English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 May 2006, 12:08   #1
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

Overdrive CD-ROM

I'm missing an old CD (empty case) and i have a feeling its still in my old overdrive pcmcia cdrom. Anyone knows a way to get the cd without haveing a running Amiga? Always thought the small hole on the front is for this, but it doesnt seem to work.
Old 17 May 2006, 12:39   #2
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Is it tray loaded or caddy loaded? If its tray loaded you should just be able to pull out the tray with a knife gently..
Old 17 May 2006, 13:10   #3
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, you can gently push a paper clip into the small hole which should open the drive.

If you've already done that and nothing happened then try Smiley1635's suggestion...
Old 17 May 2006, 14:37   #4
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

How is this drive powered? if its a 3 pin 'kettle lead' then just plug in the power and hit eject!
Old 17 May 2006, 15:06   #5
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

Its an external drive, powered by a small 12V powersupply, doesnt eject tho when i plug it in. Pushing a paperclip into the small hole didnt lead to success either, when i push it in it definatly feels like there is some small sort of button in the hole but nothing happens. Guess i have to try the knife thing as it is tray. *scared*
Old 17 May 2006, 15:15   #6
DamienD
Banned

Sounds like the drive mechanism is screwed

I had this occur with a DVD drive at work... You could also feel some sort of plate or something when inserting a paperclip. I had to use "some" force to finally get it open. Obviously just try to be as careful as possible and use only as much force as required (I know, easier said than done though)...
Old 17 May 2006, 15:38   #7
ant512

The hole on the front of a CD drive opens out next to the gears on the inside of the drive. When you push a paperclip into the hole you need to use a bit of dexterity and force because you're actually pushing the teeth on one of the cogs. This pushes the gears around and manually pushes the tray out. There isn't a button behind it.
Old 18 May 2006, 08:04   #8
Jope
-

That all depends on the mechanism. Most CD-drives I've taken apart indeed have a plate in there that turns the gears a bit + also releases the locking system of the tray drive system.

So it might be a tooth you're pushing, or a button/plate.
Old 18 May 2006, 09:26   #9
tin

You have to apply some serious pressure to the hole, you need sturdy paperclip arrangement! as Jope says it pushes some part of the mech (well in mine anyway!). I know others have said gently, and some pressure, but in my experience it needed a good beasting

However if it won't eject when the power's on, I wonder if somehow it's completley stuck!
Old 18 May 2006, 18:53   #10
bird
tRSi-iNNOVATiONs

Well, i tried the paperclip again, somehow i managed to get it stuck.
Took the whole thing apart, turns out its a case with an ata->pcmcia adapter and a standard ata cdrom. At this point i didnt care to much about the drive (doublespeed anyways hehe), lets just say i got the cd.
I wonder if i could plug a HD onto that adapter, dont see why it shouldnt work. Thanks for the help.
Old 16 September 2006, 21:49   #11
heroicnonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
Well, i tried the paperclip again, somehow i managed to get it stuck.
Took the whole thing apart, turns out its a case with an ata->pcmcia adapter and a standard ata cdrom. At this point i didnt care to much about the drive (doublespeed anyways hehe), lets just say i got the cd.
I wonder if i could plug a HD onto that adapter, dont see why it shouldnt work. Thanks for the help.
You can. In fact, Archos produced versions with harddisks as well. They matched the asthetics of the A600/A1200 so well that Commodore decided to rebadge them and sell them as official harddisk upgrades.
Old 19 September 2006, 00:55   #12
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I had one of these overdrive things and if I remember correctly the drive isnt an ata, or at least its not fully ata compliant, I had this notion of just swapping the drive out with a better one and ended up just selling it on.

This was many years ago mind, around 1997-ish
Old 19 September 2006, 00:58   #13
Secret Vampire

if it's a double speed there's a fair chance that it uses a creative or mitsumi interface, which are confusingly 40 pin like IDE. They're the same sort of thing you'd have plugged into a PC soundcard when you got a multimedia upgrade kit for your 486.