English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 September 2017, 01:35   #41
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Have you done any changes since the version I have, mate? Should I update the software on the prototype board?
I think the version you have is the latest one, but I couldn't swear to it now. I know I changed the button mapping after your initial feedback, but I think I sent you an updated version with that change?
Old 06 September 2017, 02:08   #42
Amiga1992

Yeah we went back and forth with changes, now I don't remember if I ever managed to flash it, I think I did! I will have to check again.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:17   #43
Higgy

I got one built and just about fitted it into the smallest case I could find!

Thanks to robinsonb5 for the help in answering some questions.

Old 23 May 2018, 11:46   #44
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I got one built and just about fitted it into the smallest case I could find!
That's looking very tidy - nice work!
Old 23 May 2018, 13:09   #45
Higgy

It was a tight squeeze! The file had to be brought out

Question - (sorry if I am not explaining this correctly) does the PSOC produce 3.3v signals on the AMIGA side? As I would like to know if I can plug it into my FleaOhm FPGA running MiniMig. The Flea creator told me I can't use an AMIGA mouse because it uses 5v signals and the Flea is only 3.3v tolerant.
I assume the chip in the Sega pad produces 5v signals.
Thanks
Old 23 May 2018, 16:35   #46
Valken

Really good work... Wondering if there is a USB adapter for these controllers? Would be fantastic on the PC and WinUAE.

I'm still on my PS2 to USB controllers for the PC.
Old 23 May 2018, 19:33   #47
Sephnroth

This looks the bomb diggy. I might have to build one.
Old 23 May 2018, 19:46   #48
Amiga1992

It is a great project indeed, I'm really happy with my adapter! Hopefully more people get into this train because Sega 6B pads are the best things in the world. The official ones, though, don't bother with anything else.
Old 24 May 2018, 00:41   #49
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Question - (sorry if I am not explaining this correctly) does the PSOC produce 3.3v signals on the AMIGA side? As I would like to know if I can plug it into my FleaOhm FPGA running MiniMig. The Flea creator told me I can't use an AMIGA mouse because it uses 5v signals and the Flea is only 3.3v tolerant.

I will have to double-check by loading the project in PSOC creator and checking the pin settings, but I *think* the outputs are all set so that the pin is left high-impedance for the high state, and not driven to either 3v3 or 5v. If so, then it'll be fine. I'll double-check.

EDIT: It turns out I was thinking of the older PIC-based version of the adapter, which never worked very well. The PSOC version currently has "resistive pullups" enabled on all pins - except pin 9 which is set to "strong drive". Which means that all pins will present 5v in the high state - so you can't currently connect it to the Flea.
Setting all pins to "Open Drain, drives low" will prevent that from happening, but I suspect Pin 9 will no longer switch quickly enough to transmit the CD32 button states if you do that.

If I can dig out (since my move a couple of years ago) my Sega pads and remaining adapter I will try it out when I get a chance - but if you want to try it yourself, look at the TopDesign schematic view, double-click each group of pins surrounding the CD32Shifter and set the pin mode on the General tab.

Also note, as far as I know (I'd love to be proved wrong here!) the Flea Minimig core currently only has pin mappings for two of the three fire button lines, and (probably) only supports input mode on those two pins - so the core will need some extra work to support CD32 pads.

Last edited by robinsonb5; 24 May 2018 at 01:09.
Old 31 October 2019, 11:21   #50
gjb1985

does a megadrive controller work without modding it? Either the regular one, of the 6 button one? It doesn't frie or break any ports?
Old 31 October 2019, 12:20   #51
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb1985 View Post
does a megadrive controller work without modding it? Either the regular one, of the 6 button one? It doesn't frie or break any ports?
It works, but with just 1 button (B). For games using a 2nd button, (C) sometimes will work, sometimes it won't ,depends on how the game was programmed.

Some people will say there's some risk on using it, some people will say its safe, people have been using Mega-Drive pads on Amiga for decades now and there was never a report of it frying anything.
Old 31 October 2019, 12:24   #52
Gordon
Settler

It does use a different pin to draw power from than a normal one button controller but it is fine. Some Amiga designed peripherals user it too. If you have a cd32 I would recommend getting an adapter so you can use all the buttons on a 6 button MD pad.
Old 31 October 2019, 12:44   #53
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb1985 View Post
There's definitely a problem using them with a C64, but they shouldn't pose any risk to an Amiga.
Old 31 October 2019, 15:12   #54
Daedalus

The only risk to the Amiga is if the game continuously tries to read it as a CD32 pad, which can lead to contention situations where the logic in the controller fights the logic in the Amiga. The vast majority of the time it's perfectly safe. However, as said, it draws power from one of Paula's ADC pins rather than the Amiga's 5V supply, which isn't the right way to go about things. It also means that the pin needs to be in the correct state for the pad to work - some Kickstart & game combinations don't do this, meaning the pad won't work. A simple adaptor can get around this though by powering the pad correctly and locking it in 2-button mode, and adding a few diodes to the adaptor will also make it safe for use on a C64.
Old 31 October 2019, 23:58   #55
idrougge

How does one lock it in 2-button mode?
Old 01 November 2019, 09:39   #56
lord of time
Banned

I dont know if this is of any help to anyone but Amstrad CPC PLUS controllers work a treat with a simple wire swap!
Old 01 November 2019, 09:46   #57
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
How does one lock it in 2-button mode?
When pin 7 is high, the MD pad configuration will coincide with the 2-button Amiga operation setup. That's why it mostly works on the Amiga, since pin 7 is the 5V power line. What I do though is connect pins 7 & 5 of the MD pad with a 1K resistor, and connect pin 5 of the MD pad to pin 7 of the Amiga. This ensures it has the correct power supply and also remains in 2-button mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of time View Post
I dont know if this is of any help to anyone but Amstrad CPC PLUS controllers work a treat with a simple wire swap!
And Sega Mastersystem controllers work as a 2-button controller without any modification.
Old 01 November 2019, 14:34   #58
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

You can build your own 2 button controller very easily. There's no circuit, you just need to wire buttons and directions to the DB9 connector.
Old 20 December 2021, 18:11   #59
Jami
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
When pin 7 is high, the MD pad configuration will coincide with the 2-button Amiga operation setup. That's why it mostly works on the Amiga, since pin 7 is the 5V power line. What I do though is connect pins 7 & 5 of the MD pad with a 1K resistor, and connect pin 5 of the MD pad to pin 7 of the Amiga. This ensures it has the correct power supply and also remains in 2-button mode.
@Daedalus : I'd like to mod my megadrive controller following your advice (6 buttons pad -- the blue one licensed by Retro-bit). I have been using it on my Amiga 500.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retro bit ouvert face.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	74149

I am wondering what kind of 1 KOhm resistor to buy.

What power for this resistance? 3W, 1W, 1/4W... ?
And what precision? 10%, 5% or less ?
Old 27 December 2021, 21:57   #60
Daedalus

Neither the power not the precision are critical - even the value isn't that critical. 0.25W, 5% is fairly common and will do just fine.