English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 16 October 2011, 05:55   #1
AmigaDave

Need hardware experts help

I am a noob at modding, but have some ancient experience with a soldering iron from the days when TV's still had tubes in their circuits.

I am trying to install my Efika5200b into my 233MHz G3 iMac and need some help in finding out the pinouts of the VGA header on my HIS Radeon 9250 video card and the pinout of my 233MHz G3 iMac's CRT monitor's two row 15pin VGA connector.

From what I have been able to find, it appears that Apple did not follow just one standard for that size and type of connector for their monitors on various models. So, I am unsure of the pinout for the cable that goes from the G3 iMac's logic board to the 233MHz G3 iMac's CRT. The cable that goes to the G3 CRT has a male two row 15pin VGA connector.

The Radeon 9250 card I have looks like this one, with the header connected to a standard 15pin HD connector. I was hoping that the VGA header pinout would be a industry standard that someone could tell me about, as I have not been able to find it myself.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...161-152-11.jpg

First I tried to make an adapter from the 15pin HD female connector and ribbon cable that came with my HIS Radeon 9250 card by unsoldering and removing the ribbon cable from the female connector, with the idea that I would solder this female connector to the cable that is connected to the iMac's monitor. Being unsure of the pinout for that monitor cable made me pause. Then the difficulty of soldering to the connector came into play.

I did it, but did not like the look of the reliability of the tiny wires and their connection to the female connector, so I scrapped that idea and sacrificed a VGA cable with the thought of doing a wire to wire splice from the 15pin iMac cable, to the 15pin HD male connector on the VGA cable. So now I am back to wondering if I have the right pinouts for the iMac VGA cable to the CRT monitor.

I also have the connector to the VGA header on the Radeon 9250 video card and would prefer to just place the correct wires from the iMac's CRT cable into this header connector and plug it into my 9250 video card.

I don't know if this makes sense to any of you, but if anyone thinks they can help me complete this video connection correctly, or can provide a link to info that will help me, I would really appreciate it. I know of at least one modding project where someone put an ION mobo into a G3 iMac and used the existing iMac CRT for his display.