English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 16 December 2019, 21:24   #1
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Question Mid-range 5.1 Home Theater system

Hi,

Can someone plz recommend a mid-range 5.1 or 2.1 channel DTS Home Theater system as my Videologic Digitheater DTS one is dying ? I'd rather have the receiver tied to one of the speakers unless you consider it's really bad design (center speaker of the Digitheatre has integrated control panel, see here how it materializes), also I don't need a powerhouse. Inputs required : 1x or 2x Optical, 2x or 3x analog stereo, coaxial. Sub-woofer should be made of wood preferably, and large enough so that I can stack up stuff on top of it (width : 35 cm / 13,7 inches at the most). I plan to use it a lot for listening to lossless audio music, watching movies and providing surround sound for the occasional PC or PS2 game.
Old 16 December 2019, 22:40   #2
Daedalus

Oof, I've never seen one of those before, with the controls integrated into the centre speaker. I can see how that would work for a PC-type setup, but I would think that a separate centre speaker would be a much better idea for most uses. I would personally recommend going for a higher end separate amp, speakers and sub, which you can likely get for reasonable money second hand. People regularly upgrade their receivers for things like 4K compatibility and sell off their old 1080p units cheaply - it might be worth looking around for something like that. Then you can buy whatever speakers and sub you like, again at a reasonable price.

Personally, I have a Pioneer 7.1 receiver but only use it for 5.1. I use that with a set of Wharfedale Valdus speakers and a Diamond sub that I've had for a long time but are great. There's a set (front, surround and centre but no sub) on eBay now for £250, another £200 would probably get you a decent sub and amp. For a smaller setup, the Valdus 200s, or even Diamond 100s on all 4 corners would do a fine job for even less. Pairs of them go for around £50-60 each. I'm a fan of Wharfedale speakers, but you should be able to find other good makes for around the same price.

Shipping will be expensive if you buy gear like that online, but look around for local pickups on Gumtree or whatever your local equivalent is.
Old 22 December 2019, 17:45   #3
spiff
Oh noes!

If its Music -> video -> gaming, maybe check out a soundbar?

Music tonality on sonos (DD not Dts) and from what i remember yamaha was good, room correction helps selling the illusion of airy immersion..and a dedicated center helps movie dialog.
Old 23 July 2020, 10:29   #4
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I've found a workaround. Interference stop when I turn off - turn on the audio system quickly. Sometimes it requires about 10 pushings of the power button on the remote, sometimes 50. Boring as hell, especially when there are still crackles after 30-40 pushings, but works somehow. My neighbors aren't very lenient, so cranking up the volume is out of the question sadly. All in all, a better, more modern 5.1 or 7.1 setup can wait.
Old 23 July 2020, 15:47   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That sounds like the act of keeping a dying man alive by continuously doing CPR
Old 23 July 2020, 18:11   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Don't you have nearby electricians/electronics people, guys... that could look into it? I live in a rather small village next to the Czech border and personally know 2 people that could fix something like that.
Sounds like some soldering, exchanging the capacitors, etc. would do so once you assume it's already dead just learn to solder, find a scheme and go for it.

Personally I've got the Logitech Z906 and it's working 4 years now, heard on the internets the controls get fucked with time but fine so far.

Last edited by Shoonay; 23 July 2020 at 18:17.
Old 24 July 2020, 13:20   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I've got this, bit old but still working well and now mostly used by my son in basement.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 July 2020, 14:44   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Don't you have nearby electricians/electronics people, guys... that could look into it?
I wish. There is a reason why a large percentage of Poland is now in the Netherlands; because the local government has been pushing higher educations on people for decades now, so local plumbers, electricians, etc. etc. are getting a little scarce. There used to be small electronics shops where you could bring stuff to have it repaired, but those have been consumed by the large chains. I haven't seen one since my childhood.

The people are still there who can do it, but they tend to be snapped up by thrift stores, which has become a big thing in the last few years. They're on every corner now.