English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 January 2016, 21:21   #1
mulder

Precise timing in WinUAE for ripping audio

I've been trying to dump some old Octamed mods out to wav from WinUAE.

I'd like to produce two wavs for each mod, one per stereo channel pair. That way I can then create enhanced mixdowns in modern PC software by further editing the wavs to separate each instrument.

The problem is, the timing. It's all over the place. Once I get the two wavs into Ableton, the click track I placed at the beginning doesn't line up and the rest of the track slowly becomes more and more unaligned.

This wasn't a problem when syncing two real Amiga 1200s using click tracks back in the day (not using the midi control function in Octamed - that used to cause a slight delay). If there was any drift it wasn't noticeable.

Is there a way to force WinUAE to render step by step so that there is no timing drift at all?

Old 25 January 2016, 21:52   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I guess you are recording in real-time, emulation running with normal speed and playing also sound normally? That means all constant timing adjustments are active to keep audio and video in sync and without glitches.

Try with both sound sync and disable frame rate limit enabled.
Old 25 January 2016, 22:21   #3
mulder

Thanks for the reply Toni.

I just tried with Disable Frame Rate Limit and Disable Sound Sync checked as you suggested. I played the click track twice in the same recording session and then trimmed the wav in a wave editor so that the clicks were aligned at the start. This still produced differences between the two playings.

I need to get to bed as I'm up early for work, but tomorrow night maybe I can produce some examples.

Old 25 January 2016, 22:35   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Make also sure fastest possible CPU mode is not enabled or JIT.