English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 18 August 2011, 22:13   #1
MethodGit

SPS #2142 - modified version with infinite lives?

I was just looking at Spellbound Dizzy for a bit and noticed an oddity with the version of the game in your SPS database.

It seems unlimited lives are enabled by default!

When you lose your first life, the life counter looks empty once your game restarts, giving you no clear indication as to how many more you have left. But you can die as many times as you like and the "Game Over" screen still won't pop up! I thought something looked odd about the way "dizzy.dat" on the disk wasn't spelt in upper-case like all the other files, not to mention that it wasn't in a packed format - the Dizzy's Excellent Adventures version (in comparison) uses "SPELLBOUND.DAT" which is packed in an Imploder format.

However, it's hard to call this some kind of unofficial 'hack' considering it does still have the original Rob Northen copylock track on the disk, so this suggests some kind of official hack?

Maybe I need to help find another original copy of this game for you guys!
Old 19 August 2011, 05:41   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Official bug more like. From memory the WHDLoad version has the same problem.

Onto more pressing matters, can you please answer Stingray's question about the Putty patch?

Are you going to try and decrunch Overlord yourself or can you only decrunch games where a packer that has been released (eg. ProPack, Imploder, Powerpacker) or that someone has written a decruncher for you?

I hope this doesn't become another thread where you give up answering and start a new one. That's becoming a real habit of yours.
Old 19 August 2011, 10:32   #3
IFW

It is how the original is.
Old 19 August 2011, 12:28   #4
MethodGit

Ooooh, looks like you did mention this problem before. But then while you claim the DEA version to be 100%, someone else reported a major problem with that one. Does this mean both versions have issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Official bug more like. From memory the WHDLoad version has the same problem.
There's no WHDLoad version of standalone Spellbound Dizzy, so you must mean Dizzy's Excellent Adventures..... which curiously has no Mantis page.

Quote:
Onto more pressing matters, can you please answer Stingray's question about the Putty patch?
I plan on getting round to that actually. It's just a case of finding the time to both type up a loooong response and look at several other games at the same time.
Old 19 August 2011, 12:50   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
There's no WHDLoad version of standalone Spellbound Dizzy, so you must mean Dizzy's Excellent Adventures..... which curiously has no Mantis page.
Interesting. I have written a WHDLoad patch for it but mustn't have released it yet. Another for my WIP list...