English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 31 July 2017, 03:04   #1
NorthWay

Testers wanted (file attached)

DON'T USE THIS - BROKEN! (Might try fixing.)
I started hacking this 15 years ago (before I was lost to World of Warcrack) and now I have finally completed it.
This is probably one of the grosser hacks around and I know it makes my machine flaky, so don't try unless you are specially interested. Perhaps assemble the code yourself or just peruse it and do a facepalm or two as you shudder at it.

It will fall over mightily if you use some sort of Angel tool.

Oh yes, what it is: It relocates the free memory lists from chipmem to fastmem, hence hopefully making faster allocs of chipmem.
At some point I thought that could be a nice win. After having tested I'm a bit disappointed. I'll probably not use it until I bake it into a version of GuardianAngelRemix.

(As for the flaky part, suddenly the screen just goes grey (i.e. background colour is all you see). I might need that GAR version to see if there are any funky hits happening.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip FasterChipmemAlloc.zip (3.4 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by NorthWay; 01 August 2017 at 08:17. Reason: broken!
Old 31 July 2017, 12:44   #2
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
At some point I thought that could be a nice win. After having tested I'm a bit disappointed. I'll probably not use it until I bake it into a version of GuardianAngelRemix.
Hi NorthWay, the idea is good but, as you have written in source, need to be 'integrated' in Alloc function to be effective.
The SetFunction overlay make all advantages disappear

Cheers,
ross
Old 01 August 2017, 00:40   #3
NorthWay

I have to patch TypeOfMem() too. Perhaps that is the flaky part.

A synthetic test loop showed it being 2-3x faster for chipmem. I didn't test the slowdown for fastmem.

UPDATE: Still buggy. Thinking.
UPDATE2: Major facepalm moment. This is absolutely not working. All FreeMem() calls will add the chipmem back to fastmem! To make it work it has to either split the original fastmem into two regions with the fast-chip part taken out, or you have to take over all the memory functions and integrate it into the core. Can we just have some new hw with faster chipmem plixxors?

Last edited by NorthWay; 01 August 2017 at 08:24. Reason: update2
Old 01 August 2017, 12:59   #4
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
..or you have to take over all the memory functions and integrate it into the core.
This

Bye,
ross
Old 01 August 2017, 17:17   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

As far as I remember, the MemChunk struct is part of the "free" memory block itself, so this can't work without rewriting the whole memory allocation system (and breaking a lot of third party software in the process, I fear).