English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 July 2015, 18:38   #161
danko

Quote:
Originally Posted by danko View Post
Hi Jeff! i have a I2C board + LCD display how to connect the wire?
Latest firmware flashed v3.0.5.1a
Connected VCC and GND on the programming connector.
SDA and SCL on the J7 position,tried SDA and SCL with resistors 4.7k ohm same problem.
But when I turn on the amiga the display do not appear characters.
Any news for my problem?
Old 14 July 2015, 06:36   #162
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Any news for my problem?
Am i supposed to have news about this ?

I don't see the pull resistors on your picture and i don't see which I2C module you are using too, so i have no news since i don't have enough information to make any answers. So please make more pictures.
Old 14 July 2015, 06:54   #163
danko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_hxc2001 View Post
am i supposed to have news about this ?

i don't see the pull resistors on your picture and i don't see which i2c module you are using too, so i have no news since i don't have enough information to make any answers. So please make more pictures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436849613774.jpg
Views:	2767
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	44704Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436849623774.jpg
Views:	2410
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	44705Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436849631968.jpg
Views:	2786
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	44706
Old 14 July 2015, 07:11   #164
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
I said pull up resistors :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_resistor

You have put them in serie...
Old 14 July 2015, 07:13   #165
danko

Sorry, do you have any photo of connect this?
Old 14 July 2015, 07:29   #166
Jeff_HxC2001

No. Here is the schematic :

Code:
               +5V
                 |
                | | 4.7K resistor
                 |
Gotek SCL <---Wire---> Screen SCL

+5V
                 |
                | | 4.7K resistor
                 |
Gotek SDA <---Wire---> Screen SDA

+5V    <---Wire---> Screen VCC

Gotek GND <---Wire---> Screen GND
Old 14 July 2015, 08:50   #167
danko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_hxc2001 View Post
no. Here is the schematic :

Code:
               +5v
                 |
                | | 4.7k resistor
                 |
gotek scl <---wire---> screen scl

+5v
                 |
                | | 4.7k resistor
                 |
gotek sda <---wire---> screen sda

+5v    <---wire---> screen vcc

gotek gnd <---wire---> screen gnd
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1436856589822.jpg
Views:	3299
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	44707

Jeff!!! many thanks!!!!!
Old 14 July 2015, 14:10   #168
dirkies
Zone Friend

Danko, can we see a larger picture of the working mod so we see where goes what?
Old 14 July 2015, 17:12   #169
danko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
Danko, can we see a larger picture of the working mod so we see where goes what?
See the schematic is simple,need 2 resistors 4.7k.
Old 14 July 2015, 18:38   #170
solarice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulquen74 View Post
if you are at 000, pushing down could take you to ---, which would be eject mode.
The idea is when using it in a hard disk based system, to have an easy way
to stop it from booting or delaying the booting without removing the stick
all the time.
Easiest way i've been doing it is to put a blank .adf at 000 then whenever you need to, press both buttons to reset the directory and as its blank it'll boot from hdd.

Interesting developments with HxC/Gotek though...leaning towards upgrading i think.
Old 16 July 2015, 13:28   #171
solarice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
a600.

Looking at the a600 pic again...with a little modding (e.g using the floppy drive screw holes and making a L bracket) a rocker switch could be installed where the eject button goes/went for navigation and then you could sit the lcd on top of the case probably without having to cut anything up as thin cables should pass through the vent slots without issue.

Or if you could use a thinner lcd (those tiny oled screens?) then you could put it on a drawer so you could slide it in and out of the floppy drive slot when you're not using it.

Probably over the top but could be fun.

Last edited by solarice; 16 July 2015 at 13:35.
Old 16 July 2015, 16:49   #172
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I added a header to the boards to allow these LCD displays that Jeff is working on, they can be used as an addon for those that would like to see a description of the current file. can add to either external and internal

You found real DB23 connectors?
Old 23 July 2015, 00:48   #173
solarice

Well i decided to upgrade the firmware to the HxC and tbh it went so smoothly i thought i hadn't done it properly. No word of a lie, i was like "is that it?"

One thing i did notice when i first booted the machine with only the firmware update in the USB (just after the initial flash), it booted to the HDD and the gotek went a bit funny.

I think and i say think because stupidly i didn't properly check first before i ran the update procedure, but it's possible the updater activated by itself without holding down the two buttons after the OS had loaded. Like it went to mount the floppy in the OS and then flashed itself (the lcd did change its status iirc). It's possible i'm mistaken but thought i'd mention it, not that it makes much difference tbh.

I'm also guessing the option drive a and drive b won't be fully operational at all / yet...as drive b doesn't seem to do anything at the moment. So something to look out for as it confused me briefly.

I've yet to properly test it but seems to be loading some games that wouldn't before and best of all i can now use my microsd to usb adapter, so no more giant usb stick hanging out of the machine.
Old 25 July 2015, 04:25   #174
desiv

Has anyone tested an Amiga 1000 Kickstart disk with this firmware on a Gotek?

I like the Gotek, but I haven't been able to get it to work with an ADF of a kickstart disk.

Right now I have an ugly homemade cable where my original floppy and Gotek are both connected and I have a switch to flip a wire between them to toggle.
It works, but I have to put my real kickstart disk in first, kit my 1000 up, then flip the switch and the Gotek can take over.

It'd be nicer if I didn't have to do that.

Sounds like I have to use Windows software for the first flash? :-(
Guess I'll have to borrow my wife's laptop as I'm a Linux user here and have been using that to flash the Gotek.

Thanx,

desiv
Old 25 July 2015, 05:05   #175
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
You found real DB23 connectors?

not quite on the 23 pin connectors, this is what i done I used a 25 pin connector and a dremel was used to cut the surround and i used a real female 23 pin connector to reshape the surround to size and then used solder to secure it

here is a picture of the innards of the Final External floppy emulator (with HXC FW installed)

It has the programming header, 4 pin header (with the 2 pullup resistors) for the 16x2 LCD display, jumper for LED display brightness and audio disable jumper

here is a picture of the 16 x 2 LCD display attached. The smaller LED display is disabled. The buttons on the adapter control up/down selection still. The LCD display just needs the 4 pin cable connected to function

Last edited by kipper2k; 25 July 2015 at 05:47.
Old 25 July 2015, 16:00   #176
Amiga1992

Awesome stuff, kipper!
Old 25 July 2015, 20:07   #177
kolla
Banned

Yes, really nice!
Old 26 July 2015, 21:18   #178
attle

Does the HxC firmware work from DF2:? The Cortex one does not. I would like to use a gotek in an external drive for my A3000.
Old 31 July 2015, 13:57   #179
syphus

Well this is embarrassing, although I'm fairly certain I followed all the instructions to the letter:

I had one Gotek flashed with Cortex, which has worked fine for about a year, and yesterday I took delivery of a second. I was about to flash it with Cortex until d0pefish told me that HxC had been ported to the Gotek - hooray! I immediately paid Jeff for two licences, and he set me up an account very swiftly (thanks Jeff!)

First attempt, flashing the 'fresh' (non-Cortex) Gotek with a CP2102 USB-UART device from Windows 7 with the right driver installed, seemed to go well until I realised it was taking far too long and there was no progress info - it just sent and received mystery data for about 45mins before I unplugged it and tried again. Second time, it seemed to work fine - showed me the 'Done!' message, so I rebooted it with a fresh USB stick with the firmware in the root and the buttons pressed. Strangely, nothing displayed at all on the LCD...although this had illuminated fine when I first powered up the new Gotek to test it. Also nothing when the old Gotek's LCD was plugged in, and I can't get any of my Amigas (with hard drives removed and other boot devices disabled) to recognise it.

So I tried flashing the older, Cortex-flashed Gotek...and on this I get 'HxC' displayed on the LCD, and some swirly segment-animation when loading the firmware, but still no recognition from my Amigas (tested on two A1200s, one A600 and one A500+ - all working fine with mechanical floppy drives, and one of the A1200s previously had the older Gotek in it).

I'd try again, but now Jeff's flash loader says I've got no licences left - which is understandable - and yet something's clearly gone wrong and it appears that I don't have HxC installed properly on at least one Gotek, possibly on either. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Can anyone think of something I can do to test either device? The lack of LCD display on the newer Gotek is disturbing, but the results when trying to get Amigas to recognise either of them are the same.

Should I try flashing them with Cortex to see if that works, before asking Jeff very nicely if he'll let me try flashing HxC again?

Thanks in advance for any advice anybody might have!

[EDIT] - I also did the following:
- removed the reset jumper after flashing
- set the drive select jumper to S0, though I also tested in S1
- tested multiple USB sticks, with *just* the firmware in the root, and also with the firmware plus a single .adf.hfe file, and also with a whole load of other directories and files on them. Reformatted a few times and scanned for errors on the Windows side (FAT32).

Syphus / Up Rough

Last edited by syphus; 31 July 2015 at 14:26. Reason: extra info
Old 31 July 2015, 17:07   #180
supaduper

there should be three files in the root of the thumb drive these are: AUTOBOOT.HFE, HXCSDFE.CFG, and HXCFEUSB_HFE (this the firmware with the version after this)

I bet you have not got those two files in the USB drive