English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 September 2006, 19:42   #1
Bloodwych

Forget about Gamesmaster and Bad Influence....

....this is the true daddy computer show! And I'd completely forgot about it! I even clearly remember this episode. Man I love youtube.

From the days computers were called "Micros"...

From a time when "WIMP" meant more than a bully's prey...

And in an era when knitwear and golfers jumpers were the "in" thing...

Yes EABers we have the number one show of them all. A show so educational that our teacher used to get us watching this at school!

Man this is going to bring tears to UK viewers eyes. Not sure if other forum members will remember this, but here is a clue: "Fred Harris". Enjoy!

[ Show youtube player ]

Sorry, I couldn't resist. This video is just such a great part of Amiga history.
Old 26 September 2006, 23:31   #2
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Thanks for that Bloodwych. Great memories, although I remember Fred at an earlier stage with a beard and possibly presenting with Lesley Judd.

He obviously used a mouse many times prior to filming

Remember taping the code at the end of the program?

I wish I could see more episodes.

Thanks
Old 27 September 2006, 04:42   #3
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Wow amazing! Poor guy couldnt handle Dpaint wish i could go back in time loL

a great trip down memory lane tho Bloodwych thanks for the memorys
Old 27 September 2006, 10:19   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

i wanna know howmany phone numbers can be stored in a vile of mud!!!! got my hopes up!!!!!
Old 27 September 2006, 11:44   #5
Bloodwych

Yeah Magno and Zetro, shame the ending of the program isn't on; that would have covered both your comments about the code taping and the vile of mud. Sarek, yes magno was right - he was totally crap with the mouse so feared dpaint! However, did you see how slow and unresponsive the mouse was? Someone should have set it up better.

See how impressed Fred was with the Amiga music? He was really giving those keys some action!

To quote the great man himself "I find that pretty stunning. That is ACTUALLY STEREO SOUND!!!"

…and his response to the guitar samples: "heavy man!"

When you hear him go on about windows and multitasking back in 1985, see that screen saver at the start of the piece and him going all ga-ga over WIMP, you realise just how advanced the Amiga was back then. I remember thinking it was some kind of super computer - after all, all I had at the time was either a vic-20 or a spectrum. Fred on the other hand had TWO Amiga 1000's either side of him and a motherboard to touch up!

Great how he explains the motherboard layout as well with revolutionary "custom chips" - brilliant program coving the rise of the computer golden age.

Funny when he outlined the Amiga uses. Stays clear of mentioning the games market (even though he hinted micros live and die on their software and certain features might be wasted if used purely as business machine). If only he new what a huge gaming platform it was about to become for kids!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 September 2006 at 17:30.
Old 28 September 2006, 08:46   #6
rebelli0n

wow, that brings back some memories. The fact fred was so openly impressed with the amiga speaks volumes, as micro live was often a thinly veiled advert for Acorn (as hinted at by the BBC micro owl logo at the start)

I distinctly remember one episode where they did some kind of 'what micro is best for music' comparison. featuring amongst others, the C64 and BBC, and incredulously they pronounced the BBC superior to the C64!

Now i know that the BBC with the UMI sequencerwas used a bit as a studio control sequencer before the ST/Cubase, but for the home user without thousands in external midi gear, it was useless.
Old 28 September 2006, 12:51   #7
Baron Greenback

That was brilliant!

I remember watching that. Can it really be twenty years ago?!?!

Old 18 October 2006, 22:56   #8
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

That was fantastic! Thanks for that! It makes you remember how we used to appreciate and be in awe of GUIs (or WIMPs!). Brilliant stuff! I'll take Fred Harris over Andy Crane and Dominic Diamond any day!

I want that Robo-City screen saver! Where did that come from??
Old 18 October 2006, 22:58   #9
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Funny when he outlined the Amiga uses. Stays clear of mentioning the games market (even though he hinted micros live and die on their software and certain features might be wasted if used purely as business machine). If only he new what a huge gaming platform it was about to become for kids!
Well this was the A1000 wasn't it? I don't think many people woud have really considered spending all that money on something like games... especially when there wasn't really a "games market" at the time!
Old 19 October 2006, 11:34   #10
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Thanx 4 the memory Bloodwych! That really took me back...I can just about recall watching that episode. I used to watch Micro Live with my brother on a crappy portable B&W TV.

Fred Harris said that the Amiga was launched in the US as a home computer (due to their greater disposable income - what? That A1000 he demonstrated was over £1,000 in the UK) and was to be introduced as a business machine in the UK.

Opposite the BBC on Oxford Road in Manchester, there used to be a Commodore Business Centre. Me and my brother would visit the show room and drool on the various Amiga computers on display.

Does anyone remember the annual computer fair in Manchester circa 1985? I remember visiting it in the city centre with my brother. It was held at a University building and was very popular with computer enthusiasts.

Micro Live - truly the grand daddy of all TV computer shows