English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 22 May 2013, 21:24   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
but there is a problem....this is a bad pack
inside there is a zip file, and once extracted all the files lost all attributes
Did you unpack the zip file with MacZip or other dearchiving tool for Mac?
Old 22 May 2013, 22:34   #22
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Did you unpack the zip file with MacZip or other dearchiving tool for Mac?
yep I did it with maczip 1.06 and also I tried unzipping on windows
idem results
Seems the list of files is complete but the files extracted are not ok...bad names and it seems they lost all attributes due the bad zip pack

you can sense how files should be watching the files inside the demo uploaded by emufan
I renamed them but it doesn't work..they lost all the attributes
Old 22 May 2013, 23:15   #23
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Seems the list of files is complete but the files extracted are not ok...bad names and it seems they lost all attributes due the bad zip pack

you can sense how files should be watching the files inside the demo uploaded by emufan
I renamed them but it doesn't work..they lost all the attributes
Okay, I've grabbed the demo version from the Zone and I'll check the Abandonware version you provided the link for.

I'm downloading the Mac CD version (229,100 Ko) now...
Old 23 May 2013, 00:28   #24
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Okay, I've grabbed the demo version from the Zone and I'll check the Abandonware version you provided the link for.

I'm downloading the Mac CD version (229,100 Ko) now...
ok thanks master
I hope you can solve this
Old 23 May 2013, 00:34   #25
emufan

good news
maybe the win version can help to resurect missing parts from the mac version. just an idea now, not yet tested.
Old 23 May 2013, 00:40   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
maybe the win version can help to resurect missing parts from the mac version. just an idea now, not yet tested.
That's perfectly possible of course. Level data are likely to be identical.
Old 23 May 2013, 00:53   #27
emufan

hmm. i downloaded "jeu-00545-alone_in_the_dark_3-mac.zip" extracted it, inside another zip: "Alone In The Dark 3.zip" extracted this too, and i got not a single error. using winrar 4.20 to extract them.

edit: *arg* extracting and testing is different, sorry. but error comes from different naming behavior of macos filesystem. not really error due to corrupted data.
Code:
Alone In The Dark 3.zip: Attempting to correct the invalid file name
Alone In The Dark 3.zip: Renaming Alone In The Dark 3\Video\Icon to Alone In The Dark 3\Video\Icon_
Alone In The Dark 3.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Alone In The Dark 3\Video\._Icon
so i would try to extract on a real/emulated macintosh with hfs(+) filesystem.

Last edited by emufan; 23 May 2013 at 01:01.
Old 23 May 2013, 01:04   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
...so i would try to extract on a real/emulated macintosh with hfs(+) filesystem.
That's what I intend to try tomorriow if I can find the time.
Old 23 May 2013, 01:05   #29
emufan

Quote:
That's what I intend to try tomorriow if I can find the time.
ok. good luck
Old 23 May 2013, 01:32   #30
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
good news
the windows version files are totally different,are useless to fix this bad packed mac version
the only way to solve this I think is renaming the files extracted of that zip file,then change the attributes of those files using a mac program

btw, the executable of the demo also would works, just I put alone in the dark 3 demo inside the directory of the full game, double click it on it and ask for the cdrom
so if we can compile a cd image with included mp3 cd tracks, maybe the game runs using the alone in the dark demo exe
Old 23 May 2013, 23:03   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
the windows version files are totally different,are useless to fix this bad packed mac version
Thanks for the information, it will save me downloading that one as well!

Quote:
the only way to solve this I think is renaming the files extracted of that zip file,then change the attributes of those files using a mac program
I had no chance to make a start on this today, unfortunately, and things could be just the same for a couple of days more yet.

However, I do have both the knowledge and the means to fix those files when I get the chance, so it will just be a matter of time.

Quote:
btw, the executable of the demo also would works, just I put alone in the dark 3 demo inside the directory of the full game, double click it on it and ask for the cdrom
so if we can compile a cd image with included mp3 cd tracks, maybe the game runs using the alone in the dark demo exe
Are they the same language (French, I assume)? It might just work even if they're different.
Old 24 May 2013, 02:19   #32
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the information, it will save me downloading that one as well!

I had no chance to make a start on this today, unfortunately, and things could be just the same for a couple of days more yet.

However, I do have both the knowledge and the means to fix those files when I get the chance, so it will just be a matter of time.

Are they the same language (French, I assume)? It might just work even if they're different.

ok master thanks for your help...time is no problem

btw

The demo is in english language, The full game I don't know which language is,
maybe is multi language or maybe is in french,maybe in english only ??

both executables are similar size

demo exe: 7.816.701 bytes
full game exe : 7.786.145 bytes

however the full game exe don't show even the icon...seems after was packed lost all the filesystem attributes...
sincerely I don't know how to fix this
Old 24 May 2013, 18:14   #33
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The game unpacks correctly under OSX and seems to play ok under ShapeShifter only quick test but appears to be french and doesnt offer resolution like like the demo dont know if this can be changed.

What kind of Amiga spec are you running these games on and what speed are you getting?
Old 25 May 2013, 01:19   #34
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
The game unpacks correctly under OSX and seems to play ok under ShapeShifter only quick test but appears to be french and doesnt offer resolution like like the demo dont know if this can be changed.
Ah well, that explains the problem! Mac OS X uses an entitrely different (Unix-based) fileystem. No wonder the resource forks are missing!

I'm not sure that it will be possible to fix it to run on Classic Mac OS. The Demo version will help for sure, but there may just be too much missing information.

I'll still give it a go, though.
Old 25 May 2013, 01:39   #35
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Hi dude yes it seems to work on classic mac - well under emulation
do you know if there any tools for unpacking this kind of file under classic mac?
Old 25 May 2013, 02:01   #36
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hi dude yes it seems to work on classic mac - well under emulation
do you know if there any tools for unpacking this kind of file under classic mac?
I don't have a Macintosh OS X system, so I can't unpack the Zip file inside the Abandonware archive, and I don't suppose the file can be unpacked with MacZip on a Classic Macintosh, because Sandro has already tried it and failed.

How did you transfer the unpacked files to your ShapShifter emulation? Did you repack them? Could you upload the resulting file to the EAB server? That's all we would need for everyone to be able to run it.
Old 25 May 2013, 02:08   #37
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Used PearPc a PPC Mac OSX emulator for windows you can also add .hfv hardfiles that are supported by shapeshifter so the files were unpacked under OSX on the .hfv hardfile and then used that hardfile under basiliskii & shapeshifter.

maybe hope for classic mac but I cant find this zip-joiner
http://see.yourweb.de/zipjoiner/
Reading some other posts this Zip-Joiner might be a myth witch is ashame I can probably upload the .hfv its about 180mb once zipped but its in french and might not be of any use.

Last edited by Retro1234; 25 May 2013 at 02:27.
Old 25 May 2013, 02:44   #38
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Used PearPc a PPC Mac OSX emulator for windows you can also add .hfv hardfiles that are supported by shapeshifter so the files were unpacked under OSX on the .hfv hardfile and then used that hardfile under basiliskii & shapeshifter.
Thanks for that. I've heard of PearPC, of course, but have never had cause to try and use it.

Quote:
maybe hope for classic mac but I cant find this zip-joiner
http://see.yourweb.de/zipjoiner/
Reading some other posts this Zip-Joiner might be a myth witch is ashame I can probably upload the .hfv its about 180mb once zipped but its in french and might not be of any use.
I knew that Mac OS X used another folder prepended with "__" inside zip files, but I didn't know that this was how resource forks were stored, or indeed that Mac OS X used resource forks at all!

Now it seems that these resource forks are compatible with Classic Mac OS as long as the applications themselves are, but I've never heard of the ZIP-JOINER and it seems like that is what's needed to unpack the Abandonware archive in a Classic Mac environment.

I've had some luck in the past with finding obscure Macintosh files by FTP searching (remember the 720K Mac Formatter extension?), so I think I'll give that a try first...
Old 27 May 2013, 16:44   #39
emufan

i found a tool called unarchiver. made for OSX but there are also commandline version for windows and linux.
lsar.exe for listing detailed information about files in archive ( -l or -L option ). unar.exe to extract the archive. here you can choose different handling of resource forks:
Code:
-forks (-k) <visible|hidden|hfv|skip>  How to handle Mac OS resource forks.
                                       "visible" creates AppleDouble files with
                                       the extension ".rsrc", "hidden" creates
                                       AppleDouble files with the prefix "._",
                                       "hfv" creates AppleDouble files with the
                                       prefix "%", and "skip" discards all
                                       resource forks. Defaults to "visible".
maybe usefull.
Old 27 May 2013, 19:08   #40
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Sounds good - I am quite amazed at how well this game runs ive just started playing the first one and with MacJoy im realy enjoying it.

Quote:
btw, seems that there is not yet a tosec collection of MAC 68k games
I wonder why...there are lot of interesting games , 99% of them compatible with the Amiga using emulators
and
lot of mac MAC games are better than DOS versions as for example Flashback and Alone in the dark trilogy...they have better GFX and run in 640x400 while DOS versions run at 320x200

Last edited by Retro1234; 27 May 2013 at 19:40.