watched this video:
[ Show youtube player ]
some options are indeed interesting
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 January 2018, 12:28   #2422
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
I have now thoroughly tested both REV 2 and 3 boards with ISSI RAM and can confidently say it is compatible with both revisions of TF530. This RAM is unstable with any firmware before the 2018 release candidate; I have tested them all.

ISSI RAM can at times be found much cheaper and in larger supply than the Alliance listed on the TF530 BOM.

As always, YMMV.

For people having the slow ram issue. Can you try disabling caches and tell me what happens?
Old 13 January 2018, 13:28   #2423
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
For people having the slow ram issue. Can you try disabling caches and tell me what happens?
haven't got my boards yet,
waiting till alenppc & EzdineG test this out..
Old 13 January 2018, 15:10   #2424
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
haven't got my boards yet,
waiting till alenppc & EzdineG test this out..
I am planning on completing the 540 Board routing when i'm in the USA. I'm going to revert back to plain IDE. SATA seems to be a PITA.
Old 13 January 2018, 15:19   #2425
kgc210

Looking forward to the 540 updates.
Are you still planning on 64MB Z3 Ram?

I asked before (can't find where) but what is the main difference in how you wire in the Z3 Ram do you have to connect all address pins through the CPLD? Or something else?
Old 13 January 2018, 15:24   #2426
Locutus

What kind of memory configuration do you have planned for the 540 now?

Couple of megs of SRAM?
Old 13 January 2018, 15:32   #2427
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
What kind of memory configuration do you have planned for the 540 now?

Couple of megs of SRAM?
SDRAM. 32 or 64 Mb.
Old 13 January 2018, 15:57   #2428
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
SDRAM. 32 or 64 Mb.
are there any chance to see a FW update soon, Stephen? do You have any idea what can cause these graphic issues on A2000? (i'm keep asking, cause 50mhz firmware is not affected and doesen't have these issues, have combined different variations of bus and ram jeds, and found out that this bug sits in the bus jed)
Old 13 January 2018, 17:00   #2429
plasmab

Quote:
are there any chance to see a FW update soon, Stephen? do You have any idea what can cause these graphic issues on A2000? (i'm keep asking, cause 50mhz firmware is not affected and doesen't have these issues, have combined different variations of bus and ram jeds, and found out that this bug sits in the bus jed)
The 50Mhz bus firmware? That firmware takes a completely different approach to the clock domain cross. I can confirm the latest RC1 doesnt work in the STFM at all.

I have built 5 TF328s this week and shipped them to various people and used the cash to buy some new parts for the up coming boards and also to get some of the 8Mb 3.3V ram that (if it doesnt blow it up) will make the TF530 run 4Mb SRAM.

Separately I have been working on the RAM CPLD firmware to try and squeeze MMC support out of it. That will appear this week if i have time.. I dont plan to write drivers.. Just debug the hardware and publish this in RC2 if it works.

From a week today i am in Phoenix, AZ for 3 weeks. and really i need to start getting my brain into flying mode. So i am not really likely to be in the zone with this firmware issue in the A2000 for a month. I also simply dont have an A2000 to test and measure on so its not really very easy to get this working.

For the moment the boards are A500 only and working well with better IDE support. I think this is a major step.
Old 13 January 2018, 18:17   #2430
kgc210

Quote:
I am waiting on the 1k resistor networks then I can try it in my A2000 to see if different combinations work. Why don't you raise a bug on the GitHub with what you have tried hardware wise, then I know what I can try different on mine etc?

Quote:
From a week today i am in Phoenix, AZ for 3 weeks. and really i need to start getting my brain into flying mode. So i am not really likely to be in the zone with this firmware issue in the A2000 for a month. I also simply dont have an A2000 to test and measure on so its not really very easy to get this working.

For the moment the boards are A500 only and working well with better IDE support. I think this is a major step.
Do you want to borrow either a whole A2000 or a motherboard?
Old 13 January 2018, 18:28   #2431
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post
I am waiting on the 1k resistor networks then I can try it in my A2000 to see if different combinations work. Why don't you raise a bug on the GitHub with what you have tried hardware wise, then I know what I can try different on mine etc?

Do you want to borrow either a whole A2000 or a motherboard?
We really should start using the wiki on the TF530. The 328 guys are using it to good effect. Much of the stuff in the readme should get moved there .. i.e. installation stuff.

The RC1 code is on github so people can experiment.

In terms of a motherboard i'm not comfortable borrowing stuff given the nature of what i'm doing. I could easily end up frying a motherboard and then i'd feel bad. I have a bid in on a beaten up 2000 mobo at the moment.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:47   #2432
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
We really should start using the wiki on the TF530. The 328 guys are using it to good effect. Much of the stuff in the readme should get moved there .. i.e. installation stuff.
i am not familiar with Github an it's functions, i was under impression only moderator can add comments there, not just every single person. If its possible - we should really start to do it. There is a lot of information that we can add like flashing firmware, tested CF cards and so on...

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 13 January 2018 at 20:55.
Old 13 January 2018, 21:05   #2433
plasmab

Quote:
i am not familiar with Github an it's functions, i was under impression only moderator can add comments there, not just every single person. If its possible - we should really start to do it. There is a lot of information that we can add like flashing firmware, tested CF cards and so on...
Anyone can edit the wiki. Its been setup to for that.
Old 13 January 2018, 23:26   #2434
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
keep in mind, once you swap 10k resistor arrays out to 1k you'll be unable to use old 50m firmware on A2000 anymore, and as RC1 fw isn't working - you'll end up with a non-working TF on an A2000.
The best setup i found atm is to mix up the firmwares:
bus jed fom 50m firmware + ram jed from newest RC1
https://picload.org/view/ddlprogr/20...21432.jpg.html
system works very nice and stable, no issues except picky CF card acceptance, also SD to CF is not working
i am using SanDisc Extreme III 30MB/s 4Gb CF card and it works excellent:
https://picload.org/view/ddlprogi/20...21410.jpg.html
giving me 4MB/s so folders and content is loading instantly (had problems with big games like Cannon Fodder previously, it took too long till game loads from CF - that caused flickering picture and sound, now it's in the past)

@Stephen
PCB's for my Atari ST service carts finally arrived, have soldered one up and tested the memory:
https://picload.org/view/ddlproga/20...21755.jpg.html
as it seems Bank 1 is corrupted in bit 15, according to the schematics bit 15 is at U5, am i right?
hope to test this working A2000 setup on Atari ST soon - how exactly should i test it on Atari? Should i erase RAM cpld, or can i leave it programmed???

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 14 January 2018 at 00:01.
Old 13 January 2018, 23:56   #2435
plasmab

Teaser ...

Old 14 January 2018, 00:19   #2436
plasmab

Quote:
keep in mind, once you swap 10k resistor arrays out to 1k you'll be unable to use old 50m firmware on A2000 anymore, and as RC1 fw isn't working - you'll end up with a non-working TF on an A2000.
system works very nice and stable, no issues except picky CF card acceptance, also SD to CF is not working
giving me 4MB/s so folders and content is loading instantly (had problems with big games like Cannon Fodder previously, it took too long till game loads from CF - that caused flickering picture and sound, now it's in the past)

@Stephen
PCB's for my Atari ST service carts finally arrived, have soldered one up and tested the memory:
https://picload.org/view/ddlproga/20...21755.jpg.html
as it seems Bank 1 is corrupted in bit 15, according to the schematics bit 15 is at U5, am i right?
hope to test this working A2000 setup on Atari ST soon - how exactly should i test it on Atari? Should i erase RAM cpld, or can i leave it programmed???
Erase the RAM CPLD. You cant use the FASTMEM without hacking a RAM firmware so the ram appears at 0x400000 (otherwise it gets used as "chip" ram - ST Supports 4Mb of that) and you will not get IDE support. You then need to hack up MonSTer to add your ram to the system pool. Its a big pain TBH.

Oh if only the ST had an autoconfig system.

EDIT: There is barely any changes in the RAM CPLD between 50Mhz and RC1. Try disabling the CPU caches with the jumper next to the CPU and tell me what happens. Maybe the ROM caching is causing issues.
Old 14 January 2018, 09:53   #2437
kgc210

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was going to try the 10K resistors while I wait for the 1K ones. But I will wait for the 1K only other ones I have are 22R.

4MB is a nice speed, is that with the stock scsi.device or are you using Don_Adan's scsi.device?

Last edited by kgc210; 14 January 2018 at 10:02.
Old 14 January 2018, 12:45   #2438
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was going to try the 10K resistors while I wait for the 1K ones. But I will wait for the 1K only other ones I have are 22R.

4MB is a nice speed, is that with the stock scsi.device or are you using Don_Adan's scsi.device?
i am using standard 3.1KS with an original scsi.device in it

PS
nice teaser Stephen! seems that we will have first SPI based device soon!!! You're amasing! What about Wi-Fi? any ideas about it?

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 14 January 2018 at 13:23.
Old 14 January 2018, 13:51   #2439
plasmab

Quote:
i am using standard 3.1KS with an original scsi.device in it

PS
nice teaser Stephen! seems that we will have first SPI based device soon!!! You're amasing! What about Wi-Fi? any ideas about it?

I am going to setup the hardware and document the port but I’m really not wanting to learn how to write device drivers. Any volunteers?
Old 14 January 2018, 16:31   #2440
plasmab

A start on the SPI port docs.

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf53...PI-Port-(alpha)
AdSense AdSense