Autistic 'n IRN!

and featured

Great game btw, I remember the other releases
Old 03 June 2015, 15:05   #22
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
What's up with the (Danish?) poem in the boot block?
Celina Ree - Savner Dig Sindsygt.

There was some unused space in the boot block and I like danish music.
Old 06 June 2015, 05:17   #23
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Celina Ree - Savner Dig Sindsygt.

There was some unused space in the boot block and I like danish music.
OK, I'll teach VirusZ to accept Danish lyrics.
Old 07 June 2015, 11:21   #24
trydowave

This is a great great game. Frustrating to the point where you want to pull your hair out but sooo addictive! Love it.

im a bit confused about the different versions. I had part 2. This is V1.3 of the first part. Whats the remake version? Ive seen this longlplay on youtube:
[ Show youtube player ]

It feautres parallax scrolling (trees) my version does not?
Old 07 June 2015, 11:30   #25
phx
Natteravn

The version from the video with the tree in the background is the previous version V1.2, which doesn't have smooth scrolling.

The tree and the moon in the background are sprites. The reason they are missing in V1.3 is that I needed all the sprites for the Sqrxz logo in the foreground. Otherwise 50 fps scrolling in the intro would have been impossible with a 7 MHz OCS machine.

I could have added a parallax layer out of sprites during the game again, but then I decided to better spend the time on future projects.
Old 07 June 2015, 17:16   #26
TheBilgeRat

Quote:
The version from the video with the tree in the background is the previous version V1.2, which doesn't have smooth scrolling.

The tree and the moon in the background are sprites. The reason they are missing in V1.3 is that I needed all the sprites for the Sqrxz logo in the foreground. Otherwise 50 fps scrolling in the intro would have been impossible with a 7 MHz OCS machine.

I could have added a parallax layer out of sprites during the game again, but then I decided to better spend the time on future projects.

That's funny. I had been wondering what happened to the moon, but then I got distracted trying to hop from bat to bat
Old 09 June 2015, 06:47   #27
TheBilgeRat

Crashes when saving high score table

Anyone else having problems with the save table not working?

A4000 running off real floppy. Finally beat it today!
Old 09 June 2015, 15:58   #28
phx
Natteravn

What doesn't work with the highscore table? Is it reset to initial values after restarting the game from disk? This happens when the old highscore table is unreadable or has been manipulated.

The highscores are stored on the disk's second track. They are written by formatting the whole track, so any previous corruptions don't make the table unusable.

Any problems with your drive or disk?
Old 09 June 2015, 17:04   #29
oissery77

thanks a lot phx!!
Old 09 June 2015, 18:17   #30
TheBilgeRat

Quote:
What doesn't work with the highscore table? Is it reset to initial values after restarting the game from disk? This happens when the old highscore table is unreadable or has been manipulated.

The highscores are stored on the disk's second track. They are written by formatting the whole track, so any previous corruptions don't make the table unusable.

Any problems with your drive or disk?
I'm at work, but when I get home I can take a picture of what it does. Basically the black background goes to green and black bars and hangs there until I reset the machine. There certainly could be a problem with my drive or floppy, but the game plays great and loads fine otherwise. I had written the adf to a new DSHD disk, then wrote it to an older DSDD disk I had that wasn't garbage. Both disks did the same thing.
Old 10 June 2015, 03:48   #31
TheBilgeRat

Alright phx - here's the screenshot of what's going down. Tried setting disable cpu caches and OCS, still no dice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sqrxz.png
Views:	216
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	44431  
Old 10 June 2015, 11:12   #32
phx
Natteravn

That's quite fascinating. The game is hanging during "Writing Table", but I know that there is no error handling during the writing procedure. After writing the table it should immediately ask for "Continue?".

Also I have no explanation for the green background color. I remember that I entered a highscore on my Minimig a few days ago and now I tested it with UAE and had no problem either.

Will test it on my A4000 this evening. What are the specs of your 4000? 030, 040, 060? Any special hardware? HD floppy drive?

Would be interesting to hear about the experience with the highscore table from other players...
Old 10 June 2015, 15:57   #33
TheBilgeRat

Just an A4000 with 3640. I'm wondering if I have a bad circuit or something. Does same with external drive as well
Old 11 June 2015, 13:39   #34
phx
Natteravn

Couldn't reproduce it with my CSPPC/060 A4000. Never had a problem with writing high scores. Unfortunately I have sold my A3640.

Is your Amiga jumpered to NTSC? The game switches the display to PAL, but I'm currently unsure if the jumper would still have any influence on the CIA timers...

Is the disk write-protected?
Old 11 June 2015, 18:50   #35
TheBilgeRat

Quote:
Couldn't reproduce it with my CSPPC/060 A4000. Never had a problem with writing high scores. Unfortunately I have sold my A3640.

Is your Amiga jumpered to NTSC? The game switches the display to PAL, but I'm currently unsure if the jumper would still have any influence on the CIA timers...

Is the disk write-protected?
heh! Its not write protected

I have the machine jumpered to PAL. I have to wonder if its something in my floppy setup or a problem with the motherboard itself, as it does it with an A1010 external as well. Ah well, no biggie! I should just try my hand at making a whdload slave for it
Old 13 June 2015, 18:39   #36
phx
Natteravn

A green ($0f0) background is shown when the game caused an exception or ran into an unhandled interrupt vector. Although the usual panic-colors should be a pattern from full intensity ($0f0) to black ($000), but perhaps the panic routine also crashed.

If you are still interested in debugging the problem, write me an email (frank at phoenix owl de) and I can send you an image with full debugging enabled (there is also an in-game debugging monitor program).
Old 13 June 2015, 18:45   #37
TheBilgeRat

Quote:
A green ($0f0) background is shown when the game caused an exception or ran into an unhandled interrupt vector. Although the usual panic-colors should be a pattern from full intensity ($0f0) to black ($000), but perhaps the panic routine also crashed.

If you are still interested in debugging the problem, write me an email (frank at phoenix owl de) and I can send you an image with full debugging enabled (there is also an in-game debugging monitor program).
Its hard to tell from the picture, but its bars of black and green. I wouldn't mind debugging it. I'll send an email out.
Old 14 June 2015, 03:20   #38
TheBilgeRat

Alright, so the debug version runs fine - saves the high scores table just fine. I'm at a loss! I think I'll try burning another floppy and see if it does ok.