English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 29 June 2018, 06:03   #1
Snowwie

Send a message via ICQ to Snowwie
Some form of internal storage in an Amiga 500?

Hi there everybody,

I am an old school Amiga 500 owner and I just work with plain old floppy discs. All fun and game and I have a nephew who does it too and we create like this same kind of social aspect we had in the 90s.

One thing just annoys me a little, I have two programs that I use very often:
- XCopy Pro
- ADF Transfer Utility Disk

Especially number two takes a long time to load.

Now I know there can be a harddrive mounted to the left side of the Amiga. But I don't want to spend that much money looking for an old A590 or GPV drive. Is there any easy cheap sollution that uses the side port to create an internal drive option? Sort of SCSI to IDE option?

And then attach such like this to it:
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/5774...specificaties/

Cheap, reliable and with 256MB more then enough for Workbench 1.3 with some tools.

In these times were many custom Amiga hardware is created something like this should exist right? Who wants clumsy hardware to the left port of their A500?
Old 29 June 2018, 06:27   #2
ajk

There are lots of solutions both internal and external, I am surprised if you have not seen at least some of these around

Not everything is always in stock (this stuff tends to be built in batches) so you may need to look into the used market if in a rush, but:

The ACA500/+ for an external solution

MKL's various products for internal expansion

kipper2k's similar products also internal

The Vampire line of accelerators - although these are significant upgrades and not cheap

There are probably others too that I'm forgetting here. Do some searches here on this forum, and on AmiBay, and also YouTube for reviews and experiences.
Old 29 June 2018, 06:41   #3
Snowwie

The ACA500/+ for an external solution
- Which I don't want, an external solution. :-)

MKL's various products for internal expansion
- This website does not show a clear 'product' for 'easy installation', with clear selling points or does look user friendly at all. Hmmm

kipper2k's similar products also internal
- This one looks the most promising of all, question is, is it still available?

The Vampire line of accelerators - although these are significant upgrades and not cheap
- Indeed not cheap, but a great product. But for only WB 1.3 and some classic Amiga 500 games too much overkill, even if it were cheaper.
Old 29 June 2018, 07:42   #4
ajk

MKL's and kipper2k's adapters are roughly the same in function, his website is indeed a bit of a mess but at least the adapters seem to be available: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...600-CF-adapter

kipper2k may have moved onto other things now, not really sure, but the adapters come up for sale from time to time regardless.

There is also of course the option of a USB floppy drive emulator, there are various kinds around. Probably the cheapest is a Gotek drive from eBay and the FlashFloppy firmware to go with it. It's not a hard drive, of course, but instead of floppies you can use a memory stick which is quite convenient.
Old 29 June 2018, 12:57   #5
duga

Wicher 500i for internal installation in Amiga 500/500 Plus. https://retro.7-bit.pl/?lang=en&go=p...ame=wicher500i
Old 29 June 2018, 13:24   #6
Amiga4000

And there's this board which I just ordered (not arrived yet) and already out of stock again. They usually sell in batches of 10 which sell out quit quickly and come up about every 30 days. Just keep checking for stock every day. Real nice and compact solution.

https://sordan.ie/product/583/turbo-...ide-amiga-500/

Old 29 June 2018, 14:36   #7
Hewitson

It's not that compact when you consider that the HDD, ribbon cable, and power cable, will have to be external to the A500 case. Looks like a great product, but the final result would be a bit of an eyesore in my opinion.
Old 29 June 2018, 14:39   #8
ajk

If it doesn't need to be an actual hard drive, it's easier. I stuck a CF adapter in the trapdoor slot when facing a similar situation. Keeps it accessible yet out of sight. Here's a thread with some photos.
Old 29 June 2018, 15:29   #9
Amiga4000

This is what it looks like inside the A500...... sorry, linked pic is big. Looks fairly small to me & completely internal & I don't see how it could be an eye-sore & no power cable or ribbon cable needed & it comes with the CF adapter for free.

Old 29 June 2018, 15:58   #10
Hewitson

What's the point of having a CF card that you cannot easily remove and reinsert. Surely the main benefit of having such a solution is that you can easily transfer data from a Mac/PC to the Amiga.
Old 29 June 2018, 18:43   #11
Snowwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
And there's this board which I just ordered (not arrived yet) and already out of stock again. They usually sell in batches of 10 which sell out quit quickly and come up about every 30 days. Just keep checking for stock every day. Real nice and compact solution.

https://sordan.ie/product/583/turbo-...ide-amiga-500/

That seems the ideal option. Not to pricey, gives some powerboost too and some extra memory. I will keep an eye on this one. Thanks.

Edit: Now I have checked this item even more, and I think it's the IDEAL solution for what I seek.

Last edited by Snowwie; 30 June 2018 at 14:23.
Old 29 June 2018, 21:32   #12
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
What's the point of having a CF card that you cannot easily remove and reinsert. Surely the main benefit of having such a solution is that you can easily transfer data from a Mac/PC to the Amiga.
Think of it like a hard drive. You wouldn't remove your hard drive to plug into a PC right?
Old 29 June 2018, 22:25   #13
Amiga4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Think of it like a hard drive. You wouldn't remove your hard drive to plug into a PC right?
Just in case you wanted to try it out as it's fairly cheap, AmigaKit also sells this to make the CF card conveniently removable.... (would require using a cable though & NOT hot-swapable).

http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_...oducts_id=1216

Old 30 June 2018, 15:25   #14
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
No you wouldn't. But hard drives aren't designed to be removable devices, CF cards are.
Old 24 July 2018, 23:25   #15
Paulee_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It’s 6 screws, I can get my A500+ open in 30 seconds.
I open it up every week or so to transfer files I’ve been using in WINUAE.

I am so happy with the HC533, it’s incredible.
Old 25 July 2018, 00:08   #16
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Wicher also has SPI which means network port and more... Ordered mine yesterday!
Old 25 July 2018, 02:15   #17
grelbfarlk

I realize you said you don't want to pay for expensive vintage hardware, but these days with all these fancy new internal solutions people are often unloading their sidecar controllers relatively cheaply, which you could drop a SCSI2SD or something similar in. If you keep an eye out you might find something inexpensive that would work out for you.

Part of the problem is that you have to be careful with any of the new stuff to make sure they autoboot with Kickstart 1.3 if that's what you're running. Kipper's IDE originally didn't autoboot Kickstart 1.3, maybe it does now. Also I'm not sure if you intend to use WHDLoad with this HDD you're looking for but you might need some FastRAM to go with it.