English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 September 2010, 01:10   #1
daznic

Clarity of text

My poor old eyes are suffering ! - I just can`t get a comfortable picture on my A1200 that does not give me eye strain to read the text, I love text and point & click adventures & my eyes now are killing me !
I`m using a 14 inch CRT TV which has composite input, and a scart input which supports RGB, I`m using an Amiga RGB scart cable, and have also tried a composite cable straight into the front input on the TV. To be honest there is not really any difference between Composite and scart, games are nice & bright & colourful & look great, it`s just the text is too difficult to read for prolonged periods.
I`ve tried a 14 Inch LCD TV also with the scart lead, this makes a great Monitor for my PC as it has VGA input and with the Amiga connected in the Scart the text is definately clearer, but I am getting a bit of flickering and the colours are a bit washed out - also the wife won`t let me have this as it`s out of our holiday caravan ! ( I can hear her now shouting "put it back" ! )
It`s probably just old age creeping up on me & I do have sensitive eyes anyway, so what can I do ? - I`ve been reading about the AGA Scandoubler / Flicker fixer - is it worth getting one of these & using a 17inch Dell LCD PC Monitor that I have ? - How are fast moving games with these, will I get flickering or are they OK for games ?
BTW, I only use my Amiga for games, nothing else.
Forgot to mention, the text on my C64 seems to be a bit better on the TV than the Amiga, and the Spectrum 128 is the best of all !!

Going to bed now to rest my eyes !!
Old 07 September 2010, 01:13   #2
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Yep, grab an Indivision & your eyes will thank you!

It is GREAT for games, super-clear & crisp!

PZ.
Old 07 September 2010, 09:30   #3
meega

Try a 19-21" CRT TV, you should be able to get one for nothing or up to £5-10 or so. Bigger piccy, bigger writing.
Old 07 September 2010, 09:33   #4
daznic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
Try a 19-21" CRT TV, you should be able to get one for nothing or up to £5-10 or so. Bigger piccy, bigger writing.
Good thought - but my problem is with crt, I think its not the size that bothers me, but the definition, my eyes are sensitive to the brightness given off by the screen, an LCD can have lower brightness and contrast and stay sharp.
Old 07 September 2010, 10:02   #5
meega

But an LCD will almost certainly not be running at the exact resolution necessary for perfect display, so will be inherently compromised there.

I'm sure that I don't need to say "try adjusting/reducing brightness/contrast/colour to improve things if possible", so I've said it anyway, but you might try a glare-reducing filter over the front of your screen - such a thing can make quite a difference.
Old 07 September 2010, 10:22   #6
daznic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
But an LCD will almost certainly not be running at the exact resolution necessary for perfect display, so will be inherently compromised there.

I'm sure that I don't need to say "try adjusting/reducing brightness/contrast/colour to improve things if possible", so I've said it anyway, but you might try a glare-reducing filter over the front of your screen - such a thing can make quite a difference.

Yeah, I`ve adjusted the TV to death ! - The glare filter is a good idea though, thanks - I`ll try to get hold of one.
Old 07 September 2010, 12:01   #7
ajk

Depends on the LCD, of course, but if it's got a fairly high resolution like 1280 across or more, scaling low-res game screens will be quite sharp; almost certainly sharper than an old 14" CRT TV. There will be so many LCD pixels per Amiga pixel that the interpolation blurriness doesn't matter that much anymore. And of course there will no longer be any flicker.
Old 07 September 2010, 12:06   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You could look out for a slightly larger LCD TV, that would be cheaper than an Indivision. A 17 or 19in would be ideal, we need to get a list together of the TV's that are most Amiga friendly as some just give poor results (flickering and such)

I've got a JVC 17in (Model No. ends in BJG cant remember the rest off hand) However this is the most awesome display I've ever used for an Amiga and it only cost me 25 squids off ebay! Flicker free and crystal clear in all display modes via RGB scart, even High Res Laced 640x512(interlaced)

If you can find one of those you won't regret it!

Steve.
Old 07 September 2010, 13:46   #9
daznic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
You could look out for a slightly larger LCD TV, that would be cheaper than an Indivision. A 17 or 19in would be ideal, we need to get a list together of the TV's that are most Amiga friendly as some just give poor results (flickering and such)

I've got a JVC 17in (Model No. ends in BJG cant remember the rest off hand) However this is the most awesome display I've ever used for an Amiga and it only cost me 25 squids off ebay! Flicker free and crystal clear in all display modes via RGB scart, even High Res Laced 640x512(interlaced)

If you can find one of those you won't regret it!

Steve.
Thanks Steve, this is what I`ll probably do - cheaper than the Indivision & I`ll be able to use it with my C64 & Speccy too. It would definately be useful to get other users results with their LCD Scart TV`s before I get looking !
Old 07 September 2010, 13:54   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznic View Post
Thanks Steve, this is what I`ll probably do - cheaper than the Indivision & I`ll be able to use it with my C64 & Speccy too. It would definately be useful to get other users results with their LCD Scart TV`s before I get looking !
Indeed, mine is perfect for the Speccy too, I use my 128k on it via Scart as well

If you click on the links in my Sig, the TV features in all my project posts - its the black one you're looking out for. The White JVC I use on the A4000 is ok, but not as good as the Black Non HD JVC Set.
Old 07 September 2010, 14:05   #11
ajk

Here's my A500 on an LG via SCART. Exact model is M237WDP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lg.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	26393  
Old 07 September 2010, 14:09   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Found it!

Mine is:

JVC LT-17E31BJG

Its a 'Widescreen' same as ajk's so you can run with the black bars at the side or stratch/zoom the picture. Great for games that play in letterbox
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7904.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	26394  
Old 07 September 2010, 16:04   #13
daznic

Thanks for the pics guys, they both look great. Anyone else with pics of their LCD TV`s would be very much appreciated !
Old 07 September 2010, 23:11   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznic View Post
Anyone else with pics of their LCD TV`s would be very much appreciated !
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1604
Old 07 September 2010, 23:59   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Awesome Prowler

Do you get any flicker in the High Res modes?
Old 08 September 2010, 00:11   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Do you get any flicker in the High Res modes?
None at all!

I'm so impressed with this set, I use it all the time.

It's attached to my PC now via a HD 15-pin M-M SVGA lead, and to my A1200 via RGB to SCART. I can swap between the two by changing the source on the remote.

When they finally switch exclusively to Digital TV broadcasting, we're getting a large widescreen HD Toshiba for use as our main TV!