English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 March 2024, 00:17   #1
SuperTek

Post PC-Task & WinUAE using Sound Blaster and / or Adlib emulation in MSDOS

Hello everyone

Has anyone managed to emulate the Adlib and/or SoundBlaster sound card using the app PC-Task with one of the expansion sound cards available in the WinUAE emulator?

I'm using PC-Task under WinUAE with these settings:
Workbench 3.1
CPU 68040
RAM: Chip 8Mb Z3-Fast: 32Mb Chipset AGA
Everything works very well but the PC Speaker is the only Audio Resource I can use so I can't play digital music and sound effects in programs and games.
Thank you everyone in advance for your interest!!!

Last edited by SuperTek; 20 March 2024 at 00:30.
Old 20 March 2024, 08:30   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Those expansion cards are for bridgeboard (A2086 etc) ISA slots, they are not visible to Amiga side.

I don't know if PC-Task can support ISA cards in some expansion adapter or something. Technical details needed. If it is even supported.
Old 20 March 2024, 12:33   #3
Nor Bert
Norbert

If You using winuae try DosBox 68k.
He has SB i Adlib emulate
Old 20 March 2024, 15:37   #4
Aardvark

OPL synth works on PC-Task with Golden Gate bridgeboard, but not digital audio because no DMA support.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 March 2024, 21:08   #5
SuperTek

Yes but it works only using a Real Hardware. In This case is an Amiga 2000 with a Golden Gate + Adlib Sound Card.
I'm searching a solution under the emulator WinUAE.
Old 20 March 2024, 21:10   #6
SuperTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Those expansion cards are for bridgeboard (A2086 etc) ISA slots, they are not visible to Amiga side.

I don't know if PC-Task can support ISA cards in some expansion adapter or something. Technical details needed. If it is even supported.
It supports ISA cards but i don't know how to install in WinUAE the correct SoundCard to use or any expansion card available in WinUAE.

Last edited by SuperTek; 23 March 2024 at 12:23.
Old 20 March 2024, 21:12   #7
SuperTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Bert View Post
He has SB i Adlib emulate
I'm using it with a discrete satisfaction but it's not quite fast while PC-Task is quite fast to run games like Doom under WinUAE
Old 21 March 2024, 00:31   #8
stx2199

are you the author of this video?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 March 2024, 01:00   #9
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

it seems PC task support isa cards in bridgeboards, just watch the video I posted

btw,
I couldn't tell you if this video is fake because it sounds so good that it makes me distrust
Old 21 March 2024, 06:10   #10
SuperTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
are you the author of this video?

[ Show youtube player ]
No,
he's using a real Amiga 2000 Computer not WinUAE Emulator.
Old 21 March 2024, 06:11   #11
SuperTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
it seems PC task support isa cards in bridgeboards, just watch the video I posted

btw,
I couldn't tell you if this video is fake because it sounds so good that it makes me distrust
On a real amiga i know it works good but on the WinUAE emulator for Windows i don't know how to use an emulated Sound Card. That's my problem.
Old 21 March 2024, 11:53   #12
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTek View Post
On a real amiga i know it works.

how you can be sure it works? , I have a printed manual of PC task and a guide and nothing says about the use of isa cards for the sound
Old 21 March 2024, 12:32   #13
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTek View Post
but on the WinUAE emulator for Windows i don't know how to use an emulated Sound Card. That's my problem.
plz note winuae support the emulation of some bridgeboards but it doesn't support yet the use of isa cards for them, this must be implemented in winuae before ,anyways you have seen that Toni asked about technical details of how it works

but I don't know from where we could get technical details if not even on the PC task manual refers about it
Old 21 March 2024, 15:45   #14
ShK

Video is mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC-Task.doc

GOLDENGATE

The GoldenGate II bridgecard lets you lets you use AT-compatible IBM plug-in cards in your Amiga PC slots as Amiga devices, controlled by Amiga software. The GoldenGate I & II expansion boards are by David Salamon. PC-Task will if a port is unknown try to use the GoldGate port.

NOGOLDENGATE=ON

Use this to ignore a GoldenGate I or II board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG2 Bus+.guide

PC Emulator Support

The GG2 Bus+ board is compatible with the software emulators CrossPC and PCTask. CrossPC (written by Mark Tomlinson is packaged with CrossDOS 5 and is available from Consultron or from most Amiga distributors. Utilities Unlimited has expressed an intent to support the GG2 Bus+ under the Emplant/PC product.

Chris Hames is available from Quasar Distribution outside of the U.S.A. and from DevWare within the USA.

Both CrossPC and PCTask map all PC software calls to I/O locations through the GG2 Bus+ card. This means you can run your PC software under either emulator just as though you had a bridgeboard, and you can control your plug-in cards using the software originally supplied.

At the present time, neither CrossPC nor PCTask implement the full capability of the GG2 Bus+ card. Neither emulator supports accesses to PC memory space registers through the GG2 Bus+ , and interrupt support is somewhat limited. At present, the only interrupt support under either emulator is through the GG2 Bus+ serial and parallel drivers, "ibmser.device" and "ibmprint.device". By designating these as your port drivers, you can access PC IO cards or internal modems you have plugged in while within the emulator.

Note that once you designate the GG2 Bus+ drivers to be used under an emulator, you cannot use those drivers at the same time (multitask) with other Amiga software. The emulator will lock the devices for its own use.
PC-Task is a nice software. It allow also to change bios and gfx roms: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102228
Attached Files
File Type: 7z GG2 Bus+.7z (21.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: 7z PC-Task.7z (14.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by ShK; 21 March 2024 at 16:02.
Old 21 March 2024, 16:14   #15
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Video is mine.
Do you know whether PC-Task is able to use MT32 midi connected to serial port?
Old 21 March 2024, 16:20   #16
ShK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Do you know whether PC-Task is able to use MT32 midi connected to serial port?
Yes it can.

With WinUAE:
[ Show youtube player ]

With Amiga:
[ Show youtube player ]

With WHDLoad:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ShK; 21 March 2024 at 16:27.
Old 21 March 2024, 16:23   #17
amigoun

I have PC-Task running with MT32 over serial nicely. But you need to use modified game sound drivers that communicate midi over serial.
There was a smart guy that modified some of the game drivers for his own specific PC and put them publicly. I discovered it works well on PC-Task too (I played DuneII extended and Lands of Lore with nice MT32 sound then).
Old 21 March 2024, 16:34   #18
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
I have PC-Task running with MT32 over serial nicely. But you need to use modified game sound drivers that communicate midi over serial.
There was a smart guy that modified some of the game drivers for his own specific PC and put them publicly. I discovered it works well on PC-Task too (I played DuneII extended and Lands of Lore with nice MT32 sound then).
can you upload such modified drivers? thx
Old 21 March 2024, 17:53   #19
Aardvark

Having no luck getting MT32 in PC-Task working on my A1200+FTDI serial-USB cable+hairless midi+Munt combo.

Softmpu detects serial interface using line "SOFTMPU.EXE /OUTPUT:COM1 /MPU:330", but it's just not in sync. Hairless midi debug window shows lot of errors.

Windows FTDI driver is modified to 31250 bps, and any Amiga software and Sierra games plays MT32 MIDI correctly.

Old 21 March 2024, 21:10   #20
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Bert View Post
What would be the point? If you can run WinUAE, you can run DosBox natively. There's no point in running emulation inside emulation, unless the emulator does not exist for the host os.