from it), "SJW people" on Twitter might dig deep and find out and bring it to light again. This makes you in deep trouble. Your reputation is changing to the worse, and companies might not want to work with you. You might lose your job too, isn't that nice. Cancel culture, the way I have understood it, is mostly an abusive and negative thing. Being pro-cancel-culture is very egoistic and sick.
Old 30 July 2020, 15:21   #20
Mick

Social media seems to have brought about a kind of conformist culture that is representative of totalitarian countries like North Korea, if you dissent in any way your life will be ruined.

The scary part for me was when lock down happened and people were policing and grassing on their neighbours, isn't that the type of thing that happened in places like East Germany where people would go running to the Stasi to report anyone who stepped out of line over utterly trivial things? people become so terrified of being seen to be or do something different to what the authority demands that they just conform out of fear.

Last edited by Mick; 30 July 2020 at 15:48.