English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 06 March 2007, 15:03   #1
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Seriously simple AE Problem :(

Hey there folks,

Yep, I must have only got my first Amiga less than six months ago and there are heaps of things I don't know...here is one...

I've got Amiga Explorer and it works great, but for the one exception being that transfer speed is very slow.

I also understand that my 600 cannot comfortably transfer data too quickly, but sure it could do better than with the original AE settings.

What I have done is to add the files included with AE to the WB StartUp folder on my hard drive, so when the machine boots it runs a little executable and all works well...but too slow, way too slow

NOW, here is the bit...after searching and searching I keep finding posts where people talk about changing all kinds of settings...BUT I have no idea, seriously no idea how to do that kind of stuff at this stage...I'm too new and totally Ami-dumb

I don't even know how to modify the script in the little exe that preps my Amiga for AE.

Could somebody PLEASE tell me what a good/reliable transfer speed would be for a standard A600, plus please tell me how to modify the script and that to do there...I'm so lost here it's not funny...no matter how much I search only finding stuff about numbers, but not how to for dumbasses like me

PZ.
Old 06 March 2007, 15:12   #2
ppill
CON: artist

On my A600(with 1.3 kick) I can't go beyond 19200 bauds with programs like transwarp and dnet (and possibly AE but I havn't tried it yet) which is pretty slow (roughly 10 minutes to transfer an ADF file). This is from the PC to Amiga. Using transwarp you can get 115200 bauds in the other direction.

Reducing the colours to just two might help a bit. But if you want true speed for your serial transfers than I recommend twinexpress. The pc binary runs only under dos but you get speeds upto 115200 bauds both ways!

Hombre's got all of them so you can experiment a bit if you like
Old 06 March 2007, 15:16   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I get an ADF to disk on the Amiga (A600, HDD & KS3.1 (if that matters)) from PC using standard AE settings in just under 5 minutes, so you are doing even worse than me

PZ.
Old 06 March 2007, 15:28   #4
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B
I get an ADF to disk on the Amiga (A600, HDD & KS3.1 (if that matters)) from PC using standard AE settings in just under 5 minutes, so you are doing even worse than me

PZ.
I meant straight onto the floppy. Copying things to ram: is faster (probably around the 5 minute mark).

These serial settings should work without a problem:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga Workbench 2_001.png
Views:	2882
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	13355
Old 06 March 2007, 15:51   #5
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Yep, as I tried to state earlier...I am retarded...

How do I do this stuff/make these changes/etc?

Oh and yeah, onto floppy in just under 5 minutes with my setup, to memory really isn't much faster on mine too.

PZ.
Old 06 March 2007, 16:06   #6
ppill

The serial prefs program is located in the prefs drawer on you workbench disk or boot partition. Just double click it. But with the speed your getting your probably running at a higher baud rate than 19200 bauds.
Old 06 March 2007, 22:51   #7
adolescent