English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 November 2008, 23:49   #1
DeepJedi
Genius

Retro Arcade experiences?

Searching through this forum I noticed it was a few months since anyone mentioned Shinobi in any form and being as I'm new here I don't know if this has been discussed (I bet it has somewhere) but did anyone else play Shinobi in the arcades when it first came out? Were home computers and games consoles even available then?

I know that for a long time the arcade games were the only place to get the complete video-gaming experience and that I loved Shinobi, especially for its flawlessly crisp error detection and smooth movement; when I got to play it on the Amiga I was so disappointed at it - so clunky and rough. The responsiveness of the controls in the arcade, the speed of the ninja, the 'sweet' sound effects...it really made me feel like I was that super-warrior.

I played this until I became one of 'those guys' around whom loads of others would gather to watch - one of the experts who could go a long way on just 10p! I was only young so I can be forgiven for getting a feeling of 'cool' at knowing how to get through those stacked and spinning statue 'heads' without losing a life. (God knows how much I spent on learning how to complete it in the end!)

Last edited by DeepJedi; 18 November 2008 at 23:51. Reason: Too long.
Old 19 November 2008, 00:04   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

It was ok on Amiga if you didn't know arcade version. Same with Shadow Dancer.
Old 20 November 2008, 22:48   #3
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I love Cadash and Splatter House. I made many friends playing to this games at Arcade Room!
Old 20 November 2008, 23:02   #4
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepJedi View Post
I played this until I became one of 'those guys' around whom loads of others would gather to watch - one of the experts who could go a long way on just 10p!
Haha, I used to be one of the watchers Usually because I ran out of money real fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
It was ok on Amiga if you didn't know arcade version. Same with Shadow Dancer.
Hmm, that's not quite good enough. An Amiga 500 can do way better than that, and you know it

I never quite mastered any arcade game, though, and I've noticed that I'm a lot better at games now then when I was a kid. Probably because they're easier these days
Old 21 November 2008, 05:06   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Amiga was missing those extra controller buttons consoles/arcades had.

I've spent a lot of money on arcades I was 7-8 years old. (they had arcade place across the road from my music school. No wonder I was bad in music school.
Old 24 November 2008, 22:18   #6
DamienD
Banned

...bit late with a reply to this thread but anyway

I spent loads of my youth playing arcade games and love them to bits. When I first discovered MAME 10 years ago all my dreams had come true

Funny that you've mentioned Shinobi DeepJedi. This is still one of my favourite arcade games ever

I still play it on MAME32 with the hardest DIP switch settings and can finish it in one credit

Heheheh, I actually posted some screenshots and tips in this thread. No use to you though as you probably an expert at it as well

...and yes, the Amiga version sucks bigtime. I was very disappointed
Old 24 November 2008, 22:30   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Prove it DD. Make a movie, just like Retroplay did with Robocop arcade game. (not that I don't trust you )
Old 24 November 2008, 22:37   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Prove it DD. Make a movie, just like Retroplay did with Robocop arcade game. (not that I don't trust you )
Heheheh, yeah maybe I will when I get some time free

I should really make one for the original Street Fighter II: The World Warriors showing all the secret moves:

... Guile's "stance"
... Guile's "super freeze"
... Guile's "reset cabinet"
... Guile's "fake throw"
... Dhalsim's "invisible / disppear"

There are quite a few arcade games that I can finish in one credit... Off the top of my head Willow and U.N. Squadron.
Old 25 November 2008, 00:53   #9
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I should really make one for the original Street Fighter II: The World Warriors showing all the secret moves:
[ Show youtube player ]

DD this isnt you is it?

Old 25 November 2008, 06:35   #10
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Playing the arcade machine of Cabal or Golden Axe is one of the most extraordinary moments in a life. I was in Greece in the early 90's and fouind GA in a place there. I was wondered how far I was able to go with only one coin... still love it...