English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 15 January 2021, 18:27   #21
crazyc

In the Startup and cleanup files, don't uncomment the lines that say "Stop the IP-Stack..." etc. that just is to tell you what the next line does so its only the actual commands that should be uncommented.
Old 15 January 2021, 18:37   #22
crazyc

Which bits are not working? you can test each stage, so for example, comment out the Cleanup line from the WHDLOAD prefs. Start Miami, then run a whdload game you know needs an update, and it should tell you that (so you know the stack works). Start the game then quit out and then do it again. If the Cleanup file was not run then MIAMI should now be stopped (as it wasnt restarted)and hence whdload will not do the update check.
Once you know that works, you can re-enable the cleanup and do the same test, which will prove if the cleanup file is restarting MIAMI successfully as then it should do the update check each time.

Your open url looks OK as far as I can see just make sure you click use and save etc- I assume that is the correct path to AWEB on your HD - I picked it using the selector rather than typing it in. Maybe add the "%u" - not sure it makes a difference - I didnt think I used it with Ibrowse but it didnt break it when I added it.
Old 15 January 2021, 18:52   #23
rabidgerry

Fixed the description lines so it's just the A rex commands in startup and cleanup.

Which bits aren't working? All bits aren't working, I get dos errors for each step and then I have to hit start and the game starts to run.

Added "%u" back into the Aweb bit, and yes I didn't type the path I searched manually.

I will have another look at this in more detail and see what happens.
Old 15 January 2021, 20:29   #24
crazyc

did you comment out the other stuff at the start of the whdload startup script? Mine literally only uses the lines for the network start and close.
Old 16 January 2021, 13:41   #25
rabidgerry

I did comment that stuff out as you said. Looking at this with a little more logic behind it I noticed that the Cleanup and Startup are point to C:Rx. There is nothing called RX in my C drive. I have something called Rexxc folder in my DH0: though and I decided to modify the script to point to that directory instead as inside it there is something called RX but this still didn't work.

I did an search online and it might be possible that I don't have this Arexx installed if that Rexxc folder isn't the same thing.
Old 16 January 2021, 18:43   #26
daxb

Usually, RX is in the search path and you should launch it without absolute path, only relative path. I.e. just "RX". Btw. with RX you start ARexx scripts that are interpreted by RexxMast.

You should see the entries in startup and cleanup as examples that might luckily work or not. Hence I would try to disable the TCP/IP stack (or USB stack) in a Shell to see if and how it works. If you have working solution put it in the startup file. Same for cleanup if you want to start the stack after quieting WHDLoad.
Old 16 January 2021, 19:09   #27
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Usually, RX is in the search path and you should launch it without absolute path, only relative path. I.e. just "RX". Btw. with RX you start ARexx scripts that are interpreted by RexxMast.

You should see the entries in startup and cleanup as examples that might luckily work or not. Hence I would try to disable the TCP/IP stack (or USB stack) in a Shell to see if and how it works. If you have working solution put it in the startup file. Same for cleanup if you want to start the stack after quieting WHDLoad.
Ok I see what you mean

I found this on another forum and post about something similar and the guy had this

Quote:
SYS:RexxC/RX "IF SHOW(PORTS,MIAMI.1) = 1 THEN ADDRESS MIAMI.1 OFFLINE"
Old 16 January 2021, 22:01   #28
rabidgerry

I think i need to install this first http://aminet.net/package/util/rexx/MiamiOnOff
Old 17 January 2021, 14:50   #29
daxb

You do not need this but you can check what it does and how it works of course. The one liner you posted should already work. But just try it. Go online with Miami and in a shell window type the one liner. If Miami goes offline it works. If Miami is running but not online the script should do nothing. My script is similar to the on liner + ISONLINE 'ppp0' to check if online and when true OFFLINE.
Old 19 January 2021, 00:43   #30
rabidgerry

Quote:
You do not need this but you can check what it does and how it works of course. The one liner you posted should already work. But just try it. Go online with Miami and in a shell window type the one liner. If Miami goes offline it works. If Miami is running but not online the script should do nothing. My script is similar to the on liner + ISONLINE 'ppp0' to check if online and when true OFFLINE.
Well you were right about that line. It started doin stuff.

When I tested in shell it turned Miami on and off depending on whether I had online or offline in the line.

However in practice once I updated the cleanup and startup scripts to reflect what I had tested, I got occasional success and a series of crashes.

What I have established is when my network card is plugged in whd load doesn't like this. However if I unplug it works ok.

The minor success I did have was with one game that turned miami off then on again and also opened the browser. It did not take me to the page however where I would update the slave which is what I was expecting. Upon returning back to the game it then got stuck on the title screen with music playing. I perhaps needs to turn off something else at the same time as Miami I think inorder for this to work.
Old 19 January 2021, 09:14   #31
crazyc

@daxb does it make a difference that he is using a WiFi card?
Old 19 January 2021, 09:59   #32
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Knowing my luck it will!

So basically when the WIFI card is connected properly it will have a solid green LED. This is when everything crashes in terms of trying Igame or just a game in WHD load.

When the WIFI card is flashin I think it behaves ok, can't remember now, and when the WIFI card is unlugged it works fine but defeats the goal of the WHD startup and cleanup really.
Old 19 January 2021, 12:21   #33
daxb

Quote:
Sorry, I do not know what you mean.

Btw. the WLAN card needs WirelessManager, right? That need to be stopped too as far as I know. You need to uncomment that part in the startup file if not already done.
Old 19 January 2021, 13:08   #34
crazyc

I don't use the wireless cards myself and was wondering if there was anything else that needed stopped and then restarted.
Old 19 January 2021, 16:30   #35
rabidgerry

Quote:
Sorry, I do not know what you mean.

Btw. the WLAN card needs WirelessManager, right? That need to be stopped too as far as I know. You need to uncomment that part in the startup file if not already done.

Quote:
I don't use the wireless cards myself and was wondering if there was anything else that needed stopped and then restarted.
Well there is the answer, so I need to stop wireless manager as well then! Let me see if I can actually pull this off myself! I shall report back after experimentation.

One question, isn't the update thing supposed to take me to the WHD load page? Or simply just open the browser?
Old 19 January 2021, 17:10   #36
crazyc

Takes you to the website
Old 19 January 2021, 17:38   #37
rabidgerry

Quote:
Takes you to the website
Well the best I got was my browser to open

I haven't yet messed with getting the wireless manager to end but I will try this after work.
Old 19 January 2021, 23:08   #38
rabidgerry

So i was reading http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77551 and tried solution near the bottom. Only to realise I don't have the command it uses NetShutdown so needless to say it didn't work and a whole heap of shit happened.
Old 20 January 2021, 13:33   #39
daxb

If you want to deactivate the wireless manager then you just need to uncomment the relevant part. The lines after "; stop wireless connection". It should work out of the box. Hint: If you update WHDLoad, always check whdload.prefs, WHDLoad-Startup and WHDLoad-Cleanup for changes. The default startup file looks like this:
Code:
;
; example script to be used with WHDLoad option ExecuteStartup
; - stop all software which can cause interrupts with external hardware
; - optionally free memory to allow WHDLoad better PreLoad
; - adapt emulation parameters
;

; pause smbfs-shares
; requires smbfs 1.182 and mounted from CLI with option SETENV
If EXISTS ENV:smbfs-process
  List ENV:smbfs-process/#? LFORMAT="Break ${ENV:smbfs-process/%s} D" TO=T:smbfs-pause
  Execute T:smbfs-pause
  Delete T:smbfs-pause QUIET
EndIf

; stop the IP-stack via ARexx
;C:rx offline.rexx

; stop Genesis with a X-Surf card
;AmiTCP:bin/offline x-surf0

; stop Roadshow
;C:NetShutdown

; stop wireless connection
;Set WirelessManagerPID `Status COM=C:WirelessManager`
;If VAL $WirelessManagerPID GT 0
;  Break $WirelessManagerPID
;EndIf

; stop Poseidon USB-stack
;C:AddUSBHardware REMOVE ALL

; set compatible speed and disable JIT for UAE
;uae-configuration cpu_speed real cachesize 0
Old 20 January 2021, 17:16   #40
rabidgerry

Well after doing exactly like you said, deleting the lines I had added to startup and then uncommenting those lines which are already there by default I tried it again.

I always get a DOS error first of all, and then sometimes I can get the browser to open (still not taking me to whd load website) but the game still fails to load either at the first splash screen or just before it. Then if I F10 out of the crashed game it starts up Miami again as required.

Sometimes if I try and open a game it gives the DOS error and then eventually crashes the system and then I have to click left mouse button and then it reboots.