English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 March 2017, 21:33   #21
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I use Safari, which is explicitely unsupported.

Looking forward to giving it a go; saw it many years ago on a friend's PC-FX console.
You can install megatools via brew or ports and download it like this:
Code:
patrik@smelly:~/Downloads$ megadl 'https://<insert mega>.co.nz/#!0NQEUbRB!-HTJdce-Zt1AWj2CJZJOmbovzu-pDSpu8PEf68kStbI'
Downloaded TimeGal CD32 1.0.b.zip
I had to change .nz to .co.nz in the link. I am not sure why I had to do that, but megadl claimed it was an invalid link otherwise.

Last edited by patrik; 12 March 2017 at 21:41.
Old 12 March 2017, 22:47   #22
Havie

Downloaded and played on 1200 from cd and then copied to HDD as cd making far too much noise!

Have to say I have a soft spot for these sorts of games (always loved Dragons Lair) and this looks amazing and plays well (as well as these sorts of games can of course). A real marvel and I am looking forward to more of these.

Also, is it more or are you actually chased by Godzilla in the first level - looks and sounds a lot like him. Could be the first time that the Big G has appeared on the Amiga?
Old 13 March 2017, 12:43   #23
Gaula92

@earok: any chances of a plain-68000 executable, please??
We on the Minimig (Amiga hardware on FPGA) side of things have FAST plain-68000 CPUs with ECS chipsets that outperform plain 68020 by a great margin, so even if plain-68000 the game would be fullspeed on our Amigas.

About the possibility of seeing Dragon's Lair too... WOW, PLEASE, do it!
Old 13 March 2017, 12:53   #24
Solo Kazuki

I have "opposite" question to above. If game requires 68020, is planned AGA version (256 colours or HAM8)?
Old 13 March 2017, 13:15   #25
Amigajay

The CDXL Earok has used is already AGA enhanced, you wouldn't get CDXL this higher quality on a CDTV.
Old 13 March 2017, 15:11   #26
Solo Kazuki

I was asking about HD version (not CD, supposing from CDTV mention), but i suppose it's also implemented to this version?

It should be mentioned somewhere about it, something like "AGA enhanced on AGA machines" or similar.
Old 13 March 2017, 19:39   #27
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Ok so if Earok need some help for the time stop options translation and if he need a mod for the static intro i can offer
Old 13 March 2017, 21:40   #28
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaula92 View Post
@earok: any chances of a plain-68000 executable, please??
We on the Minimig (Amiga hardware on FPGA) side of things have FAST plain-68000 CPUs with ECS chipsets that outperform plain 68020 by a great margin, so even if plain-68000 the game would be fullspeed on our Amigas.
The game is already OCS/ECS compatible. You can play it on plain 68000 -no problem- as long as you have the required chip ram. 68020 is just a recommendation for the performance alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
I have "opposite" question to above. If game requires 68020, is planned AGA version (256 colours or HAM8)?
No, 256/HAM8 performance is a bit of an issue on unexpanded machines. An enhanced version is not planned in the near future but we'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
The CDXL Earok has used is already AGA enhanced, you wouldn't get CDXL this higher quality on a CDTV.
No AGA enhancements here. We've used either 32 color screens, EHB screens and HAM6 for the in-game videos. As mentioned above the game is full OCS/ECS compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Ok so if Earok need some help for the time stop options translation and if he need a mod for the static intro i can offer
Time stop options translation? All texts are already in English, am I missing something?
Thanx for the offer though
Old 13 March 2017, 21:46   #29
vulture

Great job guys. I've to admit event-based games are not my cup of tea, but this one seems particularly nice!
Old 13 March 2017, 22:02   #30
s2325
Zone Friend

Someone posted longplay on YouTube
Old 14 March 2017, 01:26   #31
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post

Time stop options translation? All texts are already in English, am I missing something?
Thanx for the offer though
Well some of the time freeze options in Amiga are blank but in the arcade version offer japanese text:

Old 14 March 2017, 01:39   #32
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Time freeze options in Amiga are not blank. They are located at the bottom, below the play area.

[ Show youtube player ]
(check 3:44)
Old 14 March 2017, 08:01   #33
earok

Whoa, I didn't realise there had been this many replies, so sorry about the tardy response.

Ahem.

@Havie Yeah I kind of thought it was meant to be Godzilla. I know that stage is millions of years in the past but Dinosaurs didn't shoot lazers, so..

@Gaula92 As Tsak said "68020" was indeed more a recommendation than a hard requirement, while I was doing some testing on WinUAE it seemed to run noticeably slower on 68000 (though I didn't test this extensively, so I could be wrong on this point)

@SoloKazuki @AmigaJay
I have been considering investigating (certainly not any time soon) doing a higher definition edition: AGA only (HAM8), maybe slightly bigger display and a better framerate.

BUT:
- I don't have any such "real" Amiga capable of playing it, so difficult to test etc
- It would indeed be incompatible with the CD32 (mainly because the CD drive is already streaming back data as fast as it can)
- The project almost fills up a CD as it is, so maybe unless I ditch the mirrored levels it'd be HDD only.

To be clear it is not CDXL video. It is my own format that resembles CDXL in some ways (eg a whole bunch of uncompressed frames jammed together with audio information), but the files consist of 1.5 second long "buffers" to keep the game running smoothly even if there's a minor lag on the disc drive (this is why it takes a second and a half to load a level or a death scene on a CD32), whereas CDXL basically just streams from disc (and can have distorted graphics and audio if the drive isn't reading perfectly)

@Saimon69 I don't know anything about missing texts either? My port of course only shows one option as a time (most overlay the options on the main screen, which I can't do because of my use of HAM6 video)

I guess I could maybe look at putting the text in an external file so everyone can do a fan translation to any language..
Old 14 March 2017, 08:25   #34
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
@Saimon69 I don't know anything about missing texts either? My port of course only shows one option as a time (most overlay the options on the main screen, which I can't do because of my use of HAM6 video)
I think the video of game pay i have seen was sorta cropped because i did not saw the options below, so disregard my bug report; i still propose for a time gal mod for the static part
Old 14 March 2017, 15:06   #35
Gaula92

@earok: Time Gal Amiga works on the Minimig V1.1 board at a perfect speed, but it hangs after the intro, with the "Get Ready!" letters on screen and a black screen other than the letters... Any clues what could be going on?
The expanded Minimig V1.1 has 2MB Chip RAM and 1.5 Slow RAM. It's as far as it can go in terms of memory...
I have read the README, and it seems it needs only 2MB of Chip RAM, which the Minimig V1.1 has.
I have also tried with no startup-sequence at all (that's how my Minimg V1.1 works usually as I feel fine in AmigaDOS instead of WB), so I think I meet the memory requeriments.
Old 14 March 2017, 15:36   #36
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
(and can have distorted graphics and audio if the drive isn't reading perfectly)
I did notice "compression artifaction" happening at times, images going "bleeding green" and stuff.
Old 15 March 2017, 03:31   #37
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaula92 View Post
@earok: Time Gal Amiga works on the Minimig V1.1 board at a perfect speed, but it hangs after the intro, with the "Get Ready!" letters on screen and a black screen other than the letters... Any clues what could be going on?
The expanded Minimig V1.1 has 2MB Chip RAM and 1.5 Slow RAM. It's as far as it can go in terms of memory...
I have read the README, and it seems it needs only 2MB of Chip RAM, which the Minimig V1.1 has.
I have also tried with no startup-sequence at all (that's how my Minimg V1.1 works usually as I feel fine in AmigaDOS instead of WB), so I think I meet the memory requeriments.
Hmm, that's strange.. this is an actual bug that was supposed to be fixed. Will ask Erik.
Old 15 March 2017, 03:35   #38
earok

Attached is a 68000 fix. Bug appeared to be with word alignment (eg you can only read "word" length memory from even numbered addresses on 68000).

I have -not- extensively tested this. Please let me know if there's any issues. If not we'll republish Time Gal with this version.

EDIT: This should also be compatible with Kickstart 1.3 it seems. Please let me know if it doesn't work on KS 1.3 for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip timegal_68000.zip (30.0 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by earok; 15 March 2017 at 05:11.
Old 15 March 2017, 10:27   #39
Gaula92

@earok: This executable version works perfectly on the Minimig!!! Yay!!!
I am enjoying the game A LOT!
I will try to finish it this weekend, so I can confirm it's PERFECT to the end. So far it seems to work with zero problems.

Also, I play the game with Minimig TURBO ON, which means a 50Mhz plain-68000, but with 7Mhz the game plays great, too!!
Old 15 March 2017, 11:49   #40
nujack
Zone Friend

Incredible work guys! Runs smoothly on my CD32.
Any chance to support the FMV-module directly? I know it's rare but I would offer to test it for you. Furthermore I can offer a defect module for free if somebody is able to repair it.