English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 07 March 2010, 11:51   #1
Kris

Large HD installation problem

Hello all,

I just install Classic WB on my A1200 (tower - 3.1Roms - 1260 Blizzard with SCSi ext - Subway).
When I try to update-patch scsi.device as explained in tutorials (as shown in video using DOPUS), my A1200 failed to reboot (it goes to purple screen with the animated disk).

Any idea to succeed in ?

PS: Sorry if my english is not perfect, I'm a french user

Old 07 March 2010, 12:09   #2
Bloodwych

I'm not an expert on the 1260 with SCSI, so hopefully someone will come along soon, but I'd imagine you need the correct scsi.device for your hardware. Might be some useful info on here:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/dario.manzoni2/1260.html

I think you need the 1260scsi.device. It should have its own software for scsi.device replacement rather than using these free patched replacements. That's why the free ones all have hardware names (like A1200, A600 etc) - they are for particular controllers and is probably incompatible with yours.
Old 07 March 2010, 17:36   #3
Kris

Unfortunately, I tried without the scsi extension and results is the same. (purple screen).
I have made the test with a 030 Cobra card and same results.

I don't do any else than copy the A1200.scsi.device into Devs and rename it as scsi.device.
Is it really the only modification to do ?

Old 07 March 2010, 17:38   #4
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
did you make the drive bootable ?

edit:

just watched the video, nice 1 Bloodwych

when you startup hold both mouse buttons down, can you see your HDD ?
Old 07 March 2010, 19:52   #5
Kris

@cosmicfrog: Yes, it works as I have install Classic WB full version on my A1200....I just have many diffculties to make my HDD accessible with large partitions.
Actually, I succeed to have partition up to 8Go but impossible to have more....

Old 08 March 2010, 04:10   #6
dabone

Think smaller as better.
Keep your partitions under 8gb, just have a few of them.
If you make them larger you run the risk of not being able to check them
for errors.
I've got 1 500mb boot partition, and then 3 7something gb partitions.
When I run out of space I'll partition up the next 7gb segment of my hard drive.

later,
dabone
Old 08 March 2010, 16:32   #7
Bloodwych

Other people have used this replacement, so not sure what may be going wrong.

You need the correct filesystem on the hard drives RDB to go with the the replacement scsi.device - are you using the correct one?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32256

Other options - try idefix on aminet or OS35/9 which natively support large hard drives. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get large hard drive support on your Amiga with the Workbench 3.1 versions.
Old 08 March 2010, 19:21   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thats the vital bit of info missing sorta assumed you were using wb 3.0 or 3.1 are you ?
Old 08 March 2010, 21:21   #9
Kris

I have installed my HD using Install disk 3.1 with SmartFileSystem (with mask 0x53465300).
Then I formatted the HD creating DH0 partition, installed WB 3.1 and IDEfix to be able to use CDRom.
I boot on the Amiga with an emergency disk from OS3.9, delete all file in DH0 and copy system.zip inside.
Reboot with necessary floppy disk for classicWB...I don't have any issues to install Classic WB.

What is strange, it is that I made the same things under WinUAE and it works perfectly....I will try to manipulate file removing the Subway card on the 1200.

EDIT: I have updated scsi.device directly under Winuae and then created the system.zip file. After installation on A1200, it works well but if I made a reset, it doesn"t reboot in WB but with the purple screen.

Last edited by Kris; 09 March 2010 at 11:38.

Old 09 March 2010, 20:46   #10
Bloodwych

Reading what you said above, you didn't install idefix AND then add the scsi.device did you?

If you have installed idefix, you don't need the scsi.device in devs. Idefix handles everything. Those files are only for people who don't use the commercial idefix.
Old 10 March 2010, 06:23   #11
Kris

I did it: IDEfix is installed in DH0.
So that means that it don't need to patch or update scsi.device ?

Old 10 March 2010, 20:39   #12
Bloodwych

Correct - idefix comes with its own scsi.device replacement and supports all large hard drive command sets:

scsi.device V116+ (IDEfix): NSD -> yes, TD64 -> yes, SCSI -> yes

Read the idefix help file. It adds support for your cdrom and fixes the scsi.device for large hard drives.
Old 11 March 2010, 13:44   #13
Kris

I just install IDEfix as I need it to manage my CDRom.
Now my problem is that HDtoolbox didn't recognize my HDD (Samsung 80g - Too much but the only one I have today ).

Is it possible to install the version of HDtoolbox from OS3.9 under CWB full ?

Old 15 March 2010, 13:19   #14
Bloodwych

Sorry Kris, forgot to answer this - yes you can use the OS3.9 version of HDtoolbox in the FULL I'm sure.

However, like mentioned in the 4GB sticky I linked above, the old HDtoolbox works fine if you enter the correct values. It's normal for it to get the numbers wrong on auto detect.

There are also other partitioning tools available in the My Files/LargeHD drawer too that recognise larger drives correctly without entering manual numbers I think. Never tested them myself however.
Old 15 March 2010, 13:42   #15
Kris

Hello Bloodwych,

If I need to re install my HD, then I will try with the right value in HDtoolbox directly .
To install CWBFull correcty for the first time, I have had to install OS3.9 on my HD then I used HDToolbox from 3.9 to detect the correct values. Then I changed the MBR, and partitionned it once again.
I formatted my new partition (200Mo - FFS format) and finally installed CWBFull

A lot of manipulation but it works perfectly with larger partitions ...