English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 January 2011, 18:18   #1541
Vinamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
There is no reason for your worries of a melted cable. The heatsink won't ever reach the melting temperature of that material. Should it ever do that in normal operation (that is: 24/7 operation, which is guaranteed), I'll bring the replacement matrix to your house myself.

Jens
That's what I call service!!
Old 09 January 2011, 18:47   #1542
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
@Peter

That was what I meant

@FOL

Damned, the guy that put the fan has lost his warranty ??
If the ACA damage the ribbon, will you send us some new matrix for free?
If I went to a shop and bought a TV, then jammed a fan on it, then took it back. Your telling me the shop would fix it if it went faulty? I doubt it.

So your telling me it has damaged your ribbon cable?
The fact that I have run mine for 16+ constantly means nothing?
Its slightly warm, thats it. Hell the cable gets warm anyway without expansion. Even the 1200 cable gets very slightly warm.

Nevermind Jens answered for me, .
Old 09 January 2011, 19:08   #1543
Khyron

Quote:
Try removing one of the jumpers NoDisk or BootSel. If that helps, send the card back for service, so proper function can be enabled with jumpers set and PCMCIA working.
Jens
Could you give more details on this issue. Does it affect all units, or is it specific to some sort of combination?
Old 09 January 2011, 19:13   #1544
PulsatingQuasar

Quote:
@Peter

That was what I meant

@FOL

Damned, the guy that put the fan has lost his warranty ??
If the ACA damage the ribbon, will you send us some new matrix for free?
I doubt that sticking a fan on it to lower the temperature a lot will loose my warranty. The life of the card will be longer now.

Sticking a much better fan assembly on a video card won't loose your warranty. I have replaced the cooling paste on my G73JH notebook video card after it became clear that many of them had cooling issues. A manager from Asus America division made clear that replacing the cooling paste to prevent overheating was no warranty breaker.

I highly doubt I would need warranty anyway. Just the remark that I would loose my warranty this way was really ........

Last edited by PulsatingQuasar; 09 January 2011 at 19:59.
Old 09 January 2011, 19:26   #1545
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsatingQuasar View Post
I doubt that sticking a fan on it to lower the temperature a lot will loose my warranty. The life of the card will be longer now.

Sticking a much better fan assembly on a video card won't loose your warranty. I have replaced the cooling paste on my G73JH notebook video card after it became clear that many of them had cooling issues. A manager from Asus America division made clear that replacing the cooling paste to prevent overheating was no warranty breaker.

I highly doubt I would need warranty anyway. Just the remark that I would loose my warranty this way was really ........
No point in replying to this.
Only thing I will say, there is no issues / problems.
I was talking about people gluing another heatsink to it to attach a fan.

Last post from me in this thread, as this thread has gone off on a tangent.

Last edited by FOL; 09 January 2011 at 20:37.
Old 09 January 2011, 19:53   #1546
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
Could you give more details on this issue. Does it affect all units, or is it specific to some sort of combination?
It only affects a few units, and we're handling this under warranty.

PulsatingQuasar,
FOL's remark about losing your warranty by glueing on a fan may not be so wrong. The heatsink is designed to radiate heat on a large area. The fan covers part of that area. If for some reason the fan fails, it's counterproductive. Everything is fine while it spins, though. However, keep in mind that it was designed to radiate heat as a passive device into an environment that's up to 60 degrees warm. This means that it still requires a temperature difference on top of those 60 degrees to radiate the heat and keep the CPU below 70 degrees. If you touch the heatsink, you will feel "hot", as the human skin feels anything above 55 degrees as "too hot to touch".

Jens

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 09 January 2011 at 20:05. Reason: added note to PulsatingQuasar to avoid back-to-back posting
Old 09 January 2011, 22:43   #1547
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
BTW, some people asked me what I think about the ACA630, I did a video:
[ Show youtube player ]
I hate when you take time to make something great and nobody tells you. Your video is fantastic. I would just buy the ACA630 (and BTW the A600 ) just watching it. The accelerator seems impresive!!!
I liked a couple of things in your video. I'll send you a PM.

EDIT: I wasn't going to send a PM to Jens, but to see if the moderators finally closed the option:
"Schoenfeld has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
I know he likes his privacy like nobody else, but... isn't it a little excesive that "him/her" ?

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 January 2011 at 00:21.
Old 10 January 2011, 04:05   #1548
gibs
Banned

Hehe thanks.
I did another one about the ACA630 : [ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 January 2011, 06:21   #1549
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Nice video, really shows off what you can do with your a600.

Especially the video at the end
Old 10 January 2011, 07:51   #1550
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

impressive movie playback!
Old 10 January 2011, 10:22   #1551
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
impressive movie playback!
I know I said I would'nt reply anymore,

But +1 to this comment, very nice video playback.
Old 10 January 2011, 11:59   #1552
gibs
Banned

@FOL

- The guy (in this thread, don't remember his nick) put the fan on top of the heatsink (he didn't opened it).

- I have seen a A600 ribbon half "burnt" because of the heat of a 68030.
What I think is that, with the time, the heat is going to dry the cable.
My ACA630 is runing very hot, so hot that you can't handle the finger more than 2 seconds on it.
Indeed Jens replied about that.
Old 10 January 2011, 12:58   #1553
Nikolaj_sofus

Send a message via MSN to Nikolaj_sofus
Had the ACA630-30 and ACA1230-28 waiting on my desk at work, when i got back from holidays.
Just cant wait to try them out
Too bad that i'm a bit short of time at the moment, dont know when i'm gonna have the time
Old 10 January 2011, 13:02   #1554
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Well... you can do an easily mod just to stop worrying.

Just put a double sticky tape and hold the ribbon on the top of the upper shell instead of touching ACA630.
Done it in the past with my former Viper 630 and had no problem anyway.

Btw I made a video as well testing Bloodwych's ClassicWB AdvSP and AmigaOS 3.9+BB3 booting and some minor usage.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 January 2011, 13:08   #1555
gibs
Banned

@mfilos

Yes that's what I'm going to do.
I still have some insulation tape that I bought to put under the hood of my Celica GT4.

Whiche screen driver are you using ?
I use HighGFX but it's only 4 colours in 1024x768...

Have you tried to use blackborders or blankborders (something like that) to help your screen to remove those big borders?
(because it looks like an Atari ST lol)

Nice video

Last edited by gibs; 10 January 2011 at 13:14.
Old 10 January 2011, 14:58   #1556
cv643d

My A630 is at the post office now, going to pick it up later when I pick my kid up at school.

Many thanks to everyone involved especially Jens & Oliver and Amigakit!

Lets see if I can find the hammer and chissel so I can mount it later today (j/k)
Old 10 January 2011, 15:03   #1557
cosmiq

<quote>
Someone had problems using ACA 630 and a compact flash PCMCIA reader? I have an A600 motherboard rev. 2D, and all data copied to CF card are corrupted, i have tested with ACATune with maprom, fastchip and z2chip functions activated, and i tested also without ACATune, but without any successful result, it only works with ACA 630 disabled.
</quote>

Yes I also have problems with PCMCIA : Drive is just not recognized - I don't get an CF0: icon on workbench. For me it would be sufficient if it works when disabling the accelerator, as I only have to copy stuff once in a while.
Guess I have to try again tonight.

By the way: I succesfully loaded Kick 3.1 maprom, SPEED INCREASE IS AWESOME! Every operating system in the world should have this response time!! (i've tested the new beta btw, didn't test a 1Mb rom yet.. but might do that tonight).
Old 10 January 2011, 16:14   #1558
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
Yes I also have problems with PCMCIA : Drive is just not recognized - I don't get an CF0: icon on workbench. For me it would be sufficient if it works when disabling the accelerator, as I only have to copy stuff once in a while.
PCMCIA will work fine if you remove BootSel and NoDisk jumpers. You can even have the "NoDisk" function by placing the jumper on pins 1&2 of the internal floppy header.

The BootSel and NoDisk jumpers are hot-swappable. No need to switch off the computer (let alone switch off the accelerator!).

If you want BootSel and PCMCIA to work at the same time, please send in the card for service.

Jens
Old 10 January 2011, 17:41   #1559
CrashMidnick

This board is awesome. ACATune does a great job ! My OS 3.9 is runing really fine with that board (I thought it won't). Thanks for doing that guys ! However, as gibs said, we always want more so give us more !! Do not forget our Zorro II/III Amiga as well The A500 is the less expensive Amiga, the more common and one of the hardest to upgrade : a combo 030/RAM + ide would be so nice.
Old 10 January 2011, 17:48   #1560
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
If you want [ACA630] BootSel and PCMCIA to work at the same time, please send in the card for service.
Is this something an experienced ASIC engineer with access to a range of JTAG programmers could do at home? I've had to return my ACA630 once already!