English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 11 March 2023, 20:33   #1
Manaplayer

Banshee Amiga CD32 - Going INSANE! (Retroarch w/PUAE core emulation issue)

Hey guys.

This is a problem that I have been trying to solve periodically for YEARS now lol :P

You see, I own a lot of emulation handhelds/devices, and most of the time, depending on the device, I have custom game collections that I always setup for various emulators and a frontend.

Most include an Amiga CD32 collection, and every single time the console's icon catch my eye, I HAVE to try to play my favorite game on that system : BANSHEE

Playing it isn't a problem. I use Retroarch and one of the PUAE cores.

BUT! The day I decided to try the game at 60fps/NTSC, I just couldn't go back to the standard 50 fps anymore. So much SMOOTHER man!!

The issue is that if I simply go into the core options and select NTSC instead of PAL, it crops a 1/3 of the screen and I've tried EVERYTHING to solve the issue! Looked and search every corner of the web. It's a known thing (not for Banshee specifically, but that resolution/crop issue when switching region). I won't list everything I've tried over the years, but every sensible combination of options in the core settings, many attempt to correct the resolution/cropping via the Retroarch's general video options using the specific resolutions for NTSC + other suggested values to "compensate", etc.
Nothing works.

Bottom line, it's either cropped at 60fps and thus unplayable, or full 4:3 but at the normal choppy 50fps...

So why asking this today? Well I found this old thread : https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=351268

Last comment of the thread reads :
I used to have this issue with Banshee as well...

The best solution I've found to centre the screen and minimise black borders is to set a full screen Double or Scanline resolution of 720 x 576. If your graphics card doesn't support this res (like mine) then use PowerStrip to create it

Edit: forgot to mention, untick Horizontal Centering...
I know this old scroll of a comment is about WinUAE and not Retroarch with PUAE core, but it's about the same exact problem, with the same exact game, and that page of the thread (not only the comment I've quoted) had quite a few suggestions that I might have never tried to do in the exact same way before. Still, didn't work, but the frustration got me finally fed up enough to finally ask for help eh :P

I need to END that chapter of my life! That chapter about... Not being successful at emulating Banshee for the CD32 at 60fps (as you guys can see this is of great importance haha :P).

Anyway. Thank you so much for your time either way you guys; I really appreciate it. If having screenshots of the issue or list of available options for this core in Retroarch might be helpful, let me know and I'll upload something.

Cheers!
Old 11 March 2023, 20:55   #2
vulture

Since Banshee has >200 lines, you can't go NTSC without cropping, no matter your settings. Only solution is to force a different refresh rate.

So, not sure about PUAE, but under WinUAE, you may go to the display settings and adjust the fps to 60.

Last edited by vulture; 11 March 2023 at 21:17.