English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 July 2008, 22:52   #21
Anubis
Retro Gamer

None of my friends has moded console. I've read somewhere that there is a way to move save state onto key with some software, once key has been formated in x-box.

I will have to check tonight if version of the game I have is good for soft-modding. I am not sure if it was just regular or 'game of the year' edition.

If not, I think I saw splinter cell in play 'n trade.

I will have more time over weekend, so I'm planing to try softmod on Friday or Saturday. (I might check if they hace any AR in the store as well)

I was thinking about bigger HD to have option to play some Sega CD games. Will emu load games from DVD as well? (like Dreamcast)
Old 30 July 2008, 23:02   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I've read somewhere that there is a way to move save state onto key with some software, once key has been formated in x-box.
Key?

X-box memory cards are regular USB memory sticks (albeit with a strange connector). You can make your own adapter to standard USB (effectively a homebrew AR)... or even use an X-box USB Joypad adapter cable. The official AR software can be used (or 3rd party) to prepare and access USB memory sticks formatted for the X-Box and is freely downloadable.

But surely it would be easier to send your memory stick to someone who has a modded box?

Quote:
I was thinking about bigger HD to have option to play some Sega CD games. Will emu load games from DVD as well? (like Dreamcast)
Depends on the emulator... most do. Some have network file access so you can keep the games on your PC / NAS.

Last edited by alexh; 30 July 2008 at 23:13.
Old 31 July 2008, 00:56   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Neogenesis allows for network directory support as well as megaCD emu i think.
Old 31 July 2008, 01:43   #24
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

All xport emus have network dir support I think.
Old 31 July 2008, 09:53   #25
OddbOd

Yup all XPort emulators are built on top of a common framework, they all support SAMBA and Relax shares as well as loading from ISO9660 discs.

Definitely have to agree with alexh, softmod is the way to go. Even on my hardmodded XBOX I have a softmod installed as well to enable the use of Drive Image Utilities. The reason for this is because some games (namely NBA Live and V8 Supercars 3) cannot be run directly from harddisk as they use filenames that are too long for the FATX filesystem, by using a softmod and patched kernel it is possible to run games from an ISO image which avoids the problem.
Old 31 July 2008, 14:27   #26
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Well, I have Platinum Hits version of the game, and according to resources, it can't be used for soft-modding. Over the weekend I'll check local game stores for AR and one of required games.
Old 31 July 2008, 15:15   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Well, I have Platinum Hits version of the game, and according to resources, it can't be used for soft-modding.
Which game?
Old 31 July 2008, 15:21   #28
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Mechassault - front cover is the same as on this link.
Old 31 July 2008, 15:40   #29
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
I have no idea what any of my keys are
I think they're talking about the HDD lock/unlock key/pasword which is stored in the eeprom iirc. You can back it up to c: on the xbox using the auto installer.

I have a softmodded xbox which I use for emulators mainly as my main pc rig is connected to my hdtv and my surround so no need to watch films via the xbox. Most of the emulators as KG has already stated above work brilliantly, I was surprised how well they do work.

I used the hot swap method to softmod mine and to upgrade my HDD to a 120GB. I had to use an old Pentium 2 machine from work to get the Linux distro to boot from cd tho as my main rig just wouldn't boot it for some reason.

Quote:
Well, I have Platinum Hits version of the game, and according to resources, it can't be used for soft-modding. Over the weekend I'll check local game stores for AR and one of required games.
One of the games still works but I cant remember which one.
Old 31 July 2008, 15:44   #30
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I used the hot swap method to softmod mine and to upgrade my HDD to a 120GB. I had to use an old Pentium 2 machine from work to get the Linux distro to boot from cd tho as my main rig just wouldn't boot it for some reason.
I'd like to know how to do this actually... I could do with putting a new HDD in.
Old 31 July 2008, 15:57   #31
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

This thread is of particular interest to me because I don't really know anything about the XBOX other than that it's a game console that can run 3rd party software and that I bought one last month.

A friend was selling it for peanuts so I grabbed it thinking it might be fun. My interest is in using it to run a bunch of emulators and there are a few XBOX games I'd like to play without having to deal with (read purchase) them on disc. I assumed I would have to install a mod chip but this soft modding has piqued my curiosity. I'm a little fuzzy on something. Is the soft mod method permanent or is this something you must do after each cold boot? I think I'd like to upgrade the HD as well. From what I gather I can prepare an HD on a PC and then put it in the XBOX and away I go?

I have a lot to learn.
Old 31 July 2008, 16:05   #32
seuden
uber cool demi god

Soft mod is permanent.

Quote:
From what I gather I can prepare an HD on a PC and then put it in the XBOX and away I go?
Basically yes.
Old 31 July 2008, 16:09   #33
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I'm learning the same as you are. I got my xBox not long ago, but I already have over 30 original games as they are very cheap. (Trade n' Play had some of the games for 3 bucks, most expensive I paid for Halo and Halo 2 (both new) - 10 bucks. Same I paid for Ninja Gaiden, but it was used.

From what I gather, soft-mode is of course permanent, and it is the same as hard-modding the consoles, but without any soldering. You have to have either someone who has moded console or AR and one off needed games to install Linux and start with soft modding.

Important thing is to backup your key file, which you'll need if you plan to upgrade HD and do some other stuff.

I'm still a bit confused with all this locking thing, but I'm sure it will be much more clear once I start with this.
Old 31 July 2008, 16:17   #34
keropi

so OK.... I have a softmoded xbox already with the stock HD.
what is the best method to put inside a 250GB spare HD I have?
Old 31 July 2008, 16:24   #35
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Soft mod is permanent.
Excellent. This sounds like the path of least resistance and I'm all about doing as little as possible.

Quote:
Basically yes.
Then I'm with killergorilla in wanting to know more. Is there a document describing how one might go about doing this?

Quote:
You have to have either someone who has moded console or AR and one off needed games to install Linux and start with soft modding.
I have a friend with a hardware modded XBOX so the first consideration shouldn't be a problem. What is "AR"? Also, why is an original game needed if this is being done on a PC?

I very much like the idea of preparing everything on my desk and then dropping the HD into the XBOX and having it go. That system worked very well for me when I was preparing a CF for my 1200.
Old 31 July 2008, 16:29   #36
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Keropi

Send it to me, with the board and mod chip (still looking for a good deal for you) and I will hack it with pics and prep the drive, stick all the EMU's on it and Mame + Files etc etc.
Old 31 July 2008, 16:30   #37
keropi

@Z:

thanks Z, I was just thinking if we can avoid the trouble (meaning YOUR trouble)
but since you will also put stuffz inside, you get my vote
Old 31 July 2008, 16:33   #38
seuden
uber cool demi god

All the tutorials and links I used for soft modding and upgrading the hdd are on my home pc, I won't be home till around 8ish GMT, I'll post it all up when I get home.
Old 31 July 2008, 16:46   #39
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Thank you very much, seuden. I've got a spare 200GB drive here so I'm eager to see if I can make this work. The XBOX versions of Outrun look really cool so I best start looking for somewhere to download them.
Old 31 July 2008, 16:49   #40
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Alexh and rest of soft-mods, what dashboard replacement do you suggest? Which one works best?