English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 25 April 2002, 23:46   #1
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Happy Programmer's Corner

How about a section for people to swap/ask about programming problems or ideas. I for one can't find anywhere to ask questions when I get stuck. If this board has knowledgeable members I believe it would do the dwindling band of Amiga programmers a great service!!
What do you all think?!?
Old 25 April 2002, 23:50   #2
RetroMan

Hmm, I think this thread fits better here Anyway, I think it´s a cool idea (however, I only did some BB2 coding on Amiga and I´m a bit into Shell-Scipts ) ............ let´s here some other voices
Old 26 April 2002, 02:24   #3
Miggy2TheMax

Thumbs up

I think its a good idea, but I'm not too sure how frequently it will be used. I don't get much time to use the amiga let alone hack code on it, I'm sure many ppl are in the same situation. Who knows I could be wrong.

It would be kewl if the thread took off and ppl posted sample graphics, physics C/asm/.. code in the thread. That would really interest me!

If anyone has any sample OCS/ECS/AGA code to share please post. Thanks
Old 26 April 2002, 10:36   #4
Big-Byte
Long time member

there are a couple of disks of code I did in my 'future Tosec' directory on the ftp.
Old 26 April 2002, 12:34   #5
LaundroMat

I fiddled with ASM, AmigaE and AMOS at the time. I could have a look for some sources tonight and up them.
The ASM was mostly intro-type stuff (getting music in there, scrolling things, copper tricks), the AmigaE stuff was for small MUI apps and keyfile makers, and AMOS was used to create unfinished games.
Old 03 May 2002, 22:49   #6
aphrogen

Yeah! The dev corner...

Well, well, that makes me happy, now the EAB is phatter than ever. I am going to up some discussion on CDDA ripping (low level) soon, when i get time off work. Look out for it.

And thanks to the moderator for the forum.

Old 03 May 2002, 23:21   #7
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Big grin Cool

Great new section. I hope some experienced Amiga coders can give us beginners some tips and possibly small tutorials on programming the Amiga.

God damn it! I meant to reply to the previous thread!
Doh!

// RetroMan : You did

Last edited by RetroMan; 03 May 2002 at 23:30.
Old 06 May 2002, 14:54   #8
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Re: Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
..... I hope some experienced Amiga coders can give us beginners some tips and possibly small tutorials on programming the Amiga.
Yes an excellent idea!
What better way to keep the Amiga alive than to help teach new coders for it?
Maybe a monthly competition aswell for the best beginners program.
Old 06 May 2002, 23:24   #9
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

Great idea! While not a "newbie" myself to programming (just about to graduate with a CS Masters here ) I've never really had a chance to get to grips with the Amiga apart from AMOS when I was young.

So, I've gone out and got myself a few A500s/A500+s, external hard drives etc. so will be totally coming at this from a good starting point. I'm planning on getting Dice C and Dev Pac up and running (an old Amiga Format coverdisk - hope it still works or I'll upgrade to version 3.0 from Hisoft!). Hopefully I can get the two linking nicely and can write simple tutorials on getting up and running if anyone's interested in that part. Only good thing my PC will be for during coding sessions will be browsing the Includes and Autodocs.

Of course, as soon as that's done I'll be coding simple routines for various things so I can do input, screen modes, sprites through to collision detection etc. Anyway, if there's interest I don't mind publishing tutorials for anything suggested but if there are great sites and coders already out there why not build up some kind of Amiga Knowledge Base? Does this exist and we just haven't found it?
Old 07 May 2002, 03:57   #10
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There are already active programmer forums on comp.sys.amiga.programmer, www.amiga.org and www.amigadev.net.

rlake, if you want to write a tutorial I suggest that you do one on ReAction.
Old 07 May 2002, 04:56   #11
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by rlake
Great idea! While not a "newbie" myself to programming (just about to graduate with a CS Masters here ) I've never really had a chance to get to grips with the Amiga apart from AMOS when I was young.

So, I've gone out and got myself a few A500s/A500+s, external hard drives etc. so will be totally coming at this from a good starting point. I'm planning on getting Dice C and Dev Pac up and running (an old Amiga Format coverdisk - hope it still works or I'll upgrade to version 3.0 from Hisoft!). Hopefully I can get the two linking nicely and can write simple tutorials on getting up and running if anyone's interested in that part. Only good thing my PC will be for during coding sessions will be browsing the Includes and Autodocs.

Of course, as soon as that's done I'll be coding simple routines for various things so I can do input, screen modes, sprites through to collision detection etc. Anyway, if there's interest I don't mind publishing tutorials for anything suggested but if there are great sites and coders already out there why not build up some kind of Amiga Knowledge Base? Does this exist and we just haven't found it?
I would be a _very_ keen reader if you publish the tutorials you suggest! I hope you do get around to it, you never know, you might inspire other coders (me) to join you and help you write more docos!
Old 07 May 2002, 11:46   #12
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
There are already active programmer forums on comp.sys.amiga.programmer, www.amiga.org and www.amigadev.net.
Yeah, but they don't really have what I'd consider to be tutorial material - more like reference docs. The newsgroup is useful and I'd recommend it, but then there's no structure to the information there. Even http://www.amigarealm.com/ is limited, although the reference material is great.

Don't get me wrong, those sites are very useful but tutorials with pictures (step by step guides) are what I have in mind. Imagine the typical user learning something simple like AMOS - well, hopefully I can do something at that level. It's going to be more of a by-product as I learn myself the hard way so I may as well write some docs covering my progress.

Quote:
rlake, if you want to write a tutorial I suggest that you do one on ReAction.
OK, I've never heard of that before but I found it in dev kit 3.5 - on the face of it some kind of a UI widget library. If it works on Kickstart 1.3 then sure, some day - a tutorial akin to the "Java Swing Tutorial" (which is great IMO) but I'm sticking to "classic" 1.3 for the time being.

Anyway, I found this file if it's any use:

http://ftp.uni-bremen.de/aminet/dirs...ToReAction.lha
Old 08 May 2002, 15:21   #13
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Oh, you had a tutorial site in mind, rather than a forum. Well, in that case it certainly is an excellent idea, in fact I have spent a lot of time looking for this sort of thing.

Yes, ReAction is a GUI widget library, based on BOOPSI. It's really quite good, spits all over MUI :-) oh no I've restarted the infamous ReAction/MUI flamewar :-)

Do you really still use only 1.3!? 1.3 was ahead of anything else that existed at the time, of course, but 2.x and upwards is much better. Speaking from experience, I can say that it is almost impossible to write a decent semi-modern program that will run on 1.3. I mean you can't even use GadTools under 1.3, let alone datatypes, BOOPSI, monitor drivers, AGA...! I'm fanatical about retrocomputing, really I am (I still use my monochrome 48K character-mapped 1977 TRS-80 under emulation!), but...!

Anyway your idea is very good, I'm willing to help out in some way if feasible.
Old 08 May 2002, 18:06   #14
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

Yeah, I know 1.3 was the original plan but not any more! I just remembered the A500+ actually has kickstart 2.0 (d'oh!) so the aim is to code and debug on there and test with my 68030 accelerator for forwards compatibility and an A500 for backwards compatibility. I know it's not PPC but there you go.

Not sure about GUI at first but that's something to look at, and I really need to start at something basic like ECS graphics before even considering anything like AGA! Glad to know there's interest at least but I think it's obvious there are a lot of areas that'll need help.
Old 30 November 2005, 21:19   #15
Photon

If I had the time, I could write something up... but I don't, however much I'd want to :'(

Try asking stuff in Coder's Heaven here on the board and maybe some guys will help you out!
Old 01 December 2005, 12:57   #16
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Untill AGA came along......I know there's quite a few games for AGA only.....but set them aside......was there any games that worked on ECS and not OCS?
Old 03 December 2005, 04:46   #17
jobro

I dunno about that, got extremely low knowledge about older amiga games, what I do know is that there is a some sections on www.programmersheaven.com that might suite you well.