English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 06 August 2001, 13:40   #1
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Hero quest save

I love the game Hero Quest (the amiga version of the board game, that is, not to be confused with Heroes Quest) but I have one small problem on Win UAE

When you complete a quest, you are asked to insert a save disk. I thought that this was a blank disk you can create in the floppies section of Win UAE. But when I create one, label it a name (such as Hero Save, or something), the game tells me that that is not a proper save disk.

Do you have to download an actual Hero Quest save disk from somewhere? Or do you have to label the blank disk with a specific name? Or do you leave it unnamed, if possible?

If I can ask a second similar question, I am also having trouble with a game called Black Crypt. At the start of the game, it also asks for a save disk, which is provided from PE2000. When I insert the save disk, it loads abit, then hangs. Any help there?

Please forgive me for my questions, but if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. I simply love Dungeouns and Dragons games!

PS Both games were downloaded from PE 2000.
Old 06 August 2001, 13:45   #2
Amigaboy

You probably need the disk to be formatted

Even though you can create an ADF using WinUAE, it's not a formatted ADF. This means nothing can save to it yet

http://amiga.supergamez.hu/Util/empty.zip

Try that

Old 06 August 2001, 13:48   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

Try this

Black Cyrpt save disk from BttR, also try using different config's to see if the save disk will work, for example, if it hangs with kickstart 1.3, try 2.0 and so on.

According to BttR again, Hero Quest uses a special format that isn't supported by any emulator, however if there is a WHDLoad/JST version you'll probably be able to save with them.

The Black Cyrpt save disk is in the ADF Zone.
Old 06 August 2001, 17:19   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

>According to BttR again, Hero Quest uses a special format that >isn't supported by any emulator, however if there is a

This is old information. UAE 0.8.13+ and WinUAE 0.8.14+ already support most custom formats for save disks. Create "custom"-adf (in WinUAE's floppy tab, I don't know if UAE has utility for creating "custom" images) and use it as a save disk.

"most" because not all floppy controller bits are yet emulated (4us timing and GCR). Contact me if you know game that still won't save correctly.
Old 08 August 2001, 05:36   #5
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Hey- thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it

IanCharge, thanks for the disk, but it was the same one I got from PE2000. Howver, your advice about using a different Kickstart version worked! Thanks a bundle!!!

Being a fan of those type of RPGs, I was dying to play Black Crypt, which I never got my hands on before. Its a pity that the Eye of the Beholder games don't seem to work on WIN UAE.

Amigaboy, Toni- I haven't forgotton about your tips either. I just haven't got around to playing Hero Quest, as I am currently buried under tons of homework. i'll report back as soon as I can.

Toni, I use an older version of Win UAE (8.8 something) becasue I have found it more stable than later releases. Is this a problem? Malc reccomended I use this older version in another thread in this section called "Lots of games don't work."
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=529
What do you think?

Again, thanks for the invaluable advice. Now I'm going to don my armour and polish my shield for an old fashioned dungeon romp in Black Crypt.

Last edited by Muzkat; 08 August 2001 at 05:42.
Old 08 August 2001, 09:26   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Toni, I use an older version of Win UAE (8.8 something) becasue I have found it more stable than later releases. Is this a problem?
Version 0.8.14 was first WinUAE with new disk code. But I think it is best to wait for WinUAE 0.8.17 because 0.8.17 has many important improvements. (better aga support, improved disk handling and state saving for example)