English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 13 January 2020, 16:17   #1
sneckburger

Outer Worlds - Obsidian

Am I missing something?
Why is this game getting good reviews?
I gave it my best shot to try and get into it thinking it was a slow burner, but after about 10 hours playtime I just can’t endure the boredom any longer.
Old 13 January 2020, 16:23   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Cause it's better than Fallout 76.
Old 13 January 2020, 16:57   #3
sneckburger

Not played Fallout 76 - due to bad reviews.
Though I did buy Outer worlds based on good ones.

Are the positive reviews just backlash at Bethesda? Surly can't.
I'm totally confused why its rated so high. Thought the game was extremely boring.
Especially the Parvati side quests. And the the one where you had to find a f**ing poster for someone. FFS I know they're just side quest but were they out of ideas or something?

I must just be too old to enjoy these type of games anymore :-(
Old 13 January 2020, 17:02   #4
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

I've not sure about you, but I enjoyed playing it both times, one time doing Parvati quest line, second time killing her just to see how will game progress.

I believe that people like it because you can play it so many times and game will play differently every time based on your selection on creation of characters and how do you (re)distribute points.

You can play game without killing anyone, or even killing everyone... where some other games will not allow you that.

I have Fallout 76 on xBox, but never installed it (just didn't get time to do it) . Paid whole $2 for it. (Library was selling extra games, got 5 of them for 10 bucks)
Old 13 January 2020, 17:02   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

What about other Fallout games from Bethesda, did you play and enjoy those?
They're absolutely awful when it comes to grasping the humor and atmosphere of Fallout 1 & 2, Bethesda has no idea what defined them, but some people like it, and those people wanted Outer Worlds.
Old 14 January 2020, 13:39   #6
sneckburger

I’ve played Fallout3, 4 and Vegas and enjoyed them all but with OW I got very bored playing it and the story alone wasn’t enough to keep me engaged.
I haven’t seen any spoilers but the story seemed like it was heading for an obvious conclusion but varied with compromises ranging from cruel to honourable depending on your path. I didn’t get excited about it, and neither with the side quest to get your asexual companion laid by her lesbian lover!?
I found the graphics painful on the eyes probably because of the choice of colours in the game with only a handful of vistas / areas that seemed to be worth any appreciation.
The “atmospheric” music was ok to begin with, but in Stellar bay the music was simply just annoying. At least in Fallout3+ you had the option of a radio, which IMO gave a better atmosphere.
The varied weapons and combat gameplay seemed no better than what Fallout had done back in 2008 and certainly isn’t any better with just VATS replaced by a slow-motion.
Admittedly the game combat mechanics were never the strength of the game engine but I still got excited to play fallout3, Vegas and fallout 4. Id sometimes stay up until 2am playing Fallout 3 but with OW I can’t play for more than an hour.

Remember in Fallout 3 the first time you find Megaton, the gates open up and it felt as you could have easily walked past the place even though its “meant” to be your first town to visit.
Exploration in OW seemed linear in comparison with locations unlocked from doing quests. All towns in OW looked the same whereas Fallout Megaton was vastly different to Tenpenny tower and capital city ruins different to Springvale ruins. As basic as the main story was in Fallout3 the side quests like “ pint-sized Slasher” and “Our little Secret” were pretty cool.

If I’d had finished OW I might have had a different opinion but I was just I was too bored before I got to the end. Saying that I don’t think I would have forgotten how bored I was in the time it took to get there..

I can see the appeal of a good story but you might as well read an adventure book. At least it’ll be less painful on the eyes.
Old 14 January 2020, 14:01   #7
Hewitson

I was very tempted to get The Outer Worlds. The previews looked great. Then someone speedran it in 12 minutes.
Old 14 January 2020, 16:04   #8
sneckburger

I’m beginning to wonder if Bethesda have been intentionally bombing this game with positive reviews to make a mockery of the online review communities? Because IMO it certainly does.
It seems I’m not the only one left confused why this game is rated so high. It’s probably one of the worst games I’ve ever played.
Old 15 January 2020, 14:57   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I was very tempted to get The Outer Worlds. The previews looked great. Then someone speedran it in 12 minutes.
The video where the devs comment on that speedrun is quite enjoyable, it really blows their minds that the player manages to skip like 95% of the game

Didn't stop me from getting it, the fact that you can break the game in such a way does not make it less fun when you play it normally.
Old 15 January 2020, 17:19   #10
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

I wonder how many people spoiled game by using cheats or exploits, to play game as unintended and lost all fun otherwise hidden in game for them...

I liked Outer World story, even cheese one with Parvati, or how game reacts when you do something stupid, like kill Ellie's parents. It was nice experience and I enjoyed playing it.

But just to point out, I never purchased the game. I played it on XGP and I suggest everyone play it that way. You can get 1 month for 1 bucks - why not?!
Old 15 January 2020, 18:45   #11
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
I actually liked the game . I played a different angle and was satisfied with the outcome . However its far to short for my taste.
Old 15 January 2020, 19:54   #12
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonay View Post
I actually liked the game . I played a different angle and was satisfied with the outcome . However its far to short for my taste.
Isn't that what most of new games are? It seems to me that game was really made for casual player. Took me some time to finish game, but mostly because I suck at games...

One thing I forgot to mention in previous post, I actually liked how graphics really were out of this world... not your regular beasts and/or woods like in many other games. They really made 'different system' experience. Each planet or ship were made in details and well placed, often into puzzle.
Old 16 January 2020, 13:40   #13
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Isn't that what most of new games are? It seems to me that game was really made for casual player. Took me some time to finish game, but mostly because I suck at games...

One thing I forgot to mention in previous post, I actually liked how graphics really were out of this world... not your regular beasts and/or woods like in many other games. They really made 'different system' experience. Each planet or ship were made in details and well placed, often into puzzle.

This is where I'm confused as many positive reviews mention these "good points" It as if they were reviewing the game with rose tinted glasses or something .I also consider myself a casual gamer as when you have kids you can’t really consider yourself anything but.
The graphics were on par with Fallout 3 from the last gen console but the colours were a horrible saturated contrast between enemies and background. To me it was like looking at one of those magic eye posters from the '90s.
I also didn't notice any details in the graphics. Not like... say another new release like Resident Evil 2. Now that is a game worth its good reviews.
Old 16 January 2020, 14:37   #14
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

This is why we are all entitled to our own opinion and experience the same game differently.

There is a chance that my better experience with the same game had to do with me expecting less from the game or fact that I did not pay 40+ bucks for the game.

If graphics in the game for you don't look out of this world, I don't know what does. I liked colors and look of game... but again...

Last edited by Anubis; 16 January 2020 at 19:11.
Old 16 January 2020, 15:19   #15
sneckburger

I totally respect your opinion or anyone else who actually thought this game is a gem.
If anything I'm annoyed with myself for not understanding the hype.
But I can't help but thinking people are rating OW a 10 as a middle finger to Bethesda and the Fallout 76 fiasco.