English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 February 2021, 08:50   #21
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Yes, it can be because it's one of Amiga exclusive games. There is PC remake, but it's different game.
Yeah, I've been playing last few days a sequel Fragile Allegiance for PC, and it have some very nice additions (like diplomacy and spies), but so far, I felt that the game lost it's dynamic in comparison to K240.
Simply said: In K240 thigs are escalating very quickly, and force you to (sometimes with panic) start doing some actions, while in Fragile Allegiance it all goes at a lot slower pace. My last play with Fragile Allegiance - more then one hour, basically nothing happened.

For those who don't know, Utopia is K240 prequel.

@Foxman
If you decide to give it a go, and having trouble remembering how things work, feel free to ask, and I'll gladly help.
Old 05 February 2021, 09:04   #22
meynaf
son of 68k

K240 is a great game indeed. I finished it many years ago but i don't remember much of the details. I once won by crashing my last asteroid into the enemy's last asteroid. To win the game you don't need to beat all races, only the most powerful one.
What annoyed me the most is that with some races, you can't settle an asteroid they have occupied before.
Old 05 February 2021, 09:13   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I dedicated a lot of time to this game back then, but I had some cracked version and the game reguraly crashed when using ore teleporters. And without them it would not be possible to succesfully play it. Later, when I bought original package and even later when WHDLoad was available, I tried to get into once again, but I was not hooked anymore.

Anyway - there is one similar EAB thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...highlight=k240

Please mods, could you merge them?
Old 05 February 2021, 10:15   #24
manossg

It is a good, deep and fun game (once you master the keyboard shortcuts), but certainly not one of the greatest strategy games on the Amiga for me.

What lets it down is that, apart from the increased difficulty, all the missions are quite samey. Once you complete the first mission you just have more of the same stuff to look forward to, you just have to be faster and more efficient. Maybe there is some variety, but I lost interest after the 2nd-3rd mission.

I also feel that the random events don't work quite well, but maybe it's just me.
Old 05 February 2021, 10:20   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I remember it getting good reviews. I've never played it myself, I did play Utopia a LOT though so I'm sure I would have at least partially liked it.
Old 05 February 2021, 10:54   #26
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
I also feel that the random events don't work quite well, but maybe it's just me.
Well, this is truth.

I personally like random events (can't imagine playing Master of Orion 2 without it ), but in K240, sometimes the game just throw the hell out on you.

I had in one game, something like fast asteroid blown up my main base (without asteroid engines you can't avoid it), then meteor shower on my second base.. while recovering a water supply exploded, so my poor guys left without water, and finally enemy fleet finished the poor, barely living settlers.
But it was fun in it's own way.
Old 05 February 2021, 11:02   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Sounds like it wanted to outdo Sim City
Old 05 February 2021, 12:18   #28
wiz12

This is one of my favourite Amiga games that you can play over and over similar to the Settlers though I could never beat the final plant-based enemy without cheating and still can't. The sequel "Fragile Allegiance" on the PC wasn't as fun in my opinion, it lacked the charm of the original.
Old 05 February 2021, 12:40   #29
dreadnought

Hah, I forgot about this game, even though I loved it back in the day. Strategy games like K240, Supremacy, Millenium/Deuteros, are some of my favourite Amiga titles. They managed to enliven the rather dour genre with awesome gfx/sfx and innovative gameplay.

Having said that, K240 can't compare to the likes of Civilization, it's a totally different league.
Old 06 February 2021, 16:04   #30
d4rk3lf

I am thinking...
K240 multiplayer would have been pure awesomeness.

Imagine 3-4 players on the same map,.. trying to take as many asteroids.. constant wars... you attack one, the other attacks you...

The game doesn't have multiplayer, but it's core gameplay design is like it's created to be played on multiplayer.
It would be so addictive and fun.

Hmm.. time for modern remake maybe?
Old 06 February 2021, 17:14   #31
Cherno

Well, Planetary Annihilation at least has the asteroid fighting
Old 07 February 2021, 19:32   #32
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Threads merged.
Old 11 February 2021, 18:26   #33
RMK

Back in the day one of my friends played this game till completion. I never played it or saw the appeal at the time. A few years ago i got a copy and asked him hownto play it and he had no recollection of it. I sourced an original copy from Ebay with the manuals and instill couldn't work out how to play it. I really need to give it another go as i feel I'm missing out.
Old 15 February 2021, 01:59   #34
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Loved K240 once I worked it out...... was a lot of fun.
Old 11 April 2022, 22:07   #35
d4rk3lf

I must proudly say, that one hour a go, I finished last mission (6th hardest alien race) in K240.
I revisited the game again, few weeks a go, and played almost every day, learned new stuff, and finally manage to finish it!

Will I stop playing it now?
Absolutely not!
Some of the races I really struggled to beat up, and I probably had some luck, so revisiting these missions will be fun, especially, because map is always randomly created, and random events are always unique.
Old 11 April 2022, 22:14   #36
Weasel Fierce

Absolutely loved this one, though it has a fairly high learning curve. Construction starships, launching missiles and settling new asteroids felt very unique.
Old 12 April 2022, 00:21   #37
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I have recently tried K240 for the first time - I was an avid Fragile Allegiance player when younger, and as such I was very excited to play what looked like the "demake" (I know that K240 is the original one, but still) of one of my most beloved games and... The interface totally kills it for me. Maybe I am now too used to the vastly improved interface provided in Fragile, but I dunno, the entire interface in K240 feels cryptic just for the sake of it. It could've been so much better even on older hardware (just look at Populous, for example) but nope, it just feels clunky and weird.

Not trying to tell every K240 lover in here that one of their favourite games is crap, quite the contrary. I am a *big* K240 lover in practice, just of the enhanced version

I guess I will give it another try one of these days, maybe after reading the manual. I am sure that while playing my brain will just keep repeating "go play Fragile Allegiance NOW", though
Old 12 April 2022, 01:38   #38
Weasel Fierce

It’s a bit of a mouthful but it’s mostly figuring out the icons,. You can extract them to the main screen so you don’t have to click through menus all the time
Old 12 April 2022, 02:36   #39
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I have recently tried K240 for the first time - I was an avid Fragile Allegiance player when younger, and as such I was very excited to play what looked like the "demake" (I know that K240 is the original one, but still) of one of my most beloved games and... The interface totally kills it for me. Maybe I am now too used to the vastly improved interface provided in Fragile, but I dunno, the entire interface in K240 feels cryptic just for the sake of it. It could've been so much better even on older hardware (just look at Populous, for example) but nope, it just feels clunky and weird.

Not trying to tell every K240 lover in here that one of their favourite games is crap, quite the contrary. I am a *big* K240 lover in practice, just of the enhanced version

I guess I will give it another try one of these days, maybe after reading the manual. I am sure that while playing my brain will just keep repeating "go play Fragile Allegiance NOW", though
These past few days, I've been playing Fragile Allegiance too.
Figured out the interface, and all.. but...
As I mentioned, year a go, or so, in this thread, what kills it for me in Fragile Allegiance is that it's somehow much slower paced then K240.
K240 very quickly throws a lot's of (shitty) stuff to you, you enter a panic mode, and you must act quickly in order to overcome it, therefore creating more immersive ambient.

But I'll play more Fragile in the future, for sure (still not tried the hardest levels)

The games are basically pretty much identical.
95% of the buildings, ships, missiles, are exactly the same in the both games.

Believe me when I say... k240 UI is perfectly fine (it's better in Fragile, but is still perfectly nice).
You can extract buttons, by left holding mouse click on them, and I do it for only 4 buttons right at the start of the game (I extract buildings, finance, selection switching, and look at the other side of the asteroid).
After I do that (in first few seconds of the game), I play very fast, and not slower when playing Fragile.

If you start playing it again, feel free to ask here about any tips.
I'll gladly help.
Old 12 April 2022, 08:19   #40
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Huh, I didn't notice at all this "extract button" thing. I will try again and report back, thanks for the tips