English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 March 2005, 04:21   #1
Thunderchicken

Unhappy Can't get my Amiga to read PC disks!

I'm running an A1000 with Workbench 1.3 Supposedly, Amigas can read PC disks. I formatted a 720K disk with the run command:
"format.com A: /T:80 /N:9 /FS:FAT". This allows the PC to try to format the disk as 720, not 1440.
My PC runs Win XP Pro.

Still, the disk loads up on the Amiga as, "DF1:BAD" and is completely unable to read the disk at all. What's the problem here? Someone please help!

Old 12 March 2005, 04:42   #2
Slayer
Amiga Member

well, you need to mount a pc volume from a suitable
mountlist entry...

examine devs: (that's workbench:devs or sys:devs) for
a mountlist text file... scan it for an entry like
PC0 or PC1,PC2... if it exists open a cli (shell in
later WB revisions) and type mount pc0: or 1,2 etc

along with the df1:bad or whatnot there'll also be
an icon with the pc disk name... I'm not completely
sure but I think 1.3 doesn't include or feature full
working crossdos capabilities... perhaps you'd better
search on aminet for an alternative...

good luck
Old 12 March 2005, 04:53   #3
Slayer
Amiga Member

check out:

hxxp://main.aminet.net/disk/misc/fat95.lha

for instance...
Old 12 March 2005, 05:32   #4
Thunderchicken

The devs does not have an entry for PC0, 1, 2, etc. and if I type "mount pc0:" etc, I get a "drive does not exist" error. I simply don't know what to do.

What I really need is for someone very, very helpful to give me a call and verbally walk me through the process of getting my Amiga to recognize PC disks.

Incidentally, Slayer, I can't download that file you recommended to my Amiga, as it has never been connected and (at this point) will probably never be connected to the internet.

I need HELP!

Old 12 March 2005, 05:50   #5
Slayer
Amiga Member

good luck with the personal call

replace the xx in the hxxp with tt

I typed it hxxp to avoid hot-linking... a habit
learned when one is in certain forums...

read the documentation... you'll probably have to
acquire a few other files from aminet also like
the mfm.device etc...

don't worry, you can do it!

I'm off to watch 2 towers... again... heh
Old 12 March 2005, 05:53   #6
Slayer
Amiga Member

ah... I've just realised you can't get the info onto
your Amiga anyway?

then perhaps you're barking up the wrong tree initially
perhaps you should be looking at how to mount an Amiga
disk on your winz/macos?

take a look at this file perhaps and do it the serial
way?

hxxp://main.aminet.net/misc/emu/TWINEXPRESS.lha
Old 12 March 2005, 16:13   #7
pjhutch
Peter

PC disks

Workbench 1.3 is too old to read PC disks. You need to upgrade to Workbench 3.1 to read PC disks.
Best thing to do is set up a serial link and transfer files that way. (BTW, OS1.3 does not come with any binary file transfer software)

I suggest Amiga Explorer from Cloanto.
http://www.amigaforever.com/
Old 12 March 2005, 17:01   #8
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Don't forget that the A1000 has a non-standard pinout for the serial port, so a standard serial cable can't be used, else you might fry your A1000.
Old 12 March 2005, 20:30   #9
Thunderchicken

I DO have Amiga Explorer, however, to get it to work, you have to copy a file from your PC onto a disk that was formatted on the PC (which I have done). Unfortunately, I still come to the main problem, which is that the Amiga will not read one of those disks, so I can't copy the two files AExplorer needs to work on the Amiga end!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Old 13 March 2005, 14:02   #10
pjhutch
Peter

PC disks

You do not need any files on the Amiga end for AExplorer to work. Just load up Workbench on the Amiga end, connect PC to Amiga and launch AExplorer.
Then you can copy files to/from the Amiga, would be best if you have 2 or more floppy drives or a HD or just swap drivers.
Old 13 March 2005, 16:02   #11
lloyd
Mehh :D

Depending on what you want to do, you can use a PC Disk read utility such as MessySID. This prog will read and write PC formatted disks (720K format) and therefore let you transfer files to and from PC disks to/from Amiga disks etc. I used to use that program a lot, and I can assure you, it works just fine.

Available from PD libraries - assuming any still exist, or if you speak to me nicely, I'll zone the DMS image for you.
Old 13 March 2005, 18:14   #12
Thunderchicken

I understand I need a really, really special null serial cable for my A1000 so I don't totally fry it. Can anyone describe it for me or tell me where I can get one to hook to my XP machine?

Lloyd, I would really, really appreciate it if you would help me out here. Unfortunately, I'm a total newbie, so I don't understand most of what you just said.

My issue is that I have around 300 of my old Amiga disks I'd like to copy to WinXP so I can run them. Also, I want to ultimately burn them to CD so all of the info on them isn't lost forever when the data corrupts from age...

-Erik

Old 13 March 2005, 21:50   #13
lloyd

If these disks you want to transfer to the PC are normal AmigaDOS disks, you can use DMS to make the whole disk a single smaller file. IF (and quite often it's a big IF), the size of the DMS image is less than 720K, you can write the file to a 720K PC disk using MessySID. Then, put the disk in your PC and just copy off the DMS file to you're PC hard drive. It's quite simple really and MEssySID comes with docs etc. If the DMS file is larger than 720K you'll need to use Twin Express or something similar to copy the files over to the PC.

If some of your disks are copy protected (like games disks) then I don't think DMS will work on them and you'll need somebody with more experience than me to transfer them.

I don't know the pin assignments for the A2000 serial port else I'd offer to build you a cable too. Mine works just great on my A500, A600 and A1200 tho.....

Will find MessySID and upload to the Zone. To get access to the Zone, read the FAQ.
Old 13 March 2005, 21:58   #14
lloyd

MessySID (1338.dms) uploaded to the Zone. Will now google for the A2000 pinouts of the serial port.....
Old 13 March 2005, 22:10   #15
Thunderchicken

Lloyd, I thank you very much for the file, which I have now downloaded to my PC.

There's still just one problem: How do I get the file to my Amiga? Remember, my Amiga 1000 does not have the hardware/software to hook up to the internet (I have a cable connection and no phone line) and my Amiga does not recognize a PC-readable disk, nor do I have the proper null modem cable which will not fry my A1000.

Old 14 March 2005, 07:24   #16
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd
MessySID (1338.dms) uploaded to the Zone. Will now google for the A2000 pinouts of the serial port.....
The A2000 serial port is "industry standard", but it is NOT the same as the A1000 serial port. That requires a different cable so that you don't end up connecting a line carrying any voltage to somewhere it shouldn't be connected to.
Old 14 March 2005, 17:51   #17
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
How about good old DOS-2-DOS? Hmm...maybe too slow for moving megabytes of stuff.... but i used it with my A500 back in days to transfer those precious ADF's!
Old 15 March 2005, 11:50   #18
pjhutch
Peter

Serial Port

The main difference between A2000 and A1000 is that the port on the A1000 is 25 pin Female port (all other Amigas use 25 pin Male ports). (From http://www.amiga-hardware.com/)

To make a serial cable see http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/3-105.html
Old 15 March 2005, 13:42   #19
lloyd

Thunderchicken dude, maybe you'd best PM (or email) me your postal address - I'll send you the MessySID disk.

Do you have a CD drive on your Mig? Probably not but thought I'd best ask...
Old 21 May 2005, 00:13   #20
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhutch
Workbench 1.3 is too old to read PC disks. You need to upgrade to Workbench 3.1 to read PC disks.
Sorry, but this statement is total rubbish.

When I had still my A500, I *was* able to read PC disks, with a demo of an older CrossDOS shipped with some of the older Fish (?) disks (if I remember the distributor correctly).
And yes, as upgrading was way too expensive for me, I've always kept to KS 1.3 + WB 1.3. No OS 2.0 anywhere.

Please inform yourself better.