English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 December 2006, 17:22   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Amiga Fame?

Inspired by this thread, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27120

Tell all about where and when you were published for an Amiga related event/story...

I discovered the Gloom cheat one day and sent it to CU Amiga, it was published in the September 1997 issue.
Old 19 December 2006, 18:22   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

well we once had such a thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9539 but it did run a little out of hand and got closed wow bring back alot of memories
Old 19 December 2006, 20:27   #3
Photon

I ran a series of Assembler programming articles in the Swedish magazine Hemdatornytt. So I was world famous in Sweden, hah.

My little Super Munch-Man game was to be a cover disk for CU Amiga, but I got a job at Argonaut the next week, so only two levels were finished. I recovered the source for it just now and intend to make the remaining levels during the holidays and put it on my site.
Old 19 December 2006, 20:44   #4
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I did the full guide to Unreal and got that printed in CU Amiga (can't recall month/year). Bearing in mind the game was piss easy and anyone could do it with hands tied behind there back.

The other was the game Poker Mania (only one I did) that I sent to 17 bit Software and thought no more of it. Couple of months later, I went to WHSmith in Romford to buy Amiga Format (bought since the first issue), done a bit of shopping, and scanned through the pages while waiting for a bus home and there was my game, reviewed, complete with screenshots. First thing I did was phoned me ol' man. Talk about total shock! Next thing I know it received a game of the month in Amiga Action, and got reviewed in The One, Amiga Power, and a couple of others. Still have those mags now.
Old 19 December 2006, 22:28   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Had my mug in Amiga Action plus a couple of other mags as part of Binary Emotions during promotion for Speris Legacy.

Also did some AGA fixes for the coverdisks of Amiga Format..... Bitmap Brothers weren't too chuffed with my Speedball 2 AGA fix as it rather negated their re-released fixed version on Budget!
Old 19 December 2006, 22:55   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

I had some software released on an AF covermount and my swoseditor got a little bit of a mention
Old 19 December 2006, 23:07   #7
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I remember Poker Mania! - I used to love that - great litle game... can anyone zone that... I would love to play that again.
Old 19 December 2006, 23:48   #8
DamienD
Banned

quahappy did send me a copy to check out...

I'll let him upload it though, it's only right
Old 20 December 2006, 21:19   #9
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Most thoughtful Damien. Thank you.

@Peter
Glad you liked it! The wife still plays it now...

Well, there's several versions at Planet Emulation but as some people seem to be having problem downloading stuff from it, I've uploaded it to The Zone! as you initially requested.

For best performance of Poker Mania in WinUAE (worked in every version I've tried), use Quickstart option:

Model: A500/A200
Configuration: KS 1.3, ECS Agnus, 0.5M Chip + 0.5M Slow (Most common)

In WinUAE Properties>Floppy Drives - Disable drive DF1: (don't need to do this if you choose to increase Slow RAM to 1 meg or more though). If you don't disable it and still have 0.5M Slow selected, the game will crash when you complete the first half.

Have fun.
Old 21 December 2006, 00:03   #10
Peter
Still an Amiga user

That's excellent, thanks for that - really looking forward to a game of this again.
I remember ordering this from a PD company - I had to wait days for it to come... seems odd now that everything is so easy to download!

Cheers again, Peter
Old 21 December 2006, 08:37   #11
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Letters in AF regarding their sanctimonious attitude to piracy with respect to AGA fixes in particular and on their news page a few months later for something or other
Old 21 December 2006, 17:12   #12
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I had Poker Mania back in the day too... good fun Never made the connection that you coded it quahappy - that rocks
Old 21 December 2006, 18:02   #13
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

one of my brothers and i were contacted by CU Amiga after sticking some stuff on aminet, and we did their SWOS World Cup 98 update. I did the graphics whlst my brother updated the teams....

we got £100 each as i recall, and i wasnt going to complain!

i forget whch Amiga Power magazine it is, but the cover is green with a car on the front i think... it may also be the issue wth the 3/4 page Sensi Golf review.... anyway, it was quite near the end of AP's reign, and they did a big article of "In the Style Of..." entries in which mine (Super Skidmarks in the Style of The Italian Job) was the winning hghlight.

promises of a prize and publicaton on the "next" Amiga Power CD never emerged however....
Old 23 December 2006, 12:18   #14
Graham Humphrey

In Retro Gamer last month - issue 31 they reviewed my game Tank Wars (85%! And I didn't even bribe them. Much) but promptly forgot to say where it's available from.

And I've got two reviews published in the new issue of Total Amiga (25).
Old 23 December 2006, 14:20   #15
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

wtg Graham - excellemt work on Tank Wars and getting it reviewed in the fab Retro Gamer. Ahhh - nostalgic mag to the extreme!
Old 23 December 2006, 17:03   #16
Graham Humphrey

Cheers. It is an ace mag (not just because they liked my game, honest), I've got every issue so far.
Old 28 December 2006, 05:22   #17
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
My moment of fame was PC(CD) GAMER magazine they used to have cover mount disks / cd (later). having come from Amiga i did a PC GAMER logo for them (as theirs was shite!) sent it in & they used it on their cover disk/c's etc and never gave me credit and to think i struggled with that wanky neo paint on pc having come from Amiga and Dpaint/Brilliance etc i still won't buy there mag even now lol