English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 January 2008, 11:07   #1
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

When i Enable Vsync, audio is not synchronized

Hi all,

i read a lot of topics with similar issues. I would like to explain my issue.

Winuae 1.4 stable version
Filter : Direct3d , bilinear 16bit
Fullscreen + Vsync (to get the scrolling smooth without tearing)
Soundbuffer : 4
LCD Samsung 930bf : 60hz (the only one option available, i think that i can't set 50hz with this LCD... i will try with powerstrip, i don't want to damage my LCD monitor)

With this configuration , the sounds is played just a bit later than video.

I think that the problem is related to the reresh rate, as enabling Vsync it is forced to 60hz, the audio and video runs with different speed (correct me if i'm wrong)

Firstly i would like to know if it's an expected behaviour and not a real issue.

Second i would like to receive feedback about this strange "workaround" i implemented. I set the audio buffer to "1" or "2" and it seems that now the audio and video are full synched. I think that reducing the sound buffer i could encounter some problems during the moments of major cpu workload.... It's already happened during a Session of Ruff'n'Tumble.

So if you reached this point , i'd like to hear from you

Any chance to solve this issue? Should i come back to my previous CRT?
Old 07 January 2008, 12:19   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Smaller the sound buffer, smaller the delay but sound problems can happen more regularly (too many variables, host cpu speed, windows version, sound card, sound card driver etc..)

VSync makes syncing more difficult. "Bonus" feature is 100% CPU usage because most/all display drivers busy loop while waiting for vsync..

Vsync on: sound is synced to video. Requires very exact sound timing (or bigger buffer)

Vsync off: sound and video is synced to 'clock'. "Sync" is quite relaxed, nobody notices if framerate isn't exactly 50fps, everyone notices if sound pops or breaks.

(Sync means "external" video/sound sync. Emulated program don't see any difference.)
Old 07 January 2008, 13:12   #3
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Smaller the sound buffer, smaller the delay but sound problems can happen more regularly (too many variables, host cpu speed, windows version, sound card, sound card driver etc..)

VSync makes syncing more difficult. "Bonus" feature is 100% CPU usage because most/all display drivers busy loop while waiting for vsync..

Vsync on: sound is synced to video. Requires very exact sound timing (or bigger buffer)

Vsync off: sound and video is synced to 'clock'. "Sync" is quite relaxed, nobody notices if framerate isn't exactly 50fps, everyone notices if sound pops or breaks.

(Sync means "external" video/sound sync. Emulated program don't see any difference.)
Ok thanks, but how can i avoid the tearing issues with scrolling games? Vsync helps to do this.
I have a p4 2.8 ghz. Maybe Winuae requires much more power in order to get audio and video synched with Vsync enabled?

Thanks!

Last edited by cybermat; 07 January 2008 at 14:21.
Old 07 January 2008, 20:26   #4
cybermat
GoalScoringSuperstarHero

I think to have "solved", i put 2 as sound buffer and the sound is synchronized even if i put the Vsync, Direct3d with bilinear filter.

I noticed that if i put WITHOUT vsync enabled, the sound buffer to 7 i have a delay of audio than the video.

Maybe i have some problems with my PC configuration.

Thanks.
Old 07 January 2008, 21:29   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

VSync seems to be very PC specific.Very difficult to help when everyone seems to have slightly different VSync problems
Old 07 January 2008, 22:10   #6
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
VSync seems to be very PC specific.Very difficult to help when everyone seems to have slightly different VSync problems
hehe I am still trying but so far I still haven t seen any good Vsync on windows