Old 03 June 2020, 11:37   #341
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Well we can think on a plan B and do our own sprites and background in case ^^
Heh. We could call our game Giante!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Not really following the development so what is the status, you can do games now-you need to know programming etc?
It's still a WIP, there's a fairly long list of issues on the bug tracker - https://github.com/earok/scorpion-editor-demos/issues - and more stuff gets added to that all the time.

So far as programming goes, technically you don't need to know any programming languages - but it does have a simple visual scripting system ("codeblocks") for custom events.
Old 03 June 2020, 14:37   #342
earok

New release is up.

https://github.com/earok/scorpion-editor-demos/releases

For the most part, the changes to the engine itself are relatively trivial, since my effort has mostly been on the new animation editor which is included in the update. It replaces the spriter beta, and it's far more streamlined as it's designed specifically with Scorpion in mind. I'll try to do a simple tutorial video sometime in the next few days.

Other updates:
  • JSON has replaced YAML as the serialization format for all data files.
  • Minor performance improvements in the eight way scrolling routine.
  • Maximum resolution of the main scrolling game area has been increased to 256x224 pixels. Note that the total display area, including UI elements, remains at 320x256 pixels.
  • Long standing issue that prevented the main game area being placed at the bottom of the screen has been fixed. This has allowed the UI to be on the top of the Zelda demo, which is traditional for Zelda games.

Old 05 June 2020, 15:20   #343
earok

Posted a quick tutorial video outlining how to use the new animation editor.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 June 2020, 15:38   #344
DamienD
disengaged

Very cool indeed

With the amination editor it means effects with characters like in Metal Slug when standing still or near the edge of a platform can be achieved
Old 05 June 2020, 15:44   #345
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Very cool indeed

With the amination editor it means effects with characters like in Metal Slug when standing still or near the edge of a platform can be achieved
Cheers!

Eeep! Well....

Technically it'd be possible - though very hard - to trigger a 'dangling on edge' animation since the engine doesn't have a slot in the actor menu for it.

I'll add it to the issues register to look at someday
Old 05 June 2020, 19:50   #346
Havie

This looks really impressive and the way you are putting it together - easy to use. The wya you handled the change of 16 to 32 colours was amazing!
Old 05 June 2020, 22:33   #347
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Very cool indeed

the animated girl is incredibly well done. Really the scorpion engine is really what we lacked and what the industry lacked back in the day.

It's console like/quality
Old 05 June 2020, 22:42   #348
earok

Cheers guys

@havie
Thanks! I'm rather pleased with how in Scorpion it's possible to change a game's entire palette from one file rather than manually reindexing every individual graphic.

@dlfrsilver
Technically, there's no reason why Shantae quality animation couldn't have been done back in the 80s/90s - other than the character has a massive number of frames (so squeezing everything into 1MB might be an issue if a proper Shantae game was made for Amiga). The character could certainly be animated like that in AMOS or even Backbone etc.

It's the modern art style rather than the engine which is where the magic is
Old 06 June 2020, 01:30   #349
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

The animation editor is really a good tool, easy to understand and powerful. Nicely done!

I have one question about animations.
Is it possible to have the animation not looped, but keeping the last frame.
For example, for a vertical shmup, you go to the left, the ship start to tilt left and keep the tilt (last frame) until the left button is released, then the animation is inverted to return to flat state
It works if i put the last frame delay to a high number (so it doesn't loop anymore) , but perhaps there is another way to do this.
Old 06 June 2020, 02:21   #350
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
The animation editor is really a good tool, easy to understand and powerful. Nicely done!

I have one question about animations.
Is it possible to have the animation not looped, but keeping the last frame.
For example, for a vertical shmup, you go to the left, the ship start to tilt left and keep the tilt (last frame) until the left button is released, then the animation is inverted to return to flat state
It works if i put the last frame delay to a high number (so it doesn't loop anymore) , but perhaps there is another way to do this.
I understand what you're after, the engine doesn't natively support it but it might be possible to implement it in a convoluted way using codeblocks and such.

In any case, it's an essential feature to be added (AlarCity etc will need it), I've added it to the issues register.
Old 06 June 2020, 02:40   #351
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Ok, thanks for your explanations.

The time you spend to do those quick tutorials is very appreciated

Your Scorpion engine is more and more impressive.

EDIT : To be more precise, i was refereing to the movement of the ship in Battle Squadron, for example

Last edited by Rochabian; 06 June 2020 at 08:35.
Old 06 June 2020, 13:35   #352
earok

Quote:
EDIT : To be more precise, i was refereing to the movement of the ship in Battle Squadron, for example
I understand, there's no easy way to have a 'smooth tilting' animation yet though.

The best that could be done is a kind of 'snapping' tilt (like in 1942). You could achieve that by having 1 frame animations, use a 1 frame flat animation for all idle directions (plus movement straight up and down), a 1 frame left tilt for the three left directions, and a 1 frame right tilt for the three right directions.

Though what you've already suggested (have a long timeout on the final frame) is certainly a good work around, except that there's no way to reverse the animation back into the idle state.

I'll need to dwell a little more on the best way to officially add movement transition support for the engine.

---

I've started work on the next update, at this stage it's looking mostly to be a bug and refinement release.
  • The A1000 is officially supported
  • ECS/AGA Borderblank is supported. Excluding OCS machines, the border will always be black even if palette index 0 is different to black.
  • Automated 24 bit color. On AGA machines, Scorpion games have smoother fades and support a 24 bit palette. On OCS and ECS machines, Scorpion games will continue to work as they did previously.
  • Various repairs for the Backbone importer - this is in bit of a broken state at the moment, I'm repairing it both for the TOG1 remaster (we're gonna get this done!) as well as for the game Nutmeg (I've been given permission by Leon to officially add that game to the demos pack, so I'll do that after reimporting it into Scorpion and doing manual refinements).
Old 06 June 2020, 13:45   #353
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
The best that could be done is a kind of 'snapping' tilt (like in 1942). You could achieve that by having 1 frame animations, use a 1 frame flat animation for all idle directions (plus movement straight up and down), a 1 frame left tilt for the three left directions, and a 1 frame right tilt for the three right directions.
Yep, i've thought about that too, i'll use it for my test for now.
Old 06 June 2020, 13:53   #354
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
  • ECS/AGA Borderblank is supported. Excluding OCS machines, the border will always be black even if palette index 0 is different to black.
Old 06 June 2020, 13:58   #355
earok

Quote:
Yep, i've thought about that too, i'll use it for my test for now.

Do you have automated scrolling going? If not, I think you could do it by making a new code block with something like.

- set camera position to camera_y - 1
- set player position to player_y - 1

On the actor menu for your ship, set the "timer" event to the new codeblock and configure the frame delay to suit.
Old 07 June 2020, 22:01   #356
Mixel

Joined EAB just to talk about this. ?? Hi everyone!

This is the most exciting Amiga related thing I’ve seen in ages and I’m planning on doing two projects in it.. One is a VN I’m rapidly making assets for, and up until now developing for PC/Mac in Tyrannobuilder) and the other is a platform game sequel/remake of a Mac game I made years ago.. Which in windows I was starting to build in Pixel Game Maker.. As I never thought there’d be an engine good enough for me to realistically make an Amiga version it was just going to be “Amiga-esque”.. But scorpion potentially changes that completely!

I haven’t had a chance to experiment yet so some of these might be really noob questions..

For the VN; Save support - does it exist yet? I can’t see a VN working without it. :} How easy would it be to implement a gallery of collectible images from different story paths?

For the platform game.. looking at Alex kidd’s palette, that has a full 16 colour palette.. back in the day I remember using the first colour in the palette as transparent.. I’m working in EHB64 for both my games.. I can’t work out how transparency will work, do I need to set aside a slot for it? Until now I’ve been imagining 1st col as transparent and colour 33 (the half bright version of the transparent colour) as black.. Would that be possible? I know this is a really niche question.. !

Copper gradients - earok- if they’re not supported yet.. I know you said you don’t like them earlier on but they’re such an important part of the Amiga look to me.. I’d use them tastefully, I promise, lol. Think Odyssey or SoTB - I always imagined my platform game having gradients. (and eventually parallax but it looks like you’re doing that.)

Last question.. Is there some way to donate to this project, in a totally no pressure kind of way? I expect some of us would want to help the project out any way possible? Even just a ko-fi link or something. ??
Old 08 June 2020, 01:42   #357
earok

Welcome Mixel!

- Save support isn't there yet. Part of the complication is, while it'd be relatively easy to dump all variables to a to a file, CD32 save support is something I'd like to offer and the CD32 only has 1KB save storage, so I'd need to implement something that allowed saving only important variables (and even compressing those down, for example a 'true/false' variable only needs 1 bit saved as opposed to the full 16 bits of a regular Scorpion variable). I've added that issue to the issues register.

I'm definitely looking forward to your visual novel, you may have seen that there's a visual novel demo project bundled with Scorpion (a partial port of the first case of Ace Attorney) that might give you some ideas about how a visual novel could be implemented.

- There's no need to reserve a palette slot for transparency with Scorpion - at compile time, all graphics (in PNG form) are converted to bitplanes using PNG transparency for the mask. This means that, if you've got a 16 color palette for the project, you can use all 16 colors, no need to reserve one of those to generate the transparency mask.

- Copper skies are definitely planned in the short-ish term, with sprite layer parallax (eg, Jim Power) planned in the longer term.

- I still haven't nailed down a way for Scorpion to be financially supported, I had always intended that it be free and fully functional for freeware games with some sort of licencing for commercial games. I may start a patreon at some point, but in any case we're happy to receive donations via the Pixelglass tipjar.
Old 08 June 2020, 03:23   #358
Mixel

Ah that's fine about saving - as long as its on the roadmap, making the VN is a drawn out process atm as I'm prototyping it first in Twine to get the story mapped out, then inputting bit by bit to Tyrannobuilder, and now I'll (almost certainly!) also be porting to Scorpion too.. I'm not in a huge rush to complete it and I'm usually pretty slow (I have a lot going on) but being able to release on Amiga instead of just have it be a PC game (that looks and sounds suspiciously like an amiga game) is amazing! By the time I'm making any serious inroads into it you may well have finished saves.

The Ace Attorney thing totally blew my mind, I really wasn't expecting that and seeing it (and the way scorpion imports TTF fonts!) it's ideal! It'll probably take me a while to wrap my head around the scripting system, but the way it had hidden narrative branches etc is very cool. It looks like it might even be easier to understand than Tyrannobuilder once I know it properly.

- That's good about the palette slot! That means I have space for an extra dark shade, nice!

Yay copper palettes and parallax. I think I'm going to achieve things faster working on bits of the VN than I will with the platform game but it's really nice seeing open pastures for potential development for someone of my skillset.. I'm an awful programmer but have used things like CnP/gamefactory, Virtools, SEUCK (lol) and something called Power Game Factory (it was incredible, but quite limited in scope - and sadly died, taking my biggest project with it.) - People making easy(er!) tools is exciting..

I only relatively recently got back into the amiga scene and it's great to see so much going on! Keep up the good work!
Old 08 June 2020, 04:18   #359
earok

Thanks for the donation! It's very much appreciated.

Earlier versions of Scorpion used a scripting language broadly based on Ink, the current version is more or less just a 'visual scripting' version of that. I switched to visual scripting both to make it easier for non-coders as well as to make it easier to trigger specific commands without needing to refer to documentation.

Klik N Play (as well as it's successors) was definitely an inspiration for how some of Scorpion works, particularly in regards to events and configuration of game objects. It's a little ironic given the Klik N Play series was partly a creation of AMOS maker Francios Lionet, but Scorpion is a Blitz Basic engine.

One of my friends actually made a commercial release with Power Game Factory (https://www.macgamestore.com/product/4023/Soulless/)
Old 08 June 2020, 07:21   #360
Lineof7s

Quote:
Scorpion is a Blitz Basic engine
As a long-time (PC) Blitz fan, I'm dying to know which Blitz you're using. Blitzmax? Or when you say "Blitz Basic" do you actually mean the original 2D PC version by that name? That would be (even more) impressive.