English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 January 2014, 00:10   #21
slaapliedje

Actually, thinking on it, what would be the 'best'(?) way for the Amiga to make a comeback, would be for someone like Asus to buy Hyperion. And then become a new Hardware/Software provider for the OS, like Commodore did in the Amiga days, and Apple still does.

I think that would be the only way it'd really take off again. Unfortunately for the present, the Trilithon of Mac/Linux/Windows, I don't know if there's room in the mainstream for a 4th player in general computing. Granted Windows and Mac are all but trying to get away from General Computing and wanting to move toward the throw away devices, like tablets and smart phones. It's kind of disgusting if you think about it.

slaapliedje
Old 09 January 2014, 02:13   #22
vitux
Banned

well, you had to first buy the rights AMGA to Amiga inc.
then we'll talk
:-)
Old 09 January 2014, 03:25   #23
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i want to say that we lived a revolution in the 80's with the amiga, what we live now is just a slow evolution... And it's time now for a society to make a revolutionary hardware something different.
Old 09 January 2014, 07:09   #24
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
i want to say that we lived a revolution in the 80's with the amiga, what we live now is just a slow evolution... And it's time now for a society to make a revolutionary hardware something different.
The latest revolution was iPhone in 2007.
Old 09 January 2014, 08:26   #25
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
The latest revolution was iPhone in 2007.
In which way iphone was revolutionnary like the amiga was ???
look at this, it was in 1985 !!! [ Show youtube player ]
The amiga was the first multimedia computer.

Last edited by turrican3; 09 January 2014 at 08:33.
Old 09 January 2014, 08:58   #26
s2325
Zone Friend

K-202 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-202 was better than any computer long before Amiga but with no success.
Old 09 January 2014, 11:22   #27
trydowave

The X1000 is way to pricey, what is it, over two grand? What does it even do anyway other than run OS4.1?

I know nothing about minimig but I do like the idea of having an affordable Amiga in a small 'Mac Mini' type case that is capable of running all old Amiga configurations. In all honesty though I'm happy sticking with my A1200.

I'm a massive fan of the C64 as well. What if we brought that back from the dead and what would that mean exactly? It would probarbly mean what's already been done. A C64 case with some PC part slapped in it.

'Bid Society'... ughh. Already sounds like a failed project headed by David Cameron.

Last edited by trydowave; 09 January 2014 at 11:29.
Old 09 January 2014, 11:43   #28
Bastich

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
What if it was resurrected in a similar fashion to this?
Eeek Elite (The company not the game). Also known as MotionTime for a short while. Would be nice if SW bothered to pay off all the coders that lost out on redundancy pay! Me included

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
It's had more crazy's in it than Freddy Krueger's mom.)
Now that made me laugh
Old 09 January 2014, 13:24   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

A new Amiga simply makes no sense. The world has changed, now unless you have deep pockets and follow some industry standards, there is no room for 'different' which is exactly what the Amiga is.

It would be pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for ANY manufacturer to pop out of the blue with a new super amazing machine of the likes that the Amiga did back in 1985.

To put the Amiga in perspective, there NO competition for the machine in 1985, and it was light years ahead of everything in the world.

It didn't have to compete with PC graphics cards and amazing sound cards, the likes of ATi didn't exist or if they did, they were certainly in their infancy, Sony didn't have a Playstation, Nintendo were resting on their laurels with the NES, Sega were pissing about with the Master System, and Atari were 'competing' with the ST series which were all kinds of bollocks in comparison.

Consider today however, and its not so easy.

How can a small startup like Amiga Inc. hope to compete with the sheer powerhouses of Microsoft, Sony, et al?

I would imagine that Sony have spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing the PS4, and likely the same for Microsoft.

For the Amiga to have the same impact, it would have to be a machine that makes the PS4 and XBox One and current PC's look infantile, and would have to be so technically amazing, that it takes minimum 5 years for other manufacturers to be capable of delivering a better machine.

And that Amiga would also have to be PC compatible for it to be accepted by more than just gamers.

If such a machine could be made, I can assure you, it wouldn't take 5 years to beat, hardware manufacturers and designers would have it beaten in 6 months flat, PC's would catch up and surpass it in the same time.

There is no more market for a new Amiga, because the essence of the Amiga is now a PS3/4 or XBox 360/One, they have on average a 6-7 year life span.

If the Amiga were to have survived, it would have been something like those machines.

Give up the dream, the world has moved on, a new Amiga isn't needed or wanted, and even if someone with deep pockets made it, it wouldn't actually be an Amiga, it would be nothing more than a sticker with the name 'Amiga' written on it, and I believe the Amiga was far more than that.
Old 09 January 2014, 13:39   #30
slaapliedje

I'll agree 100% with Galahad/FLT.

I've been thinking lately of writing an article that explains why the computing industry is the way it is now. I've pretty much traced it back to one particular decision. That was Nolan Bushnell's decision to sell Atari to Time Warner. If it weren't for that, the Amiga would have been owned by Atari, the Video Game crash of '83 probably wouldn't have happened, and Activision also would have remained Atari. Where is Activision now? They still exist and are huge. Where is Atari? Some French company got their name...

slaapliedje
Old 09 January 2014, 14:48   #31
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

technically is there new incredibles cpu ???? something more powerfull than corei7 and less expensive ??
Old 09 January 2014, 15:19   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
technically is there new incredibles cpu ???? something more powerfull than corei7 and less expensive ??
How is that Amiga?

Amiga was the sum of ALL its parts and the state of the rest of the 'competition' when it was released.
Old 09 January 2014, 15:30   #33
daxb

A new "Amiga" (Amiga named or not) have to be something different from the mainstream electronics and a all in one mashine (just one or two interfaces for hardware developer and hobbyists). It doesn`t need to have best gfx or fastest cpu. It need passive cooling in a small case so it can easy taken to a friend or scene party. Easy/fast to use development emvironment. Maybe one special feature that nobody else has. It must be cheap and last long (at least repairable): Max. price = years to use * 50,- EUR. So 500,- for a 10 years mashine. Nobody need a throwaway device in the future. Todays computer/devices are for the dump to make it bigger and they are just boring.

The most firms (at least the big ones) don`t want this. So it needs a company or a skilled community who are against capitalism and have a good knowledge about Amiga.

If you want to use original Amiga hardware sooner or later hardware is needed because the old ones just die. Alternative there is emulation. I don`t see a reason why you should use emulation if the orignal no more exists. Better then use Aros or something like that.

This had happen about 15-19 years ago.

ps: I think the last computer "revolution" was the CD or HD. Computer itself work the same as always. Maybe quantum computer could be the next revolution.
Old 09 January 2014, 17:18   #34
slaapliedje

I kind of find it funny that everyone has their own definition of what is "Amiga". Personally, I think it really is about a period in time when computers were FUN! How often do you get that same feeling you got when you would get home from the store or swap meet with some new collection of floppy disks, and started putting them in the drive and loading them up to see what was crap, and what was awesome, and what was simply there to show your DOS using buddies what they were missing. Unfortunately that particular advantage the Amiga had is simply gone. The 'mainstream' hardware caught up and then surpassed it.

To me now, the Amiga is it's OS and how you can run things in such a limited environment, and they are still impressive. How snappy and responsive the OS can be blows my mind. But it's less impressive when you have a multi-ghz system doing the same thing. So for me, to even think OS4 is really 'Amiga', I'd have to be able to run it on a 68k. Since I can't do that, for me the last real Amiga is 3.9 (and possibly AROS if it gets full 68k working.)
Old 09 January 2014, 18:47   #35
rogersyd

I would agree with Slaapliedje and many others on this one.. While I have nothing against the OS4 crowd, that is not the true Amiga experience in my book. What brought me back into the Amiga fold after all these years is simply nostalgia. The Amiga is just fun to mess around with. Sure, for the money i have dumped into my A4K I could have a wicked fast PC. My Amiga is not going to outperform my thinkpad, or even my dual core celeron zbox running Linux. What company would honestly be willing to invest in a brand that has no appeal other than to us nostalgic fanboys (and girls)? And what would be the point? A new chip architecture to rival Intel? Good luck with that.

Look at what the last company did with the commodore badge in the US. They basically bought a generic underpowered all-in-one pc, tweaked a Linux distro, slapped the commodore name on it, and sold it for way too much money. Is that what we want out of the next generation? Personally, the best group to buy the name and the rights, would be a company that is already producing Amiga equipment today. I'm talking about the companies who continue to innovate and bring us new expansion opportunities. They are closest we will get to the real creative, independent, and innovative Amiga spirit.
Old 09 January 2014, 18:52   #36
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
How is that Amiga?

Amiga was the sum of ALL its parts and the state of the rest of the 'competition' when it was released.
I know galahad,
the amiga was the best !!!
I just ask if an exotic cpu exist or not for the moment, i know for to be a real amiga successor it shoulds have the best cpu, the best customs chips and the best os. The amiga was incredible and still !!!
ps: ghalad when did you buy your first amiga ???
Old 10 January 2014, 09:39   #37
jezry

I really liked the idea of a set top box ibm ppc maybe that can run amiga os 3.??? And 4. And maybe further. With wireless controllers that reminds of the old ones for cdtv or cd32. The boards exist is relativ cheap and aos is allready ppc capable or something.I am kind of a begginer.! Its not that expensive
many of the cable and digital boxes is this config. I would buy one of those its massproduced not intel so people with intel issues could buy one to :-)
Sale At Breakdown Price Digital Satellite Receiver Decoder Blackbox 500Hd/500Hd S/500C With 400 Mhz Powerpc Processor (350Mips)
Like this one ;-) dont think the company would mind to alter it and add some features and remove some if enough boxes was ordered

Last edited by jezry; 10 January 2014 at 13:03. Reason: Found a link
Old 14 January 2014, 13:38   #38
TCMSLP

Quote:
... a real amiga successor should have the best cpu, the best customs chips and the best os.
So, currently, we're probably talking an Intel i7, the best custom chips (Nvidia/ATI) and probably some Linux variant - complete with an Amiga badge slapped on the front.

The modern PC with all its 'custom chips' is very much what a modern Amiga would look like. All we lack is the OS - although, part of me has always thought OSX is a great example of what AmigaOS could have evolved into; Multimedia focused, powerful shell and stylish.
Old 14 January 2014, 14:51   #39
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

for to be like the amiga 1000 in 1985 we should have:
A computer more powerfull than playstation 5
An os better than windows 10.
Is it still possible in 2014 ???
Old 14 January 2014, 15:05   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote: