English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 March 2017, 22:12   #1
Starglider 2

Little Computer People IRL

Just a funny thought I wanted to share. When I was 16 I loved Little Computer People. I remember going to school once and missing my guy so much (I'd left him running on the Miggy at home) that another 2 friends actually consoled me and told me to try not to think about him.

Now I own a home and we have 4 security cameras around it, mostly outside. We also have a roommate living with us (a best friend). I find myself fascinated by watching the 4 cameras and definitely see reflections of my Little Computer Person in her. If she goes outside for something, or checks the mailbox, or picks up a package from the front door, etc. We also get notifications when she watches something on her Chromecast. I'm not watching in a creepy way (no camera in the shower like LCP!) but rather thinking "here's a little person living in my house who we look after and check up on, I'm glad she's enjoying our home". We even bring her food regularly!

Are there any "life imitates art" moments in your life inspired by old Amiga games of your childhood?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Starglider 2; 12 March 2017 at 08:52.
Old 12 March 2017, 04:42   #2
Signman

Funny you mention little computer people. I said recently to my wife that my neighbor across the street is like that. Same routine, on the porch for a smoke twice an hour, remote starts his car in the morning, runs to the store on cue. Repeat.

Now what am I doing to notice this?
Old 12 March 2017, 05:20   #3
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Funny you mention little computer people. I said recently to my wife that my neighbor across the street is like that. Same routine, on the porch for a smoke twice an hour, remote starts his car in the morning, runs to the store on cue. Repeat.

Now what am I doing to notice this?
Ahahaha! Good point.
Old 24 March 2017, 05:01   #4
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider 2 View Post
I'm not watching in a creepy way (no camera in the shower like LCP!) but rather thinking "here's a little person living in my house who we look after and check up on, I'm glad she's enjoying our home". We even bring her food regularly!
While I have not given the game LCP any real attention as it is simply not my thing. I felt the need to comment on this quoted text, as it indicates why I am not really opposed to some companies like Google keeping tabs on me.

They are not watching me because they wish to operate as an Orwellian Big Brother and control my mind, limit my information and censor me like some kind of totalitarian government might. But more because they are operating more like a real genetic big brother and offering general assistance, advice and other niceties.

Although as a member of what the media call "generation X" I do resent being marketed to and am somewhat cynical of any advertised links they provide me when I search.
Old 24 March 2017, 07:51   #5
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
While I have not given the game LCP any real attention as it is simply not my thing. I felt the need to comment on this quoted text, as it indicates why I am not really opposed to some companies like Google keeping tabs on me.

They are not watching me because they wish to operate as an Orwellian Big Brother and control my mind, limit my information and censor me like some kind of totalitarian government might. But more because they are operating more like a real genetic big brother and offering general assistance, advice and other niceties.

Although as a member of what the media call "generation X" I do resent being marketed to and am somewhat cynical of any advertised links they provide me when I search.
But do they bring you food?
*Googles Pizza Hut coupons*
Old 24 March 2017, 13:07   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post

Dear oh dear. Generation 'daft' is more like it. You are not opposed to companies keeping tabs on you? Google are exactly what George Orwell was warning about. I'm afraid 'Generation X' have been brainwashed into thinking the way you do. The truth is you've been lied to your entire life. Censorship is already underway big time!
Old 24 March 2017, 13:23   #7
Daedalus

It's more a case of not being bothered. If you're fully aware of the relationship between these companies and the general public, then you're in the right position to decide whether you want to avail of their services or not. Personally I'm happy enough to give them the information I do in return for the services they provide. If I don't want them to have particular information I won't give it to them. Simple.
Old 24 March 2017, 14:07   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Google, Youtube and Facebook support illegal activity if they think it will improve the numbers on there site and run a monopoly, why no-one has come up with a alternative I dont know.
Old 24 March 2017, 14:15   #9
Daedalus

There are loads of alternatives out there for all of those sites. All you have to do is use them instead. But often that's not as convenient or useful to people, which is why they return to the big ones. No point in me using some super-secure and anonymous social network if all my friends use Facebook to communicate.
Old 24 March 2017, 16:29   #10
Amiga1992

I honestly don't understand how anyone can be OK with anybody else (a corporation, a government or any other entity really) having access to everything you do online and to let them even use it as their asset that they sell to others plus for them to sell you back shit and definitely control and skew the content you see every day.

Convenience/laziness plus that artificial "instant retribution" system really has gotten into everyone's minds and has ruined them.

There's plenty of alternatives. We electronically communicated great way before any of this shit existed. It's just that people *think* they must be on Facebook, Google or whatever. if you make the extra effort, you can get rid of them all and not be disrupted in your "digital life" at all. But "ain't nobody got time for that", right?

On topic: OP you're creepy :P
Old 24 March 2017, 17:31   #11
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I honestly don't understand how anyone can be OK with anybody else (a corporation, a government or any other entity really) having access to everything you do online
On topic: OP you're creepy :P
Lol, thanks! Admit it though, you watched your LCP shower with fascination.

Off topic: I think the truth is Google really don't find my life (or any of ours) interesting enough to actually have a human being spy on my daily habits or gossip about what Pizza I ordered or what actor I searched for. And if it's just a machine, I don't care. And if they sell it, that's my subscription price.

As long as you're not doing anything highly illegal, why should you care any more than our childhood LCPs cared when we watched them sleeping.

Thanks!!
Old 24 March 2017, 17:44   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider 2 View Post
Off topic: I think the truth is Google really don't find my life (or any of ours) interesting enough to actually have a human being spy on my daily habits or gossip about what Pizza I ordered or what actor I searched for. And if it's just a machine, I don't care. And if they sell it, that's my subscription price.
But that's just not it, or you doing anything illegal.
For one, they are making billions off of your (and others's) data. And what do you get back from it? Is it fair? To not go deeper into the rabbit hole, this sole point is really puzzling, how can anybody be alright with people making money off you and not getting any percentage of it back?

It seems to me your "subscription price" is rather high. I see most people complain about paying $9 to Netflix or $25 to register WinRAR yet they allow this and it blows my mind as it makes no fucking sense. I don't have specific numbers, but I am sure everyone would be surprised if they knew how much the average person's internet activity is worth in money when used as the sole asset for sale by companies like Google or Fakebook.

It's not that you "buying pizza is interesting", but Pizza Company has an interest in reaching adverts to you specifically if you bought pizza. Nobody is giggling at your choice of internet ography.
Old 24 March 2017, 17:49   #13
Starglider 2

Quote:
But that's just not it, or you doing anything illegal.
For one, they are making billions off of your (and others's) data. And what do you get back from it? Is it fair? To not go deeper into the rabbit hole, this sole point is really puzzling, how can anybody be alright with people making money off you and not getting any percentage of it back?

It seems to me your "subscription price" is rather high. I see most people complain about paying $9 to Netflix or $25 to register WinRAR yet they allow this and it blows my mind as it makes no fucking sense.

It's not that "you buying pizza is interesting", but Pizza Company has an interest in reaching adverts to you specifically if you bought pizza. Nobody is giggling at your choice of internet ography.
I do see your point. For me the subscription price is fair. I love Google. I'm in their ecosystem. I use Gmail, Drive, Docs, Photos, and many more. All free. They pay me to use their surveys app.

What profit they make doesn't change how useful I find them.

I think the test is, try living without Google services completely for one week. Then see if you think the price ($0) is fair.

But each to their own. I respect your opinion. I do see an appeal in just going completely offline and buying a Nokia 3310. It was part of the appeal that made me get my A500 online. Just basic email, and I receive about one every two weeks! Heaven.

Thanks!!
Old 24 March 2017, 17:56   #14
Amiga1992

Yeah exactly to each their own, it's just that it saddens me as I see these companies to actually be detrimental to humankind and wish more people would see them the same way, as a problem, not a solution.
And yeah I get it that their ecosystem can be convenient, but that doesn't make it indispensable to me. I have been for over a year getting off these systems and I am succeeding so far, only being troubled by laying off gmail because of certain things i haven't figured out yet. But I won't give up just because it's more inconvenient for me to find another way to do things.

With enough time and patience, most of these things, like email, can be maintained and ran on your own. You know, like we used to Without the need to go full hermit, buy a Nokia 3310 and get off the grid. I love to be online, I just don't love corporations making a buck out of that and having info they shouldn't
Old 24 March 2017, 18:03   #15
Starglider 2

Quote:
Yeah exactly to each their own, it's just that it saddens me as I see these companies to actually be detrimental to humankind and wish more people would see them the same way, as a problem, not a solution.
And yeah I get it that their ecosystem can be convenient, but that doesn't make it indispensable to me. I have been for over a year getting off these systems and I am succeeding so far, only being troubled by laying off gmail because of certain things i haven't figured out yet. But I won't give up just because it's more inconvenient for me to find another way to do things.

With enough time and patience, most of these things, like email, can be maintained and ran on your own. You know, like we used to Without the need to go full hermit, buy a Nokia 3310 and get off the grid. I love to be online, I just don't love corporations making a buck out of that and having info they shouldn't
Good luck sincerely, and I'd love to follow your attempts to go off the grid, host your own email etc in a thread here. I think the biggest challenge will be getting away from the cable internet providers, who also can see everything you do. You'd have to lay your own wiring or launch your own satellite 🤔

Thanks!!
Old 24 March 2017, 19:46   #16
Amiga1992

Well I hate to drag this even more off-topic (sorry about that!) but I am not really going off the grid, I am still on the grid, but not using the mainstream options and not having my every move monitored, stored and sold for profit. It's perfectly possible! I just need to get rid of Gmail last, and Fastmail so far seems the best option.

As for hiding everything, it's rather easy: hire a proper, reliable, secure VPN.

These options sometime cost money. But I rather pay cash than be used like a slave.
Old 24 March 2017, 19:49   #17
Daedalus

Well, it's not a case of thinking I have to be on these things. It just makes my life a fair bit easier because my information is there. I have a couple of friends who aren't on Facebook for example, and that makes things awkward because they're not involved in group chats when organising parties and things like that - instead I need to keep on top of things with a flurry of text messages that I feed back into the group. I have email address with my hosting company for which I pay along with my hosting, yet I still use GMail because no other web front-end even comes close to being as convenient to use, and I've yet to see a more effective spam filter from any provider, paid or not.

A lot of these things are worth of a subscription fee, which I would pay instead of giving away my data, but that very thing would stop so many people from using them, which in turn would remove the very reason they're so useful, so I pay for the services in information instead. Of course they're getting rich off it, good for them. They're making a lot of money by providing an excellent product. In a different work, if everyone had to pay for such services with cash instead of information, they'd be getting rich off us anyway so I don't begrudge them that.
Old 24 March 2017, 20:34   #18
Starglider 2

Quote:
Well I hate to drag this even more off-topic (sorry about that!) but I am not really going off the grid, I am still on the grid, but not using the mainstream options and not having my every move monitored, stored and sold for profit. It's perfectly possible! I just need to get rid of Gmail last, and Fastmail so far seems the best option.

As for hiding everything, it's rather easy: hire a proper, reliable, secure VPN.

These options sometime cost money. But I rather pay cash than be used like a slave.
Fastmail has a great reputation. Sincere question: Does it worry you that they're smaller and have far less customers which means you're 1 in a million instead of a billion, which makes your data more visible and targetable? I kind of like being lost in the mix of Gmail. I feel as invisible as a grain of sand vs. a pebble.

Also with a VPN, just using one makes you potentially of more interest to law enforcement, and the VPN could be found to be doing shady deals or giving data up in return for warrants.

Google are less likely to risk anything with such behavior. The fact that they profit so much holds them to a higher standard because they have much more to lose.

We're not private anywhere, but personally I prefer to receive awesome services and be a needle in a haystack rather than lesser services and stand out more, conspicuous by my absence from the mainstream.

But as I say, to each their own! We have individual needs, and your plan still intrigues me. Maybe one day...

Thanks!!
Old 25 March 2017, 03:11   #19
Cherno

We didn't have the manual for the game and thus never figured out how to make him order food, so he always got sick from hunger after a while and stayed in bed with a green face All we knew is that some commands worked, like "WRITE ME A LETTER" and "PLAY MUSIC".
Old 25 March 2017, 03:21   #20
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
We didn't have the manual for the game and thus never figured out how to make him order food, so he always got sick from hunger after a while and stayed in bed with a green face All we knew is that some commands worked, like "WRITE ME A LETTER" and "PLAY MUSIC".
But now thanks to Google the manual is just a click away 😊

Thanks!!