English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 May 2016, 00:20   #1
tand

How to run Banshee AGA full speed ?

hi all,
using winuae 3220 on atom x5-z8300 ( quad core 1.44 ghz - 1.8 ghz ), 2gb ram, win 10 home, 32bit operating system

running a500 stuff fine, even with cycle exact.

BUT trying to get banshee aga running at good speed, im pretty sure the atom x5-z8300 is up to it ?
ive messed about with the settings but still get stuttery scratchy sound and approx 20 percent slower than real miggy, in places maybe 10 percent, in other places 30 percent ( near end of level one where it starts raining )

im no expert re the settings panel, can anyone recommend ideal settings, or post a config for this game, that would be great, cheers.
i just need a wee bit extra speed, hopefully that is possible by tinkering with the many settings availiable.

also, i must be missing a correct setting somewhere cos ingame, after using the roll button once ( roll is like an ingame smart bomb, but in this case the player gets a set number of rolls, and is invincible whilst doing them ) the button from then on does not register, despite still having rolls availiable, WEIRD !.

i enclose the config im currently using ( ive tried d3d, and i think direct draw, but can not seem to get direct draw to stick ? )
addendum, seems i can not post my config yet, i need more posts
cheers
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 May 2016, 00:25   #2
tand

seems i am now allowed to post my config !, i had to re log in again
Attached Files
File Type: uae banshee.uae (21.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 06 May 2016, 00:31   #3
DamienD
Global Moderator

Hello there tand,

Welcome to EAB

Not sure if I'm much help as I still use Windows 7. From what I've read Windows 10 can be a little problematic (not down to any fault of WinUAE though)...

Anyway, no special settings for Banshee really. Obviously AGA so a QuickStart "A1200 - Basic non-expanded configuration" with the slider to the far left (so that Cycle-Exact is enable) works perfectly for me (and I've complete the game multiple times with none of the slowdowns you've mentioned)
Old 06 May 2016, 00:45   #4
tand

thanks for reply, ive just tried QuickStart A1200 but its even slower than my config !, really slow.
when you say "slider to the far left", which one ?, there are quite a few sliders

cheers
Old 06 May 2016, 00:54   #5
DamienD
Global Moderator

The one in the QuickStart panel i.e. "Best compatibility" to the far left:

You could also try setting "Fastest possible" from the "Hardware --> CPU and FPU" section afterwards but really you shouldn't need to do this:

Old 06 May 2016, 01:11   #6
tand

cheers, some improvement, sound still scratchy, still slows down bad when the rain starts, but getting there !

ive read that under win 10 direct draw is best, but i can not seem to get that option to work, not even sure what needs ticking really
Old 06 May 2016, 08:04   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Emulation simply needs more CPU time than normally, game is a special case: left side scoreboard is huge border visible sprite, AGA "border sprites" are more complex to emulate and sprite is also relatively large.
Old 06 May 2016, 12:57   #8
tand

cheers, that explains the slowdown then.

trying to figure out how to overclock the atom x5-z8300 ( its supposed to turbo to 1.8 ghz, but i dont think it is otherwise banshee should be ok at that speed )

also, wondering from which winuae version was win 10 supported

also, figured out why the roll button not working, seems to be mapped to the windows touch key at the side of the tablet !, but can still use one roll on the gamepad ok, then the next roll has to initiated by touching the tablets window touch key ( which is not a physical button )
Old 06 May 2016, 13:14   #9
Mclane
Old fart!

Unfortunately the more complex the emulation the more it leans on the CPU, the usual thought is that "its only a Amiga its emulating" but its very much more complex, you emulate the individual chips, the CPU's, the bus the whole shebang which considering its not machine code (although I presume there is some in parts?) its a considerable feat by Toni.
Old 07 May 2016, 14:36   #10
tand

i just need a wee speed boost to get this game running full speed,

and was wondering if i used a slightly older version of winuae ( bearing in mind im on windows 10 ) could i acheive this ?,

later versions of winuae are ever more accurate and thus require a wee bit more cpu grunt to run fullspeed.
if im wrong in this assumption please feel free to call me an idiot !!
Old 07 May 2016, 15:50   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is possible that some (very) old version may run it faster. Problem probably is something else than core emulation if some recent version works faster.

You may get some more speed if you adjust your config:
- switch off more compatible CPU (it may run faster or stop working..)
- Display panel triple vs double buffer may help or may not.
- can break compatibility: try fastest possible CPU or even JIT.. If it breaks compatibility, try whdload version with same config.
- because game uses huge sprites (that has nothing to do with gameplay): switching off sprite collisions may help (collision level in chipset panel).

btw, your config is odd combination of AGA and non-AGA features, for example A500 base hardware (chipset extra), A500 KS ROM..
Old 07 May 2016, 17:35   #12
tand

cheers, thanks for that,
will try all your suggestions tonight
Old 09 May 2016, 19:16   #13
tand

Thanks for the tips Toni, here are my results with Banshee AGA--

i switched off the more compatible CPU option, the game seems to be ok ( but not played extensively yet ) and gains approx a 3 to 4 percent speed boost in the rain sections, still some slowdown but better than before.

Display panel triple vs double buffer, i think maybe wee bit slower with double buffer !

set sprite collisions to none ( but not sure if this will affect gameplay ?, does not seem to so far, but wondering if set to none then will some later enemys/bosses not collide/shoot player etc ? ), not sure if this increases speed, will need to experiment, how to get onscreen fps counter ?

cheers
Old 10 May 2016, 02:48   #14
Sandro
Banned

The intel atom cpus were designed for the women to post selfies in facebook
they are very slow not suitable for emulators

you can see in this comparison a similar atom is 4x slower than the old Pentium 4 running at 3.6ghz

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/91?vs=87

check cinebench single thread benchmark
Old 10 May 2016, 06:50   #15
Mclane
Old fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
The intel atom cpus were designed for the women to post selfies in facebook
Whoa...I hope you have your flame retardant pants on
Old 10 May 2016, 08:51   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Error. Wrong Atom generation.

Bay Trail Atoms (used in most Windows 10 tablets) are totally different (=much much much faster) than old crappy Atoms.
Old 10 May 2016, 11:39   #17
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tand View Post
not sure if this increases speed, will need to experiment, how to get onscreen fps counter ?
Select "Settings" --> "Host" --> "Miscellaneous" and then tick "Native on-screen display"

Old 11 May 2016, 01:20   #18
tand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Error. Wrong Atom generation.

Bay Trail Atoms (used in most Windows 10 tablets) are totally different (=much much much faster) than old crappy Atoms.
This is correct, the atom in the tablet im using, which i got from argos---

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4552925.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200223050|agid:12488287490|tidla-162345958130|crid:66128552450|nw:g|rnd:9642045426042772171|dvc:c|adp:1o5&gclid=CO3tltnO0MwCFckaGwodtRoEkw

is pretty sweet at miggy emulation, the A500 is full speed, and AGA is nearly full speed.
The only other emu i tried on this tablet is final burn, obviously runs full speed but unlike winuae the tablets built in joystick/gamepad lag pretty badly therebye spoiling the games, but in winuae ( the sole reason for me getting the tablet, that and the inbuilt joysticks ) the joystick lag is much much less, therebye making the games almost as good as on a real miggy.

wonder why winuae joystick lag is much better than other emus ?

winuae is the only emu im gonna use on this tablet, cos, like most tablets with hardwired gamepads/joysticks, emus seem to lag badly, that is probably down to the physical controls on such tablets, theres always a game destroying lag in non analog games, ie, emus,

but for some reason winuaes lag is much better, maybe it recognizes the physical controls in a better way, but the upshot is that miggy on this tablet is the best 'handheld' miggy ive ever used, cos controls are everything.

ps, if anyone has a good recommendation for handheld miggy gaming i would love to hear them, bearing in mind that a great inbuilt dpad/joystick is important.
Old 11 May 2016, 08:37   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tand View Post
set sprite collisions to none ( but not sure if this will affect gameplay ?, does not seem to so far, but wondering if set to none then will some later enemys/bosses not collide/shoot player etc ? ), not sure if this increases speed, will need to experiment, how to get onscreen fps counter ?
I don't think there are any sprite game objects in Banshee.

Quote:
wonder why winuae joystick lag is much better than other emus ?
Most likely reason is use of usb hid rawinput (not just easy to use mouse/keyboard rawinput but rawinput that also supports all USB game controllers) and winuae also handles input events multiple times per frame, not just once per frame.

EDIT: It is also possible some emulators select too much display buffering (especially triple buffering) which practically only increases latency.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 11 May 2016 at 10:09.
Old 11 May 2016, 13:49   #20
tand

Thanks Toni, i shall now leave sprites off in confidence when running banshee, it must be worth a wee speed boost, every little bit helps !.

Info re rawinput explains why other emus can lag so much, ive always found winuae to be more responsive to usb gamepads than, say, mame, which i have not used in years cos as a fan of old style vertical shootemups i found a bit of lag, but mame was better than other emus ( except winuae ) when it came to joystick lag, some emus are really laggy.
Methinks, after reading your info, that it might be worth revisiting mame and tinkering with all that buffering stuff !.

ps, soz for posting link to the tablet i have, did not realise that links may be frowned upon ( although the link still works if copy/pasted, despite the emoticon over a bit of it ! )
AdSense AdSense