English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 October 2006, 18:19   #21
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cade
A 4G CF card is already more than $100 just by itself, so how on earth would you hit $70 retail?

Also, the whole idea is ridiculous, because these games don't mean a thing to anyone born after 1975-1980 except a very few. I love this old stuff, too, but the technology was surpassed by the SNES in 1991.

[flame suit on and ducking]
ok you're right about the retail cf card price...but it's mainly a matter of marketing, in terms of real producing price, i would expect something around 10$....
Old 15 October 2006, 20:16   #22
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

For the future: AROS...
For the past/present: Amithlon...

Either way both will run on the cheap x86 hardware I already have.
If I want chipset compatibility both will run UAE...

@Zetr0: Another convert

-If anyone on this board can get hold of a copy of Amithlon: Do so, you won't be disappointed-
Old 15 October 2006, 23:42   #23
spiff
Oh noes!

It would really be a PS3, weird hardware, price around $500 and support for the latest TV standard. It even comes with harddrive optional, just like my old A500
Old 17 October 2006, 22:51   #24
heroicnonsense

As a Mac user I wouldn't buy a new Amiga if it came out; I'm perfectly happy with my current platform of choice.

I agree that they should just drop the idea of a new, "powerful" Amiga completely. The "new" Amigas that we've seen are based on old technology, yet sold at a premium price.Only enthousiasts would buy one (or not, if this thread is indicative).

However, if I was CEO of Amiga inc, I'd release an ultra-cheap (let's say sub $100) computer that hooks up to a TV or a cheap TFT-panel, based around the A1200 with a small harddrive and (maybe/maybe not even) a CD-ROM player. I'd make sure it runs an up-to-date browser (something like mozilla perhaps) and sell it as a cheap internet terminal to schools, libraries and people that do not demand a lot from their computer. Add some memorycard reading abilities for pics from digicams, USB for printers and input, instant messaging (Yahoo/AIM compatible) for grandma and her grandchildren and I've got yourself a winner (IMHO). I'd sell it through QVC or TellSell.

If it allows the current community to get their hands on hardware that has been out of production for a while...well that would be just a bonus.
Old 17 October 2006, 23:13   #25
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

For the future (i know i'm a psychopat dreamer ) :
I really want that Eyetech raises from the death an make a CD32 extension board like the SX32 with a PPC on it and that we can add 512MB memory on it.
And why not, a dvd reader specially adapted for the CD32, to have a great compilation of ALL the amiga games on a DVD......and run the latest amiga demos
So the CD32 will be able to run OS4 and will be the most portable game machine of the world......
(And a more powerfull PSU indeed )
Why not??????
Old 18 October 2006, 01:13   #26
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have to admit i would love to see a CD32 -esq system with DVDrw a coldfire cpu (about 300mhz 16mb graphics (Radeon 9800 series cpubase) ) about 128mb ram make it nice and wireless add bluetooth and usb connectivity as well as ps2 for legacy mousy keyboard....

add a legacy chip (think of it like the current FPGA project from individule computers) for all your retro needs.

.... hmmmmm

anyone got spare plastics for a CD32 ? I have an idea...
Old 18 October 2006, 08:17   #27
blade002
Zone Friend

Actually what i would really really really want is a Head Job !!.. LOL ..

Women need only apply
Old 19 October 2006, 12:13   #28
JonSick

Well I've been thinking about this, and I reckon this would sell hotcakes - NOW!

What we need is an amiga machine. Small ish form factor- about the size of your cable box.

A slot loaded CD drive at the front, support for use on both SCART or Composite televisions and an in-built DVI connector for use with a standard PC monitor. 6 USB sockets: 4 at the front and two at the back, two controller ports at front and at the side, an expansion port for the possible addition of either a floppy drive or other. Built in 80Gb hard disk, ethernet port at the rear, decent video and sound card.

The whole idea being that the unit is basically a games console to rival that of the likes of XBox, Nintendo, etc. The controllers will be proprietry, and the front-mounted USB sockets can be used with memory sticks for savegames, etc.

The expansion port can take floppy disks which will run old-school amiga software, possibly emulated.

But, here's the crux. Full support for the whole range of USB keyboards, mice. So effectively, you could do your homework on it, browse the net and etc.

Here's another crux: Make it £559, inclusive of keyboard and mouse, top word processor and three decent games. Then, make all games £15.99. Cheap games would be offset due to the price of the system! That way kids can afford the games and software houses will sell more!

Good idea? Or fevered pipe-dream of a madman?
Old 19 October 2006, 12:18   #29
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I would certainly buy an Amiga if it was built as a laptop. A standard A1200, with at least 10MBs of RAM and 1GHz of hard disk which I could take with me everywhere.
Old 19 October 2006, 13:38   #30
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
For the future: AROS...
For the past/present: Amithlon...

Either way both will run on the cheap x86 hardware I already have.
If I want chipset compatibility both will run UAE...

@Zetr0: Another convert

-If anyone on this board can get hold of a copy of Amithlon: Do so, you won't be disappointed-
I think what puts me off Amithlon is the hardware compatibility or lack thereof a list that is current. I mean who has some of the old chipsets that the pages tell you do work?

What about support for latest VGA cards? I'd like my GF7600 supported, hell even the GF6150 built in to the mobo would be nice....
Old 19 October 2006, 14:44   #31
girv
Mostly Harmless

I'd take a modernised A1200-compatible, kind of like the BoXeR was to be. I've no interest in "new" "Amiga" machines; retro is where Amiga is at for me.

- full 68060, fastest available, possibly factory overclocked
- "AGA+" chipset reimplemented (in FPGA I guess): fully AGA compatible; "chunky" graphics modes added; extend chipram size (or change to unified memory architecture?); VGA compatible output; S-Video output
- SDRAM (or DDR?)
- PCI slots; AGP slot ?
- USB ports
- USB keyboard / mouse / joypad inputs translated to old-style Amiga mode (ie: no drivers or other software required)
- IDE (or SATA?)
- PC floppy drive support

That would do for starters Of course, I have no idea how hard or expensive any of it would be

Slight aside: how hard would it be to make a 68k compatible processor in a FPGA? What would the performance be ? Just curious
Old 19 October 2006, 21:14   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Not interested in any new 'Amigas' because, well they wouldn't be an Amiga, only a brand name now that as no relevance.

I use A500 and A1200 because I want to not because I have to. I have a moderately ok PC, and am not interested in constantly updating it.

I have a Playstation 2 that I play on, I wait until the games are dirt cheap before I buy them, I'm not interested in my gaming being an expensive experience!!

I don't like PC's period, and the problems I have with this one, well, the whole time I was on online on my Amiga, I never had the problems I do now with this PC.

The whole electronic gaming scene has changed in such a way that an Amiga computer could never succeed today relying on legacy hardware. The Amigas of the 80's and 90's were good for a long time because nothing came close to beating them for a long time. But that legacy hardware was the begining of the end for the Amiga.

Put it this way, Apple struggle to have any market share against PC's. Microsoft grudgingly do some software for Apple. For the Amiga to be accepted today, it would have to run Microsoft products, thats just a business fact.

For the Amiga to succeed, it would have to turn into the PC, which rather negates the whole point of its 'rebirth'.

There was a time and a place for the Amiga, and its long gone, along with the other machines of the era (Atari ST, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, FM Towns, PC Engine, Neo Geo, etc)

I use the Amiga because I still enjoy using it.

I don't enjoy using a PC.
Old 20 October 2006, 06:03   #33
Olecranon

Off the cuff question.. Could Amiga Inc make AGA chips even if they wanted to? Do they possess the information to make new AGA chips?

Now back to the original question.. I'd like to see an Amiga OS released for the PS3 with a keyboard/mouse, and have built in emulation for OCS/AGA software.
Old 20 October 2006, 19:51   #34
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I think you could be onto something there Olecranon,

A viable combo product AmigaOS(with limmited or *full emu for legacy) combined with a Mouse, Keyboard and Joystick (all splashed with amiga logos)

it would be nice to see it available for the (PC's) PS(s)2, PSP, XBOX(s), Nintendo's

Imma thinking it could be a hit!!!! hell i would buy prolly a couple if not more!
Old 24 October 2006, 21:00   #35
MrA600HD
In rust, we trust.

a 600HD with more memory and a faster processor, oh, and a bigger hard drive would be nice too...
Old 24 October 2006, 23:27   #36
keropi

or an os that provides only cpu emulation, and the aga/sound chips are present on a pci card or onboard...
Old 25 October 2006, 09:16   #37
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I have to agree with you Galahad. I too, have a PS2 and also wait until games are cheap as chips. I don't play games as much as I'd like to these days with so many other projects on the go.

I also do agree that the release of a new stand alone Amiga would have to be something special to get itself back into the top slot again. Something that would be extremely difficult and costly to do. Anything that was ever likely to be released would still effectively be an Amiga with PC architecture in order to compete in todays market.

Strange thing is though.... contradiciting myself here...I'd still probably buy any new Amga as I'm a true Amiga fan like all you guys!
Old 25 October 2006, 17:18   #38
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
It would really be a PS3, weird hardware, price around $500 and support for the latest TV standard. It even comes with harddrive optional, just like my old A500
Harddrive isn't optional - it's in from the start. "Cheap" version has 20gig (like the X360) and the pro-edition is 60gig. Which means the gamedevelopers can take advantage of having a harddrive, unlike on the Xbox 360, where they have to cover both hd owners and non-hd owners. This will lead to potentially better optimized PS3 games.

Same as with HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. The Xbox 360 has a HD-DVD optional if you want to play movies - but can't be used for games. Developers can't use the HD-DVD format, 'cause that would not only limit the potential sales, but also enrage the people who doesn't want to buy an expensive add-on to play the games. Also, it would take up even more space than the X360 already does.

The Blu-Ray however, will be used whenever needed, for games as well as movies. So the PS3 can run games larger than 10 gigabyte on one disc.

I have no idea why I wrote this. I only wanted to mention that the PS3 harddrive isn't optional, but essential and will be included in every PS3 you buy.
Old 25 October 2006, 21:06   #39
mrbob2

Wantin a new amiga relaeased is like wantin a new vauxhall nova, its just old technology. My pc can emulate an amiga perfectly so why bother?
Old 26 October 2006, 15:17   #40
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2
Wantin a new amiga relaeased is like wantin a new vauxhall nova, its just old technology. My pc can emulate an amiga perfectly so why bother?
even if job done is great, it's not that perfect and may never be..discussed in a lot of other threads : sound emulation lags, still some compatibility issues, gfx rendering in full screen..you can't beat the real thing!