English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 May 2010, 15:16   #1
Eternal_Newbie

4GB SanDisk CF HD Hell please help.

Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot of posts here related to the use of CF cards as HDs in Amigas so figured this is probably the best place to ask for help.

I have managed to get the card formatted properly in WinUAE (winuae can boot from it) and yet when in the real deal (A1200 with 3.0 ROMS) no joy - I can't even see it in the early boot menu. This is what I have done so far :

booted HDTOOLBOX from install 3.1 floppy and partitioned the drive and then did a quick format on the partitions I created

Install wb 3.1 to the card to verify winuae will boot it which it does nicely
since i only have 3.0 roms in the real amiga i took wb3.1 off the card as i figured it wouldnt work anyway but surely the partitions should still be visible in the boot menu.

Im sorry if the above info is a bit confusing or convoluted but thats the state of mind im in after trying to get this working for weeks - could the problem be that the card was formatted with 3.1 roms yet the a1200 only has 3.0?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 18 May 2010, 16:23   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

winUAE uses a different device driver, I haven't got an Amiga in front of me.

device = "uaescsi.device"

Amiga

device = "gvpscsi.device" as an example
Old 18 May 2010, 16:39   #3
Eternal_Newbie

I used

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device which was default in HdToolBox and ide0 as the controller - does this combination only work for emulation purposes then?

Old 18 May 2010, 16:46   #4
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
those are the settings I would use if I was doing it

alas have no other thoughts as to what might be wrong other than your ami might not like your cf card, but most ppl say the SanDisk ones work

could try partioning it in ami then installing in winuae
Old 18 May 2010, 16:56   #5
Eternal_Newbie

Ah yes I forgot to mention. The card does work as does the controller - I got it off ebay in fully working order but then stupidly followed some advice on a linux forum that said it was perfectly safe to access amiga partitions from linux.

This by the way is NOT TRUE as im sure you all know but ill state it again in the hope i can save some other poor soul from my fate in the future. Long story short I trashed the drive and am now just trying to get back to where I started from (a position I am all too familiar with having used far too many custom linux kernels )

I can't use the actual amiga in any real capacity as have only wb3.0 disks (which i think are corrupted anyway after being abused since my teens) so im stuck with WinUAE I think

Old 18 May 2010, 17:22   #6
Eternal_Newbie

hmmmm this is interesting. Under XP disk management shows my CF card as removable, I've read the card needs to be in a fixed state to be used as an Amiga HD does anybody know how I can change this as the card must hav come in a fixed state in the first place or it would never have worked right?

Or is it just being labelled as removable because I'm using a USB card reader on a laptop?

Apologies for all the questions, I understand it can be irritating for people actually in the know to be endlessly restating things but this is my last resort after trying all suggestions thrown up by google and forum searches (I am the type to actually RTFM before asking honest )

Old 18 May 2010, 17:51   #7
thomas

If removable was the problem, it should at least show up in HDToolbox and when you click on it should come up with the message that it is not compatible.

As it is not shown in HDToolbox, it's rather a hardware problem.

Does it perhaps show if you press Ctrl-A-A and then check again ?

Regarding some of your initial questions:
Quote:
since i only have 3.0 roms in the real amiga i took wb3.1 off the card as i figured it wouldnt work anyway
WB 3.1 should work fine on 3.0 ROMs.

Quote:
but surely the partitions should still be visible in the boot menu.
Yes. The format of the partition table has not changed between 2.0 and 4.1, so any of these operating systems should at least show the partitions in the boot menu.

Quote:
Ah yes I forgot to mention. The card does work as does the controller - I got it off ebay in fully working order but then stupidly followed some advice on a linux forum that said it was perfectly safe to access amiga partitions from linux.
Given that both Amiga RDB and AFFS support is compiled into the kernel, it should be perfectly safe to mount Amiga partions on Linux. Of course you may not use mkfs or other destructive commands on it. Similar to Windows which pops up with the question to format the CF card as soon as you plug it in. Of course you must not format it.
Old 18 May 2010, 19:34   #8
Eternal_Newbie

Thanks for the info, it is sounding more and more like a hardware problem as everything on the software side seems fine.

Soft reset just takes me back to kickstart screen.

After mounting in linux and copying some files across the card was pretty much useless, so the only conclusion I can draw from that is that the kernel module isnt great compatibility wise or something along those lines

Old 18 May 2010, 20:09   #9
thomas

Two chances remaining to test:

1) get a spare IDE cable, cut the red line (*only* the red line !) and test if it makes any difference after Ctrl-A-A.

2) get 3.1 ROMs and see if this makes any difference. It's the IDE driver after all which is responsible to recongise the card and the driver is in the ROM.

Well, 3) search forum threads for the name of the utility which can be used to change a CF card from removable to fixed. IIRC it was specificially for Sandisk cards, so you are on the safe side with your card. I guess you need Windows or at least DOS for that, though.