English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 24 October 2012, 17:00   #41
jhorneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Something confuses me re: Thalion. IIRC, Amiga Power reviewed both X-Fighter and the English version of Ambermoon within the same issue (AP51). If Thalion GmbH had already been defunct for (almost) a year by then, how was the English Ambermoon able to make its way to reviewers, deals done etc? Did this supposedly alternative Thalion obtain the English Ambermoon rights at the time or something?
I don't know anything about X-Fighter, but I can shed a little light on this mystery.

Ambermoon (in German) had been finished and released by late 93. The remaining developers at Thalion GmbH (I was one of them) moved to Blue Byte to start work on Albion.

Thalion as a company continued to exist for quite a while, although I don't know much about what happened to them and I don't think they developed anything.

Tony King wanted to release Ambermoon in English, so we made an arrangement with him. He provided us with localized texts, we integrated it and sent him the master discs, and he then organized the release in the UK.

Hope that clarifies things a little. I'm very glad the game came out in the UK (even though we couldn't support it post release). It was one of the most polished games I've worked on and had quite a few easter eggs, most of which I have forgotten

Old 24 October 2012, 17:05   #42
jhorneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
You know, I always wondered why Ambermoon looked so familiar in parts to Albion (which I played lots in the past), haha. I take it it pretty much started off as a Thalion project before BlueByte got involved (and used the same engine programmers)?
No, it didn't actually. But we decided to use the same tools as we used for the Amber series, because we wanted to 'quickly get a new game out' (Albion took 2 years to develop).

The engine was rewritten from scratch... twice. I started writing it in 68K assembler, just like the Amber games. 6 months in Commodore went bust and we decided to switch to PC and C. So I had to start again.

Albion's 3D engine was written by an external programmer and was completely different from the one in Ambermoon, which was written by Michael Bittner (who didn't join us at Blue Byte). The Ambermoon engine was an incredible feat. I first saw it running in early January 1991 (!) on an Atari ST.

Old 24 October 2012, 17:06   #43
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Hello jurie, i am actually translating the gam e in french ; to say the least, it renders great when the text is shown in moliere's

I am correcting errors when i find them ; i have reverse engineered the text files with all te offsets and posiions inside them
Old 26 October 2012, 16:24   #44
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorneman View Post
Tony King wanted to release Ambermoon in English, so we made an arrangement with him. He provided us with localized texts, we integrated it and sent him the master discs, and he then organized the release in the UK.
It never made it to commercial release. Erik Simon sent me the copy of the English version of Ambermoon he had in 1998 and I leaked it to the world through the Thalion webshrine. Not sure why it never made it. Perhaps due to the minor txt bugs that were subsequently discovered by us Thalion fans?

I loved Amberstar, it was one of the greatest story driven games I ever played. Ambermoon came slightly too late to grab me quite as much but I still loved it.

I look forward to seeing you again at STNICC2k15

Last edited by alexh; 30 November 2012 at 19:28.
Old 02 November 2012, 16:58   #45
jhorneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
It never made it to commercial release. Eric Simon sent me the copy of the English version of Ambermoon he had in 1998 and I leaked it to the world through the Thalion webshrine. Not sure why it never made it. Perhaps due to the minor txt bugs that were subsequently discovered by us Thalion fans?

I loved Amberstar, it was one of the greatest story driven games I ever played. Ambermoon came slightly too late to grab me quite as much but I still loved it.

I look forward to seeing you again at STNICC2k15
('Erik' with a 'k'. He will punish you if he finds out )

Actually, Thalion UK was... shaky... in 1994. They may not have had the funds to bring it to market.

Re text bugs: sorry. I strongly doubt the game went through QA. I don't even think we released an update for the German version (which did go through QA).

And yeah, STNICC2K15! And/or another Thalion reunion maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Hello jurie, i am actually translating the gam e in french ; to say the least, it renders great when the text is shown in moliere's

I am correcting errors when i find them ; i have reverse engineered the text files with all te offsets and posiions inside them
Je suis désolé! I have forgotten everything about the formats, although I doubt they were very complicated. Bonne chance.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 02 November 2012 at 22:31. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged

Old 11 December 2014, 01:08   #46
Don_Adan

Christmas time, new version of Nobby The Aardvark slave is available on
the Wanted Team page. Mars level can be now finished.