English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 January 2002, 21:27   #1
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
Smile Amiga Maintenance

As a proud owner of a standard Amiga 600 in pefect condition with an intact warranty seal I keep hearing about peoples amigas failing (power supplies, disk drives etc) has anyone got any tips on looking after your Amiga?
Old 05 January 2002, 13:27   #2
Bloodwych

Put it away in its box and don't use it!

Realistically that's the only way of stopping your Amiga failing.

I filled up the IBM 320Mb HD on my A1200 with loads of great software and then put it and a Microvitec monitor to rest.

In the meantime I'm using emulation to keep me going, and my true A1200 only when I feel overwhelmed by nostalgia.

The fact is the more hours you leave your computer on, the greater chance of mechanical failure from the drives.

However, the greater number times you turn your computer on and off, the more stress you exert on electrical components due to heat expansion and contraction.

Conclusion - don't use it! Or at least use it as little as possible.
Old 05 January 2002, 13:55   #3
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Thats what I thought, but my A600 still died.

It was working fine at the time, when I was finished using it I turned it off and put it away in the loft. 8 months later I wanted to use it, so plugged all cables in and connected power pack. When switching on power pack, nothing happened, it was dead

Last edited by Paul; 05 January 2002 at 14:12.
Old 05 January 2002, 14:02   #4
TikTok

Personally I would just keep on using your Amiga as you have always done. Obviously you shouldn't treat it like shit, but I can't see much point in leaving it in a cupboard. If you do that, it may as well be broken for all the use it will be. Amigas are meant to be enjoyed IMHO. It might be slightly "risky" to use it, but hey, getting out of bed in the morning is risky. Its a trade off.

Imagine how you would feel if you took your Amiga out of the cupboard one day and it didn't work? You'd be gutted because you left your beloved machine to die a sad, lonely death, not knowing the feeling of having a disk in it's drive and somebody playing with it's joysticks .
Old 05 January 2002, 16:10   #5
Bloodwych

My only point was that you can't lessen the chance of your Amiga failing without using it less.

How many people do you know that treat stuff like sh*t but it still lasts longer than your pristine well looked after stuff? Loads I'm sure!

You can be sensible by adding dust covers, never drinking coffee over it, keeping it away from strong magnets, excessive temp extremes (like a loft paul!), small kids and vibration but when they go, they go.

And Paul excluded, they usually go while in use.

Admittedly, I've put my A1200 away for space reasons, and must confess I 'd probably still have it out if that weren’t the case. I simply love it too much and for the reasons TikTok said.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 05 January 2002 at 23:34.
Old 05 January 2002, 19:09   #6
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

I would say do the following:

- Leave the Amiga at a place where temperatur doesn't change much if you don't use it. Better keep it in a room than put it in the cellar or loft.

- Clean off dust after you haven't used it for a long time.

- Don't touch any ports with your fingers.

- Remove old batteries from things like memoryexpansions before they start leaking.

- Buy some small cooling metals and put one on every chip, using temperature-conductive paste ( shit I don't know what that's called in English language )

- Don't put physicaly damaged disks or disks which have been spoiled with liquids into the drive, because they might make the heads dirty or even damage them.

- Also reseat socketed chips from time to time because with heat extraction and contraction they slowly work themselves out of their sockets and afterwards a small electrical flash could kill them if they are not socketed properly.

Ok, I think that's all which came to my mind, although I for myself don't do any maintainance on my A-500. I just use it about every week and when it dies I replace the dead chips - no problem as long as there are enough Amigas around .
And if a drive failes then in most cases it is just not adjusted properly, which I can usually fix.
Old 05 January 2002, 23:09   #7
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 16 February 2005, 12:29   #8
Haakon

Bringing this up again since i was curious about how to maintainance my Amiga/C64. Will it die eventually???

Do you think it would be impossible to restore Amiga's f.ex 50 years from now on, when every known chip is dead? Is it unthinkable that some persons have found theirself a niche in the marked, and produced spareparts for both Amiga/C64 (for our sons and daughters with a very special hobby? ).

Since i'am not a technichian i don't know how difficult producing these stuff would be. I guess it was hard in 1985, but maybe very easy in 2035...

Even today you find a lof of persons finding interest in collection old useless stuff. I think it will be prestige to own a real functional 1980-computer 50 years from now, and therefore some smart people start producing processors and chips for both the Spectrum, amiga, c64 etc.etc...and sell them for good prices to the entusiasts...

Am I way to optimistic here?

(don't say yes, i am thinking of expanding my hardware collection and would like to see it has a purpose in the future...)
Old 16 February 2005, 12:53   #9
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Yikes, talk about bad advice. If you put an Amiga away and don't use it, the capacitors will eventually die - you have to regularly power it up to keep everything working properly.

As for the latest post, I'm sure people will eventually emulate the original hardware perfectly, either in software or hardware (see nearly-perfect Commodore 64 DTV stick). There will be no real reason to keep the old computers around.

Last edited by ant512; 16 February 2005 at 13:06.
Old 16 February 2005, 13:03   #10
keropi

I personally will keep using my amiga, until she dies. and if she dies, I'll buy another one... that's why I got it at first place: because emulation was not good enough for me... I was and still am a PC user. This is the 1st amiga I ever owned, and surely don't intend to keep it unused... nothing beats the real machine... as for my advice : Use a UPS or some other means of protecting the machine from electrical disturbances... and keep it clean...
Old 16 February 2005, 13:07   #11
Haakon

Is the C64 DTV Stick Emulating?
Old 16 February 2005, 13:08   #12
Haakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
I personally will keep using my amiga, until she dies. and if she dies, I'll buy another one... that's why I got it at first place: because emulation was not good enough for me... I was and still am a PC user. This is the 1st amiga I ever owned, and surely don't intend to keep it unused... nothing beats the real machine... as for my advice : Use a UPS or some other means of protecting the machine from electrical disturbances... and keep it clean...
And when there are no longer anymore Amiga's to buy? (which are still working)...
Old 16 February 2005, 14:24   #13
DopPie
Zone Friend

Look; we shall all have to face it. Nothing lasts for ever.

- Put it away in a box and never use it;
The capicitors will die. So will all the transistors.
Plastic housed components are not perfectly air tight. Through time even the silicon will simply rust away.

- Keep using it and have fun;
If not already happened the machine will yellow and die because of wear.

Since the second option is most fun I would keep on using them machines while they are still around. At least you can still have some fun while the machine takes it's inevitable path to destruction.

And when there are no more around? That won't be anytime soon. But when the time comes you can use the , by then perfect, emulator or find yourself a new hobby. There is so much more to do
Old 16 February 2005, 14:26   #14
wlcina

yes, doppie is right capacitors will die very soon if are not used! Use Amiga as much as possible ;-)
Old 16 February 2005, 14:28   #15
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon
Is the C64 DTV Stick Emulating?
It's a re-implementation of the original hardware on a single chip, with various quirks, inaccuracies and enhancements. Essentially, it is a hardware emulation.
Old 16 February 2005, 14:35   #16
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon
And when there are no longer anymore Amiga's to buy? (which are still working)...
With that sense, what's the point of having a real amiga? it's the same as not having one, since you will be not using it in order to save it... for when?
Its like those miserable people that have milions of money, but are not spending it, they save it for god knows when, and eventually die because of the low quality life they live.....
Old 16 February 2005, 14:44   #17
Haakon

hehehe...good example...Nah, i still hoping for my theory. I'll use my Amiga(s) till the end, and hope someone in the future show up with necessary parts i can replace the old one's with...
Old 16 February 2005, 14:54   #18
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I'll use my Amiga as long as it blows up
I'm no fan of the Amiga-emulators, even if they are in well-programmed state...well, i might consider emulating when there's no Amiga's left anymore
Old 16 February 2005, 14:56   #19
keropi

or perhaps someone builds a classic amiga alternative..... like with the c-one...
Old 16 February 2005, 15:00   #20
Haakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcina
yes, doppie is right capacitors will die very soon if are not used! Use Amiga as much as possible ;-)
Some has told me that the turn ON process is quite a hard process for the computers, and the most ideal would be (if that is possible) to have it turned ON the whole time. Any thoughts here?