English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 July 2019, 03:16   #1
EchoesFox

2000 flashing power LED, black screen / no signal

Just like the title says, the machine stopped working a couple days ago. Had opened up J102 to make the machine operate in PAL mode by default, had the Kickstart screen displayed on the monitor and realized I had forgotten to put my USB drive into the Gotek. Inserted it, the screen then went black and the system did not boot up. Didn't think doing that would hurt the Amiga but here we are.

Now the system does not display anything at all when switched on. No signal from the RGB or mono composite out jack. The floppy drive is not being accessed. Power LED comes on, blinks 11 times, then solid for a bit. This sequence just repeats. The keyboard does respond to the caps lock button being pressed. No flashing LED codes from the caps lock key on powering the system up though.

Have tried closing J102 back up, removing the SCSI card, replacing the 68010 that I was using with the original, tried putting the OCS Denise chip back in place of the ECS one I had obtained, swapped the CIAs, and tried two different kickstart ROMs. Absolutely no change so far.

I don't have a PLCC extractor yet (ordered one) to remove the Agnus chip but I know reseating the chip along with Paula and Gary couldn't hurt.

Beyond that, any suggestions of things to check for?
Old 09 July 2019, 19:09   #2
DofD

If there is a battery, has it leaked?

It could be a few different things, but here is what I would try.

1. Check your PSU voltages, it could have gotten too weak to properly power your A2000.

2. The circuit that supplies the tick signal in the PSU may not be providing the the signal at all now or is not providing the right frequency. If so, you can get an ATX adapter from here that will provide the needed signal with a new ATX PSU. I have one on my towerized A3000 and it works well.
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...x_adaptor.html

3. When you get your PLCC puller, pull all the chips and give the whole board a good cleaning. When you pull the chips, check for any corrosion, it will be blue/green in colour. If you find any, clean it off.
Old 09 July 2019, 21:44   #3
EchoesFox

The battery leaked before I got it, and I removed the battery the day I got it.

Yes, I neutralized the acid. The battery did not get replaced. The socket did not get reflowed or replaced as the machine ran just fine once everything was cleaned up. I could reflow it if necessary.

The machine is not using an original PSU. That popped shortly after I got it. I made myself an adapter to use any ATX PSU with -5v available. J300 is set accordingly so it's using vertical sync for the tick. I'll still check the continuity of the wires in the adapter and then the voltages. The wires are soldered together but it's been moved around a bit with all the stuff that's been done.

I do know the ATX PSU is putting out 5V at least, as the GBS-8200 still powers up and puts out its own video signal when connected to it.
Old 09 July 2019, 22:16   #4
DofD

Okay. Yeah, I think the next step would be to pull everything apart once you get the PLCC puller and give everything a good cleaning. I've seen examples of strange things and corrosion hiding underneath the PLCC chips.

You may also want to look around where the battery was to see if there is any trace damage. Even with the neutralization of the battery acid, it can get into the traces and slowly damage them over time.
Old 31 July 2019, 22:05   #5
ModMumpitz

Hi,

You should remove the cpu and kick rom and check if there is any green oxide from the leaked battery. You should inspect everything in a radius of 7cm around the the leaked battery. Also grey solder points should be also renewed.

Greetz