English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 January 2020, 18:05   #21
Firestone

I think I would have backed up 68030.library and mmu.library (move them out of the sys:libs/ folder) and cold restarted your A3000 and give it another go.....

I got issues on my A3000 with these libraries, but these problems are probably related to 3.1.4 is beeing kicked via the Superkickstart-ROM and me using the Blizzard 4030-board.

I got SCSI2SD v5.0 as my only drive by the way.
Old 05 January 2020, 16:10   #22
Armitage

I gave that a try and moved those two libs out, then I tested a variety of games with PRELOAD enabled. Some of them still crashed right away, others actually loaded to the main menu but crashed later, and another gave me a flashing orange screen which is new behavior. So, different results but not the smoking gun. For what it's worth, I have yet to remove the Z2 ram board as I'm waiting on upgrading the on-board memory.
Old 05 January 2020, 16:24   #23
DamienD
Global Moderator

What happens if your use the "Amiga Early Startup Control" (hold both mouse buttons down immediately upon power on), select "Boot With No Startup-Sequence" and then try running the games like this?
assign env: ram: <press enter>
loadwb <press enter>
endcli <press enter>
or

You could even skip "loadwb" + "endcli" to save more Chip RAM, and just load the game directly from CLI.

So let's say for example Battle Chess.

If it's installed into "DH0:BatteleChessHD" then now type:
cd BattleChessHD <press enter>
whdload BattleChess.slave preload <press enter>
Old 07 January 2020, 16:48   #24
Armitage

When I boot direct to the CLI with no startup-sequence, pretty much everything works correctly with PRELOAD. I'm curious if it's the WB environment or something in my startup-sequence (I posted a copy on page 1) that's responsible for these memory errors though.
Old 07 January 2020, 16:51   #25
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
I'm curious if it's the WB environment or something in my startup-sequence (I posted a copy on page 1) that's responsible for these memory errors though.
Definitely, you're probably using up too much Chip RAM

I would disable stuff from the "S/Startup-Sequence" or "S/User-Startup" like:
  • AssignWedge
  • ClickToFront
  • MagicMenu
  • Rewincy
  • ToolsMenu
  • WindowTiler
Old 07 January 2020, 17:17   #26
Armitage

I disabled all of the tools just to see and I was still having crashes from the WB I could try and disable the v45 intuition library and see if that helps.
Old 07 January 2020, 17:35   #27
daxb

How much chipram and fastram is free after booting WB? On my system it is around 1,7 MB chip and > 20 MB fast and that is enough for WHDLoad stuff.
Old 07 January 2020, 18:11   #28
Armitage

I disabled all the tools and intuition.library V45. Still crashing with memory errors on preload.

With everything off: 1,978,008 chip free, 11,125,632 fast free
With everything on: 1,969,568 chip free, 10,715,784 fast free
Old 07 January 2020, 20:46   #29
daxb

That should be enough memory. I don't see something in your S-S. But what about your U-S?
Old 07 January 2020, 21:29   #30
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah, "Startup-Sequence" looks fine. "User-Startup" may also help but...

You have run memory testers on your Amiga haven't you?
Old 07 January 2020, 23:03   #31
Armitage

It appears that I do not have an S:User-Startup at all.

I did run a memory test utility from Aminet and it reported everything was fine :/
Old 08 January 2020, 13:41   #32
daxb

If it all works when you start without startup-sequence and from WB not. Then I would try to trace the startup-sequence. First try, start without startup-sequence then type SetPatch and then start a WHDLoad game then didn't worked from WB but without startup-sequence as reference. If the game works go further in the startup-sequence.

Btw. is APPS: a device name (I think so) or an assign?
Old 09 January 2020, 16:59   #33
pipper

Is the ZIP fastram all of the same type (I.e. fast page mode vs. static column ram)? If not, make sure the FPM ram occupies the first socket of bank 0. Otherwise the SETPATCH command in the startup sequence may want to accidentally activate SC mode for the ram which will lead to memory corruption. I had a similar issue with my A3000, even crashing almost immediately after the setpatch command.
Old 18 January 2020, 14:41   #34
Armitage

I tested booting with no start-sequence and then starting WB from the CLI without running SetPatch or anything else except setting the path. Even then the whdload games crash with preload enabled :/

Good question about the ZIP RAM, it came with the system (only 2MB) and I've never looked at it. My plan is to replace it all with a ZIP to SIMM adapter and take it up to 16MB anyway. I'll take a look and see if there are any differences in the chips.
Old 29 February 2020, 17:12   #35
Armitage

Just to close the loop on this, I finally got the machine upgraded to 16 MB of FAST RAM on the mainboard using a 60ns SIMM and adapter. With the extra memory, all whdload games and demos that previously won't work with preload work fine now. I even put the 8-Up! board back in and things continue to work fine. I assume that is because nothing preloads so much that it fills up the 16MB and overflows to the Z2 card. Why the Z2 RAM causes these issues remains a mystery.