English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 March 2017, 07:17   #1
IvanEBC

Can a 9pin Null do the same as a 25pin

Hiya Folks

For an upcoming Amiga project, i need a 9pin Null Modeml (Need = makes life easier).

I got a 25pin cable that works great between two real Amigas from Amigakit, tested with Stunt Car and other games and they all work but i know not all cables are equal, and certain cables may work with some games, but not others. Unfortunately, i can't tell looking at any company site selling them or ebay what the pinouts are, and if a 9pin version can even create the correct cable as if it was a 25pin.

So which cable is the best, correctly compatible 9pin Null Modem cable if it exists?

Thanks
Old 08 March 2017, 07:55   #2
Jope
-

This one looks fine:

In reality most games only require RX+TX+GND, RX and TX naturally swapped on the other end.

CD <-> DTR might pose a problem for some games that require the "carrier" to be up all the time.
Old 08 March 2017, 09:28   #3
IvanEBC

Yeah ... but i'm not making it, wondered if you knew a place to buy one, like Amigakit as an example, but they only have the 25pin version.
Old 08 March 2017, 09:34   #4
IvanEBC

Sorry - second part to this. Saying that it might have some issues with games that require the carrier to be up all the time, does the 25pin cable have this issue as well or is this an issue only with the 9pin because there isn't enough pins for that feature, kinda part of my original question about if 9pin cables can do exactly the same as the 25pin cables can.
Old 08 March 2017, 09:50   #5
idrougge

It sounds as though you're planning to connect it to the joystick ports?
Old 08 March 2017, 16:56   #6
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
Sorry - second part to this. Saying that it might have some issues with games that require the carrier to be up all the time, does the 25pin cable have this issue as well or is this an issue only with the 9pin because there isn't enough pins for that feature, kinda part of my original question about if 9pin cables can do exactly the same as the 25pin cables can.
It is down to how the cable is hooked up. As you can see from the picture, there is a wire connecting carrier detect to the DSR/DTR signals.

There are many kinds of null modem cables, it's up to you to select what kind you need.

Just about all of the relevant signals are also present in the 9 pin serial port, the type of connector for each end all boils down to what you really want to hook up together.
Old 09 March 2017, 12:33   #7
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
It sounds as though you're planning to connect it to the joystick ports?
More like 2 PC's serial ports..... but want to make sure i get full function, IE, i used a USB to Amiga 4000, Lotus 2 worked, but not stunt car racer. It was a cable that i got and works with Amiga Explorer, but i want to extend that ability. And want to option to go from PC to PC as well. So 9 pin NUll modem fully featured is what i'm hoping to find.
Old 09 March 2017, 12:58   #8
ptyerman

You can find what your after here: http://www.cabledepot.co.uk/null-modem-c-108_248.html
The postage wouldn't be cheap though. You would be better doing a google or ebay search. A quick search on ebay UK brings up 787 results, you should find something in your neck of the woods.
Old 09 March 2017, 13:09   #9
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
You can find what your after here: http://www.cabledepot.co.uk/null-modem-c-108_248.html
The postage wouldn't be cheap though. You would be better doing a google or ebay search. A quick search on ebay UK brings up 787 results, you should find something in your neck of the woods.
Yeah, again this is the crux of the issue, yeah i found a tonne on ebay but they don't show you the wiring, they don't even know if it is Amiga compatible, that's why i'm asking here.

Hoping someone has purchased one that they know does the job and point me to the link, i think i'm chasing my tail here....

Last edited by IvanEBC; 09 March 2017 at 13:19.
Old 09 March 2017, 13:44   #10
xArtx

Stunt car racer works with just tx, rx, and ground connected to each other.. just 3 wires.
...at least to the point where it knows it’s linked and asks for player names.
NComm can also transfer a file that way with ZModem protocol.
So if you didn’t get there there’s some other problem.
Old 09 March 2017, 13:57   #11
Jope
-

So you're aiming to play link games between an amiga emulator and a real amiga? You will probably find that it's not the null modem cable's fault if some game refuses to communicate. :-)

Emulation is not cycle exact with the real world and the usb -> rs232 adapters are also very hit and miss.
Old 10 March 2017, 08:37   #12
ptyerman

Yeah as already said, it's possibly not the cables fault for any errors. Any NULL modem cable will work on the Amiga or the PC or anything else with a RS232 port, there is nothing special about them, just rx and tx swapped on each end. The problems appear where serial cables supply power over the cable, but that doesn't apply to a NULL modem cable so you will be safe.
The one I use has both DB25 and DB9 connectors on both ends and can be plugged into either type of port and works fine between my Amiga's and PC's, and Atari 800 & 600XL's.
Get one of those and you will be good to go.
Old 11 March 2017, 05:38   #13
xArtx

I haven’t found a USB to serial dongle yet that is 12 Volt RS232.
It’s only the CD32 they are compatible with unless you provide the level conversion with MAX232 or similar.
Old 11 March 2017, 07:10   #14
bwldrbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
Yeah, again this is the crux of the issue, yeah i found a tonne on ebay but they don't show you the wiring, they don't even know if it is Amiga compatible, that's why i'm asking here.

Hoping someone has purchased one that they know does the job and point me to the link, i think i'm chasing my tail here....
I've purchased one from Jaycar like this: https://www.jaycar.com.au/db9-female...-lead/p/WC7513 along with a db9 to db25 adapter. It works fine with Amigas.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 13 March 2017, 07:43   #15
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwldrbst View Post
I've purchased one from Jaycar like this: https://www.jaycar.com.au/db9-female...-lead/p/WC7513 along with a db9 to db25 adapter. It works fine with Amigas.

Cheers,

Andrew
BRILLIANT! I'll grab one tomorrow....
Old 15 March 2017, 18:07   #16
kolla

I prefer null-modem connections over bluetooth these days if distances are involved, that is how my CD32/SX32Pro and Minimig are online