English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 March 2015, 18:50   #1
DamienD
Banned

DamienD's SNES DVD... [REVAMP]

Hello there my long, lost EAB friends,

Hope that everyone is well?

Sort of disappeared for many years... Real life [blah] [blah] [blah] and not much time for gaming if I'm honest.

Anyway; I recently purchased a new laptop for my twin brother in Sydney. As he's not very good with computers, I thought I'd revamp my "SNES DVD" so that he can play (see original thread here "http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22669").

It now works on the following operating systems:
  • "Windows XP".
  • "Windows 7".
  • "Windows 8".
  • "Windows 8.1".

I have now completed the work / tested thoroughly etc. New features are as follows:
  • New "setup" file to handle "Windows XP" / "Windows 7" / "Windows 8" / "Windows 8.1" computers.
  • "Box" images added to the "LusSpace" frontend; displays under the "Goodies" tab.
  • Reviewed / optimised settings for "Snex9x" and "Zsnes" emulators.
  • "Microsoft Xbox" controller remapping for "Windows 7" / "Windows 8" / "Windows 8.1" (as things vary from "Windows XP").
  • Added a new game to "LusSpace" frontend; "Nightmare Busters (E)":

The process is the same as with the previous DVD i.e:

• After the autorun starts select "Run Setup".
  • Go through the main options "1)" + "2)" (plus sub-menus) and once happy select "3)".
  • You can launch the autorun and select "Run Setup" anytime to change options.

Just like before everything can be run from DVD or from your hard drive. Running from the hard drive is the preferred option as access speeds are far better than from a DVD drive. Also both emulator settings can be applied.

Screenshots of the new DVD / Setup menus are attached:

Autorun:

Main Menu:

File Locations + Desktop Shortcut Setup:

Local Hard Drive Setup:

Emulator Selection:

Snes9x Emulator Setup:

Snes9x Controller Setup:

Zsnes Emulator Setup:

Zsnes Controller Setup:

That's everything out of the way. I wanted to share this with you guys even though I know it's not "Amiga" related

Jumped on the "EAB File Server", tried to create a directory called "DamienD" under "Uploads" and then upload the .ISO file. Both actions failed...

If somebody could sort out my ftp rights I'll start uploading immediately.

Ciao,
D

Last edited by DamienD; 22 September 2019 at 13:45.
Old 06 March 2015, 19:13   #2
Hewitson

I hate to say this as it looks like you've put a lot of work into it, but it looks far more difficult to use than the actual emulator.
Old 06 March 2015, 21:05   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I hate to say this as it looks like you've put a lot of work into it, but it looks far more difficult to use than the actual emulator.
LOL; no offence to you Hewitson but are you seriously trying to tell me that pressing one key on 5 screens is harder that doing the following:

• Downloading all ROMS.
  • Downloading both emulators.
  • Downloading the frontend.
  • Downloading the frontend title / game / box images.
  • Extracting all of the above into a sensible file structure.
  • Learning how to / configuring each emulator (display settings, sound settings, general settings, controller settings, save states path etc).
  • Learning how to / configuring the frontend.

Even for an person experienced with emulators all of the above would take time to setup

Read again one of my opening sentences; related to my brother. This would be a difficult task for a computer novice.

Anyway, of course you entitled to your opinion.
Old 06 March 2015, 21:40   #4
lesta_smsc

I think this a great project! Kudos to you! Some people are more computer literate as we know and so may find this tedious. However, even I like this! Such a simple tool and would be very keen to get hold of this when and if possible! My uncle would love this as he's great at playing the games... The issue is getting it to work for him and this would solve that!

Regards to FTP. Have you made an account?
Old 06 March 2015, 21:54   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Welcome back Damien

Please have a look at this post about how to create an upload account: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=780
Old 06 March 2015, 22:01   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Welcome back Damien

Please have a look at this post about how to create an upload account: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=780
merci beaucoup TCD; will get uploading
Old 06 March 2015, 22:10   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Neato I'll grab it and have a try this weekend
Old 06 March 2015, 22:21   #8
lesta_smsc

Please can you update once uploaded
Old 06 March 2015, 23:06   #9
ransom1122

I've got snes emulated on a million consoles. But I guess adding this wont hurt. Is this just a one off upload or are you looking at creating other emulator packages like this?

I see you've included two Emulators. Any reason for this. I'm assuming each emulator would play all roms, or is one better then the other?

Also I see Microsoft Vista is missing from the list of operating systems? I have vista Won't it work on that?
Old 06 March 2015, 23:11   #10
Greyfox
Pixel Blender!

Send a message via MSN to Greyfox
Can't wait to try it out Damien , many thanks for your tireless effort to bring this to the masses, this is a quality release, cheers fella
Old 07 March 2015, 00:16   #11
ransom1122

Can't wait to try nightmare busters never heard of it as well
Old 07 March 2015, 00:32   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Neato I'll grab it and have a try this weekend
Please do

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Please can you update once uploaded
Currently at 81% uploaded but for some reason ftp speed is slowing down over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I've got snes emulated on a million consoles. But I guess adding this wont hurt. Is this just a one off upload or are you looking at creating other emulator packages like this?
Well, I am emulator mad (as most people who remember me when I was a Global Mod here would say).

I have soooo many systems / games it's not funny. Just go through some of my old posts.

Anyway; no solid plans for new packages as yet.

Quote:
I see you've included two Emulators. Any reason for this. I'm assuming each emulator would play all roms, or is one better then the other?
Both are very good. Added choice because it's good to and one may run better on an OS (this was really more the case in Windows XP days).

Quote:
Also I see Microsoft Vista is missing from the list of operating systems? I have vista Won't it work on that?
Never had Vista. It's the one OS that I didn't install.

Should work though; pretty similar layout to Windows 7 in terms of file structure and I've used environment variables in all my batch files so...

Give it a bash and let me know if it doesn't work. If not I'm sure I can fix quite quickly.
Old 07 March 2015, 01:14   #13
ransom1122

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know if it works with vista. Give everyone a holla when the upload is complete
Old 07 March 2015, 01:19   #14
Leffmann

I think Nightmare Busters was a game that was completed, but never made it onto cartridge and into the stores. The guy who owns the IP (presumably) used to visit here, and the game is currently being sold commercially on newly made cartridges.
Old 07 March 2015, 01:34   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I think Nightmare Busters was a game that was completed, but never made it onto cartridge and into the stores. The guy who owns the IP (presumably) used to visit here, and the game is currently being sold commercially on newly made cartridges.
Oh; if that's the case the I probably shouldn't include...

...and I was just about to say the file has completed uploading.

<< file now removed by me >>

I'll remove "Nightmare Busters" from the DVD and re-upload tomorrow.
Old 07 March 2015, 01:58   #16
ransom1122

Does that mean you have to remove the images in case you get sued as well?

A simple Google search of nightmare busters reveals many download pages and even an online play of the game.
Old 07 March 2015, 12:58   #17
DamienD
Banned

Alrighty, re-upload complete!!! (without "Nightmare Busters")

This package has been tested quite thoroughly; the only thing I can image that may go wrong would be due to operating system language.

Saying this though, with "Windows 7" onwards I believe a user's "Desktop" folder is predominantly going to be "C:\Users\{username}\Desktop" where as with "Windows XP" it would change sometimes with different languages e.g:

Code:
German: 
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Desktop 

Hungarian: 
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Asztal

Swedish: 
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Skrivbord
If you have don't have English as your operating system language and your "Desktop" folder isn't "C:\Users\{username}\Desktop" please let me know specifying what it's named. I can amend the setup files to suit and upload a very small patch (100KB roughly).

Quote:
Does that mean you have to remove the images in case you get sued as well?
Didn't create game / title screenshots for this game due to "LusSpace" using encrytped ".PNG" files. I couldn't work out what program created these unfortunately so my normal screenshots wouldn't load...

If anybody knows the answer to the above for reference that would be cool.

Quote:
A simple Google search of nightmare busters reveals many download pages and even an online play of the game.
Oh I'm sure that "Nightmare Busters" is easily found / downloaded. There's nothing stopping anyone from adding into this DVD themselves for personal use (see the "Read-Me" for instructions on how to add ROMS to the package / re-create the .ISO).

I just wont include it in my package.
Old 07 March 2015, 13:34   #18
DamienD
Banned

Forgot to mention; here’s a site that has numerous “Playstation” / “Xbox” adapters which enable you to use them on a computer via USB:

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/

Personally I have the “Xbox” adapter and use this with my “SNES_DVD”:

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/XBOXXBOX360/PC020.html
Old 07 March 2015, 14:34   #19
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Nice work!
But unlucky choice with the ZNES emulator... Though this remains fairly popular, it is considered obsolete and extremely inacurate (plus it is not supported anymore). Not knowing better, I had the bad luck to start with this... The emulator did run most of the games but -unfortunately- it did with huge lags and framedrops (for no apparent reason). Some games were still playable and you could only notice the framedrop with the slow playing music. Others (ex. Aladdin) simply crawled from the start.
Up to this day I regret not having the patience to look a bit further... this totally ruined my experience with FFIII which I did finish using ZNES.
At some point I saw a video with footage of FFIII running on real hardware and I was like... wtf! So I did my research and I finally settled with BSNES which instantly solved all issues I had.
Old 07 March 2015, 17:05   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Nice work!
But unlucky choice with the ZNES emulator... Though this remains fairly popular, it is considered obsolete and extremely inacurate (plus it is not supported anymore). Not knowing better, I had the bad luck to start with this... The emulator did run most of the games but -unfortunately- it did with huge lags and framedrops (for no apparent reason). Some games were still playable and you could only notice the framedrop with the slow playing music. Others (ex. Aladdin) simply crawled from the start.
Up to this day I regret not having the patience to look a bit further... this totally ruined my experience with FFIII which I did finish using ZNES.
At some point I saw a video with footage of FFIII running on real hardware and I was like... wtf! So I did my research and I finally settled with BSNES which instantly solved all issues I had.
Hmmm, I originally created this DVD back in early 2006... At the time I chose the 2 emulators "Snes9x" and "Zsnes"; never did try "Bsnes".

Personally I like "Snex9x" better and that's what I mainly use. I've used "Zsnes" a little, but I never had the experiences that you've mentioned.

Just tried "Aladdin" in both emulators and exactly the same good performance for me