English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 June 2019, 00:01   #161
Mikerochip

Well ...

If I get a vote...

since I just bought 3.1.4 for my A1200 (stock) and 8MB trapdoor expansion, I vote for both of those to work with the PCMCIA NIC at the same time
Old 10 June 2019, 02:09   #162
gulliver
BoingBagged

Please respect others who think different and have voiced their dissenting opinion in a respectful manner.

Every opinion is important, so keep them coming.
Old 23 June 2019, 08:39   #163
flype

Small wishlist for OpenWindowTagList()

Window flags-> WA_AlwaysOnTop

About the PowerWindowsNG-like feature :
Window flags-> WA_ForbidOutOfScreen
Old 23 June 2019, 09:12   #164
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
One of the most popular programming languages in use today is Python, and all its keywords are English! Disgusting.

Just for you:

https://github.com/gasolin/zhpy/blob.../teashop.tw.py
https://github.com/renyuanL/pythonTu...tle_tc.py#L504

<3
Old 23 June 2019, 11:45   #165
Bruce Abbott

"By default, Python source files are treated as encoded in UTF-8. In that encoding, characters of most languages in the world can be used simultaneously in string literals, identifiers and comments — although the standard library only uses ASCII characters for identifiers, a convention that any portable code should follow."
Old 23 June 2019, 16:40   #166
Locutus

I'm at loss how that blocks one from writing code in non-ASCII, on the contrary. The code standard library being *by convention* only in ASCII makes sense as it has a diverse base of contributors and consumers.

This is exactly why such translation 'bindings' exist, ....but oh well.

I once joked about these examples to a Chinese colleague of mine, and she told me its not actually all that uncommon to see internal use utility code (build, CI, tests etc) exactly like this.

Endresult, non-latin code is real and will only be larger and larger.
Old 12 July 2019, 21:30   #167
EzdineG

Thank you Thomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
I would like to see a command line switch that prevents the new setpatch from scanning the IDE bus mid boot on every boot.

This has doubled the boot time of any machine I’ve installed 3.1.4 to, and I understand this is to address an LED issue that doesn’t even apply to most machines anyway.

setpatch /noscan

Thanks!
Thomas, I see this has been included in 3.1.4.1 as

setpatch NODRIVELEDPATCH

My system now boots without the annoying 4-5 second pause.

Thank you!
Old 12 July 2019, 22:01   #168
esel

Not working here.. After nodriveledpatch i still have to weit 5 seconds.
Old 12 July 2019, 22:37   #169
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esel View Post
The option is working, you can check which patches SetPatch applied by calling it without command arguments after the system booted. Note, however, that this option is not documented for a reason. Leaving out a bug fix is rarely a good idea. If the computer seems to be waiting, it probably isn't waiting at all but doing important business. There are many things SetPatch may be doing. For example, building MMU tables. Depending on the available main memory, this may take a while.
Old 14 July 2019, 05:21   #170
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by esel View Post

Works fine here.

I can confirm that adding the option completely removes the delay for me. I’m back to 3.1 boot speeds!
Old 22 July 2019, 12:04   #171
Jope
-

Center background image in wbpattern.prefs/workbench.library please!
Old 22 July 2019, 13:19   #172
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Center background image in wbpattern.prefs/workbench.library please!
Noted and already taken care of.
Old 22 July 2019, 13:30   #173
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Noted and already taken care of.
Cheers, thought it might probably be there already.

What is your thought on a screen menu / window menu by long pressing or right clicking the screen / window depth gadgets? The clunky window manager benefits quite a lot from being able to directly select what you want. :-)
Old 22 July 2019, 16:23   #174
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
What is your thought on a screen menu / window menu by long pressing or right clicking the screen / window depth gadgets? The clunky window manager benefits quite a lot from being able to directly select what you want. :-)
AmigaOs doesn't have a window manager, it has Intuition. (-: The major showstopper for any improvement here is Cybergraphics, which does not work on anything but the V40 greenhill C compiled version, a compiler that is long obsolete, only runs on SUN Sparcs, and thus is lost in space & time.

Thus, I'm pretty conservative with any changes that requires a new intuition as we need to stay compatible with V40 as much as we can, such that at worst only some "eye candy" features are affected.
Old 22 July 2019, 16:33   #175
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
The major showstopper for any improvement here is Cybergraphics, which does not work on anything but the V40 greenhill C compiled version, a compiler that is long obsolete, only runs on SUN Sparcs, and thus is lost in space & time.
Do you need actual SUN hw for it or can it be run through an emulator? Even if you could emulate it, then it still wouldn't be a nice long-term solution and while it should be possible to re-write a compatible version that builds on a modern compiler, I'm guessing it would be a big undertaking?
Old 22 July 2019, 16:37   #176
Jope
-

Quote:
Thus, I'm pretty conservative with any changes that requires a new intuition as we need to stay compatible with V40 as much as we can, such that at worst only some "eye candy" features are affected.
Could the development continue in the V45 intuition branch? Everyone gets to break CGX if they like by loading the new library, but the ROM can have the old one. :-)
Old 22 July 2019, 17:10   #177
daxb

@Jope:
So long you can use MCP for windows menu and screen menu if you like.
Old 22 July 2019, 17:47   #178
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Do you need actual SUN hw for it or can it be run through an emulator? Even if you could emulate it, then it still wouldn't be a nice long-term solution and while it should be possible to re-write a compatible version that builds on a modern compiler, I'm guessing it would be a big undertaking?
The problem is not so much the Sun or the compiler. The problem seems to be (current state of the analysis) that CGfx depends on the specific stack layout and register allocation of this particular compiler. The problem P96 and also CGfx have to solve is that they require one particular piece of information (namely the monitor ID of the screen to open) that is not available on the V40 interface (though is now available). So both P96 and CGFx "go fishing" on the stack frame. Even with the same compiler, it may still happen that CGfx stops working just by changing the code, and by that implicitly changing the register allocation and the stack frame.

It would not be a major problem to update CGfx for the new interface (no major one, just some work), and it would neither be a major problem to emulate the same interface with some assembly stubs in V45, but for that, one would need to know what the CGfx code exactly expects.

However, this is the same problem as with all other P5 software. "No documentation, no talk, no information, ..."
Old 22 July 2019, 18:00   #179
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
@Jope:
So long you can use MCP for windows menu and screen menu if you like.
Yes, I can of course continue pouring a ton of patches on top. I don't remember what provides this service for me currently, not MCP though. :-)
Old 09 August 2019, 19:12   #180
frakswe

A function to keep vga modes alive on reset. (something like bootctrl on aminet)