English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 10 February 2020, 11:37   #1
moray

James Pond original disk

Hello,

I just bought on ebay James Pond, original with box and manual, but the game doesn't load up.

Loading directly from floppy loads the Vectordean logo and then it is stuck. Just before that I can see a wb window loading up.
I have an A4000D with kickstart 3.1.4 and tried to switch to OCS in the startup menu.

My question is for someone who has the original game and can tell me if this game is supposed to work only on older amigas.

The floppy seems to be almost empty, there is just an exec in it (that loads the logo) and a startup sequence script...

Thanks!
Old 10 February 2020, 11:55   #2
CFOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray View Post
Hello,

I just bought on ebay James Pond, original with box and manual, but the game doesn't load up.

Loading directly from floppy loads the Vectordean logo and then it is stuck. Just before that I can see a wb window loading up.
I have an A4000D with kickstart 3.1.4 and tried to switch to OCS in the startup menu.

My question is for someone who has the original game and can tell me if this game is supposed to work only on older amigas.

The floppy seems to be almost empty, there is just an exec in it (that loads the logo) and a startup sequence script...

Thanks!
In my memory it's normal, game can not be launched on a1200

try to use whdload's patch to install & launch game:
http://www.whdload.de/games/JamesPond.html
Old 10 February 2020, 20:25   #3
Nobby_UK

Just emulated my RAW Image
as 1200 and 4000 = No Go
600 = Fine
Old 10 February 2020, 20:53   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

even if you can load it you'll have a lot of graphical errors due to missing blitter waits

The fact that the floppy is empty means nothing: game uses trackloading. Data is in tracks, but not in files.

whdload is the solution on AGA amigas.
Old 11 February 2020, 00:25   #5
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
whdload is the solution on AGA amigas.
WHDLoad is the solution for ALL Amigas!
Old 11 February 2020, 12:15   #6
moray

Ok Thanks, I'll do some tests with whdload then, it didn't work when I tried the first time, some issues with the image, that's why I was wondering...
Old 11 February 2020, 12:26   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Ok Thanks, I'll do some tests with whdload then, it didn't work when I tried the first time, some issues with the image, that's why I was wondering...
If you download the installer and slave from WHDLOAD.DE, then you can at least know if your disk is ok or not as the imager in that install is configured to only read in an original disk of James Pond.

If it refuses to image, then there is likely damage to the disk.
Old 11 February 2020, 13:24   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
WHDLoad is the solution for ALL Amigas!
Not strictly true. Lots and lots of WHDload slaves don't work well on 68000 based AMIGAs like unaccelerated A500/A600/A2000

Definitely recommend for an A4000 for most titles
Old 11 February 2020, 20:03   #9
th4t1guy

You could also try booting with degrader disk (you may also need to disable cpu cache as well).
Old 13 February 2020, 12:12   #10
moray

Thanks guys, I'll try as soon as I can. I already tried with WHDload and doing the image of the disk worked but the game won't run (I'll check the error). Also I remember I had to choose from 2 versions before doing the image.

I'll give a try to degrader too, but it looks like the disk is legit, that was what I was afraid of in the first place. I also have an Amiga1000 at my parents and I'll be there in 1 month or so and I will be able to try it (hoping it won't require 1MB)
Old 13 February 2020, 13:08   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
you certainly can't run a game like james pond on A4000 without whdload.

This game was made to run on A500. the 4000 runs way way faster, never mind the blitter waits needed on A4000.

the game is an ST port using an ST disk format/wrapper. there is a startup sequence, loading the loader which at his turn pass on track loading.
Old 13 February 2020, 17:56   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

if you see a whdload slave not working properly on 68000 please open a mantis issue.
Old 18 February 2020, 02:31   #13
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Not strictly true. Lots and lots of WHDload slaves don't work well on 68000 based AMIGAs like unaccelerated A500/A600/A2000

Definitely recommend for an A4000 for most titles
I haven't had many issues with my A2000/010. In fact I'd say that the 060 is far more troublesome with regards to WHDLoad.
Old 18 February 2020, 02:42   #14
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the game is an ST port using an ST disk format/wrapper. there is a startup sequence, loading the loader which at his turn pass on track loading.
Seems like a very strange way to go about it. The Amiga version has many enhancements to the ST version, it's far from being a 1:1 port.
Old 18 February 2020, 08:28   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I haven't had many issues with my A2000/010.
Not exactly an unaccelerated 68000 Amiga. The problem is usually seen in games that really push the limits of the machine where the addition of the code to check if the blitter is finished exceed the number of instructions within an interrupt period. The intro to Turrican III (1.4 slave and below) for example where the music (which is 7 channel TFMX) plays so slowly. Naturally every one I've found I have reported and some (like this) have been fixed over time but some the slave author has left the scene. Also I stopped using a 68000 Amiga and stopped reporting them.
Old 18 February 2020, 09:48   #16
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Not exactly an unaccelerated 68000 Amiga. The problem is usually seen in games that really push the limits of the machine where the addition of the code to check if the blitter is finished exceed the number of instructions within an interrupt period. The intro to Turrican III (1.4 slave and below) for example where the music (which is 7 channel TFMX) plays so slowly. Naturally every one I've found I have reported and some (like this) have been fixed over time but some the slave author has left the scene. Also I stopped using a 68000 Amiga and stopped reporting them.
There's little difference between the 68000 and 68010. The 68010 is a drop in replacement and runs at the same clock speed.

Now that you mention it though, I think I do recall issues with Turrican 3.
Old 18 February 2020, 09:59   #17
Retro1234
Boo

Never ever had a problem with WHDload on 68000.
Probably just as many as don't work right on Expanded Amiga, but doesn't seem common not many people complaing of this.
Old 18 February 2020, 10:23   #18
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Seems like a very strange way to go about it. The Amiga version has many enhancements to the ST version, it's far from being a 1:1 port.
It's true however that the amiga version has many enhancements. But the disk format betrays on which machine the game has been written on and mastered.