English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 March 2016, 18:16   #1
fat_agnus

Buying a game in a shop!

Who misses the feeling of reading about that latest game you wanted from the shop, then making the trip to the local run down town, finding the game you have been waiting for (for ever!) Getting home and booting it up

I miss so much of this process, reading the manual partly... looking at the box art & some of the advertising that came with it, smelling the brand new disk smell then loading it into your Amiga!

I remember coming home with Street Fighter 2 coming on 4 disks and being quite quickly being fed up with changing

But also the good memories of going to town with my mates buying our games, arguing over who has the best computer/console, they had SNES/Mega Drive so i win then geting home and being blown away by the latest graphics, the interaction with the ZIP stick The slightly dodgy smell coming from the power brick

The reason i thought of this was because recently i like im sure a lot of people buy games on steam & quickly decide im not that interested in the title and forget about it... I never remember doing that before maybe on a few titles but not without putting a good few hours into them.

I still remember opening games i got for christmas it was great now days its a steam voucher

Life is different now but we miss a lot of interaction with our hardware/software like we used to get. I remember getting my first PC x86 and thinking wow is this it, DOS? windows 95... But i did get into gaming on the PC after some years mainly with games like Quake/Duke3D all these games that i could never have imagined.

But really i have never loved a computer like i loved my Amiga 500

I am new to this forum so sorry for the waffling on, i have been into Retro computing for a long time but only recently discovered the community.

Hello everyone

Old 28 March 2016, 18:30   #2
Daedalus

Sounds familiar, loved that aspect of gaming, even all the way through to the current consoles I prefer going into a shop and buying an actual game.

But back in the days of big box games it was such a great feeling to read the back of the box, and test the weight of the box to see how big the manual was and therefore how detailed the game would be. For me it was about 2 hours of a trek home from Dublin city centre on public transport - it always felt far longer, though having a read of the manual on the train helped.
Old 28 March 2016, 18:33   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

For me the best thing were TVs and monitors in shop with various games, tools and demos. You forget what you wanted mesmerized by displays.
Old 28 March 2016, 18:47   #4
fat_agnus

Did anyone ever get home and the disk wouldnt load?? i remember that happening to me with zool, such a downer

Old 28 March 2016, 19:08   #5
desiv

One one level I miss the game store experience.

But looking back, I am saving a lot of money not going to game stores to buy my games..
I always spent more than I should have, and I didn't have much to spend back then..

Real world example from back in the day...
Went down to browse, but there's Shadow of the Beast II WITH A T-SHIRT!!!
So I get it and I'm eating ramen noodles for a month to offset it...

Ah, the good ole days.. ;-)

desiv
Old 28 March 2016, 20:23   #6
fat_agnus

Haha i suppose i was lucky because i was quite young when i used to go to games shops like 8-15 so i was supported by my parents for food etc, all i could spend was my pocket money rarely i could talk my dad into giving me extra for a game, for that i had to cut a lot of grass / wash his car

Old 28 March 2016, 21:06   #7
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_agnus View Post
Did anyone ever get home and the disk wouldnt load?? i remember that happening to me with zool, such a downer
Rise of the Robots - ordered via mail order. The third set did finally install - a bad business for the seller. And I probably spent an hour with it until found how bad it was and quit it forever.
Old 28 March 2016, 21:12   #8
Amigajay
醉拳

I actually miss buying the latest magazines with coverdisks more than buying boxed games (and getting the latest NRG - Special Reserve mag in the post) though for a while having a friend in the loop with pirate disks took that away from me, by the time i left school in 1994 i had to start buying my games grr lol but yeah i agree going into whsmith, john menzies and my local computer game shop to pick up a budget or full price release was pretty good, doesnt feel the same with consoles today, but i guess thats nostalgia playing a part!
Old 28 March 2016, 22:15   #9
Cobe

I would loved that I have experienced that. It reminds me of another great feeling, going to a video store and renting VHS
Here we didn't have originals in the stores. Just a tonne of copy clubs. So after reading a review in a mag it was just a quick walk to the nearest. And money I saved over the week from not buying meal on a break in school was enough to write a box of diskettes.
Old 28 March 2016, 22:30   #10
fat_agnus

I miss swapping copied disks with my mates too! I remember i filled my boot bag up with about 50 floppies all copies to swap with my mates, i wish i had kept some of my old disks etc, but when the new consoles/PC's came along at the time it seemed pointless! I still have my Amiga500 in my mums loft but i will keep it there as i have no use for it at the moment. Even my amiga1200 i brought a few years ago doesnt get much use as i have no room to set it up I do like to run winUAE though quite often.

Old 29 March 2016, 00:58   #11
-Acid-

The bit I really miss is the not knowing. Before the web you could walk into a game shop and see a new AAA title on the shelf you'd never even heard of before! I still get goosebumps when I think back to an episode of Bad Influence I think it was in 1993. Street Fighter 2 was still all the rave and the Champion Edition was due out for the Mega Drive (play as the bosses at last!). Then at the end of the show they casually announced Street Fighter 2 Turbo for the snes and showed some footage... in shops the next week!! No one I knew even had a clue it was coming out or being made!

Simpler times.
Old 29 March 2016, 19:10   #12
Codetsu

so support Amiga shops what are still open !
soon they be gone for ever...
Old 29 March 2016, 23:00   #13
mrbob2

its sad but something kids will never experience these days. Going into a shop and seeing a boxes of varying shapes and sizes on a shelf, looking at the box art and imagining a great game and the things you could do, feeling the heavy box with the huge manual and many disks thinking you have a bargain, getting home and actually reading the manual, the controls, the story to the game, the plot and getting excited as the game loaded.

now you get a game like battlefield 4, no manual, no nothing just a disc and random screens on the back of the case.

my loft is full of boxes with amiga games, manuals, and just looking at them brings back memories, will i feel the same in 20 years time when i look at fifa 13 and think oooh back then it was cutting edge? nope as its just a generic re hash of last years game where many amiga games were unique and 1 of a kind.

my 2 favorite boxes are swos 96/97 and worms directors cut. glossy, great covers and 2 of the best games ever made. i would never sell them as what they are worth financially is not worth selling them for.

im proud to have had a gaming history, ever since an atari 2600 then speccy in 84, iv seen games evolve and all the 3d revolutions and many different systems and genres that we experienced.

now we have xboxone/ps4 which are identical and the same generic sequels year after year.

even with all that power, if i want to walk down the street and beat someone up its final fight or double dragon, sf2 or shadow fighter, gta5 etc are good but not as magical even now.

i do miss the old days but how cool is it that i have every single amiga game ever made (possibly lol) from tosecs and rom sets on a teeny tiny micro sd card that will load the games instantly on my phone or laptop etc

imagine going back in time to `92 and showing yourself a copy on WINUAE and a complete rom set! id never leave the house for 10 years lol
Old 31 March 2016, 00:02   #14
jimbob

Whating a who in the where now?

Shop shelves full of big boxes were amazing though I usually came home with a budget title. A rare big box purchase was Ishar 2 whilst on holiday. I could not wait for that holiday to end, and not because it was in Birmingham(!?)
Old 31 March 2016, 19:20   #15
RokChild
The One The ONLY

Send a message via ICQ to RokChild
I remember having to save up for a 1 MB expansion for my A500, before buying Dungeon Master.....
Old 31 March 2016, 21:28   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Aw man, the first time I went to the shop to get games for the Miggy. I spent ages looking at the Dragon's Lair box and just dreaming away.
Old 01 April 2016, 04:59   #17
Obliterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_agnus View Post
I remember my mum and dad bought me Emerald Mine from a local store (Kmart) while we were out doing the weekly shop when I got home that night I got to the 3rd level and it crashed tried again and got a read write error on the same level
Old 01 April 2016, 05:41   #18
bwldrbst

Hey, another Perth person!

I miss going to Valhalla Games & Hobbies in the city. Not that I could afford to buy anything very often...
Old 01 April 2016, 12:08   #19
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
its sad but something kids will never experience these days. Going into a shop and seeing a boxes of varying shapes and sizes on a shelf, looking at the box art and imagining a great game and the things you could do, feeling the heavy box with the huge manual and many disks thinking you have a bargain, getting home and actually reading the manual, the controls, the story to the game, the plot and getting excited as the game loaded.

now you get a game like battlefield 4, no manual, no nothing just a disc and random screens on the back of the case.
Some of my fondest memories of buying games goes back to the time when Spectrum games all came in regular little cassette boxes. I remember companies Ultimate Play The Game starting the arms race of bigger and bigger boxes. By the Amiga years it had got a bit over the top IMO. It's fine for games like Civilization which are brilliant, epic and come with a big manual. When it was a second-rate shoot-em-up on one disk, it was a bit ridiculous.

I think the biggest difference is that we'd have to wait weeks or months betwen reading about a game in a magazine and getting to go to the shop to buy it and finally getting to play it. So the anticipation was enormous.

Kids now have every kind of entertainment imaginable available on demand every second of the day. I'm sure a brand new, boxed Mario game is still an exciting thing but the experience must be diminished by so much other noise competing for their attention. I've noticed this when buying presents for my nephews - they have so much stuff available that nothing really has a value any more.
Old 01 April 2016, 13:31   #20
edd_jedi

I must admit I didn't buy many games, maybe 5 in total over the years I owned an Amiga. I was pretty young at the time I got mine, 11 years old. How is an 11 year old supposed to afford a £25-£35 game? I earned £2.50 a week from my paper round!

I do love physical products and have quite a large collection of games now, and yes I do miss that "freshly opened box" smell. But I think the industry did itself no favours charging so much for the games, it basically meant only the rich or spoiled kids could afford them.

As others have said, I think I got most enjoyment/thrill from reading the magazines and playing demos.