English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 25 February 2009, 14:40   #1
asm1

Can I get away with......

Basically I've gone and bought some BGA Heatsinks for my 68882. The chap I bought it from says that he thinks its a 25Mhz part... the Accelerator is a 40 MHz chip.

Theres four of them in the picture covering the 68882 and they they don't look very straight because I have not stuck them down yet, but since the 68882 overclocks I thought I'd better do something about the heat. I'm planning to use the sticky pads on the heatsinks to fix them (yes I know its crap but I'd rather not bond them to the surface of the chip just yet)

does this look ok ?

Andrew

PS bored waiting on miggy (in post somewhere)

EDIT:- and yes I've just noticed the ram wasn't quite in properly on the right hand side and rectified this
Old 26 February 2009, 00:30   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post

Basically I've gone and bought some BGA Heatsinks for my 68882. The chap I bought it from says that he thinks its a 25Mhz part... the Accelerator is a 40 MHz chip.

Theres four of them in the picture covering the 68882 and they they don't look very straight because I have not stuck them down yet, but since the 68882 overclocks I thought I'd better do something about the heat. I'm planning to use the sticky pads on the heatsinks to fix them (yes I know its crap but I'd rather not bond them to the surface of the chip just yet)

does this look ok ?

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Don't worry anout overclocking the 68882. AFAIK they're all the same and good for 50MHz, as long as you make suitable provision for heat dissipation.

And don't worry about what I looks like either, as it will be hidden. Just make sure the heatsinks are stuck fast and that they do not touch anything plastic like a trapdoor, and they should be okay.

prowler
Old 13 March 2009, 08:35   #3
Jope
-

Also, don't use adhesive tape to connect them - it insulates heat even if it claims to be the "heat transfer" kind.

Take some arctic silver or originary silicon grease and smear a thin layer of it on the bottom of the heatsink. Leave the corners clean. Then add little beads of superglue on two opposing corners and stick it on the CPU.

It will come loose without much effort if you want to take them off, but you will actually dissipate some heat with them, which won't happen properly if you use the tape.
Old 14 March 2009, 15:40   #4
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I use thermal pads on mine 030s and 040s with very good results.
Old 24 March 2009, 10:53   #5
Jope
-

It could be even better with heat transfer compound and superglue. :-)
Old 07 April 2009, 21:41   #6
Paul_s

Fast and furious computer hardware components?