English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 07 June 2017, 21:09   #1
Sim085

PC to Amiga Joystick Adapter

Hello,

I have a PC IBM QuickShot Warrior 5 Joystick and decided to buy a PC o Amiga Joystick adapter. I went for this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-fo...AAAOSwbqpT8drY

However it does not seem to work. Whatever game I try the Joystick does nothing. The only game which seems to do something is Sonic when I press one of the fire buttons Sonic moves to the right. All other games (Wings, Golden Axe) do nothing.

I am sure the socket works as I tried with a normal Amiga Joystick and it works. I have also tried on both A500 and A1200 ... but both nothing.

Unfortunately I cannot test the joystick on a PC because don't have a PC that takes a Joystick. However this PC Joystick was sealed packed when I got it.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Old 07 June 2017, 21:33   #2
Sinphaltimus

Check to see if the game allows control button customization or find one that does. Or maybe a controller test program already exists. You'll at least want to know if all the need signals are making it through.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 07 June 2017 at 21:44.
Old 08 June 2017, 12:45   #3
Daedalus

The problem here is that it's an adaptor for using an analogue joystick on the Amiga, but most Amiga games expect a *digital* joystick. you need an active converter that reads the analogue signal and converts it to digital if you want to go by that route, though I suspect such an experience would be terrible given the lack of a positive "switching" from an analogue stick.

On the Amiga, the fire buttons of an analogue stick are routed to the directional inputs, which explains why some games will react to some buttons being pressed as if a stick direction is pushed. If you try a game that supports analogue joysticks, you'll probably find that it works just fine. Try Birds of Prey or F1GP, two games that support analogue controllers and IMHO are much better when played with analogue controls. You'll need to look up how to switch the controller type in the game's options, and they each have their own calibration routines that you'll need to carry out first.

I wrote a small program that tests all sorts of controllers, including analogue, and does some automatic detection too. It'll work on your A1200 and let you see exactly what your controller is doing. Aminet Link.
Old 21 June 2017, 20:00   #4
Sim085

Hi Daedalus, apologies took long to reply but was away from home. I have tried your program and I can confirm what you are saying, when on Analogue it works fine but when on digital only the two fire buttons work and these to move left and right.

So what should I do? Are there any options apart from buying an Amiga joystick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The problem here is that it's an adaptor for using an analogue joystick on the Amiga, but most Amiga games expect a *digital* joystick.
Old 21 June 2017, 20:21   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
So what should I do? Are there any options apart from buying an Amiga joystick?
There are adapters for PSX joysticks too, and you can also use Master System and Megadrive controllers, as well as any Atari/MSX stuff. Options are plenty.

Unfortunately what you bought is only good for thw very few games that support analog control
Old 22 June 2017, 09:58   #6
Sim085

Thanks Akira,

Just a quick question; isn't there a "driver" which can convert the analog signal into a digital signal. I am just asking more out of interest at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
There are adapters for PSX joysticks too, and you can also use Master System and Megadrive controllers, as well as any Atari/MSX stuff. Options are plenty.

Unfortunately what you bought is only good for thw very few games that support analog control
Old 22 June 2017, 15:41   #7
Amiga1992

No, and even if there was, that "driver" would go out the window as soon as you fire up a game that shuts off the system.

Sell your joystick + adapter and get the joystick you need instead, is my best recommendation.
Old 22 June 2017, 19:44   #8
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No, and even if there was, that "driver" would go out the window as soon as you fire up a game that shuts off the system.

Sell your joystick + adapter and get the joystick you need instead, is my best recommendation.
I don't want to hijack this thread and I once knew the answer but can't recall it. Are Atari (or Atari compatible joysticks/gamepads) compatible with Amiga out of the box?
Or is an adaptor still necessary?
Old 22 June 2017, 20:45   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Are Atari (or Atari compatible joysticks/gamepads) compatible with Amiga out of the box?
Yes. Same standard.
Old 25 June 2017, 17:03   #10
Daedalus

Yep, you could in theory build a adaptor to convert the analogue to digital to let it work, but it wouldn't be a simple adaptor, it would probably cost more than a standard digital joystick, and the results will be horrible anyway without positive feedback from the switches. If you're not interested in games that actually use analogue controllers, best bet as Akira said is to sell it to someone who is, using the money to buy a Zipstick or something instead.
Old 27 June 2017, 13:55   #11
Sim085

Thanks Daedalus, it just means it will continue to pick up dust

So what joystick would you suggest for the Amiga? Are there any with auto-fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yep, you could in theory build a adaptor to convert the analogue to digital to let it work, but it wouldn't be a simple adaptor, it would probably cost more than a standard digital joystick, and the results will be horrible anyway without positive feedback from the switches. If you're not interested in games that actually use analogue controllers, best bet as Akira said is to sell it to someone who is, using the money to buy a Zipstick or something instead.
Old 28 June 2017, 00:22   #12
Daedalus

Fair enough My personal favourite is the Zipstick, and I've only ever seen versions with autofire, but apparently they also exist without autofire. It's a rock solid stick with good action, and standard microswitches that can easily be replaced if needed. It's quite common so can be found easily enough on eBay and the likes.

Other people will prefer other sticks though of course, or even control pads, with many varieties available, many of which include an autofire function.