English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 February 2011, 16:18   #1821
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
looks shoddy though, pins of the connector barely protrude through the solder holes.
Old 18 February 2011, 17:15   #1822
deicidal
Registered Insane

Mine also took quite a bit of swearing to get and with the top off, still was worth it in the end and i am not in a rush to take it out to check if the connector is mounted evenly
Old 18 February 2011, 18:06   #1823
desiv

My ACA1230/28 was a tight fit as well.
I had to take off the case, and I also (felt) I had to loosen the screws that hold the motherboard down a bit. Just a few turns so the motherboard would float a bit. Then I was able to attach the card and tighten the screws back up..

Not sure that I "had" to loosen those screws, but it made the install easier for me..

Then, I still had to slide the card back just a tiny bit to get it to work, but I had to do that with my 8M card as well, so that's just my beat up old 1200. ;-)

It's been solid since then..

Given the shipping situation, I HOPE you can get it installed..

Fingers crossed.. ;-)

desiv
Old 18 February 2011, 22:32   #1824
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

This afternoon I've tried to install an Idefix Express adaptor to the Amiga, and it wasn't working. I've began to search possible causes and I've noticed one thing: This Amiga in which I'm installing the ACA is one I've mounted for pieces I had around... but almost haven't tried it. I've noticed it's revision 2B... Still I haven't dismount it, but... it has The Black Dead..., I mean the timing errors, hasn't it? I've been reading what Individual talk about how to fix that timing errors (really that paper has all the info, thanks Jens).

Two questions:
I must fix them, don't you believe? I haven't had time to see any issue, and I can't compare to see what's normal or not.

Do you know if it can affect to the Idefix too?

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 February 2011 at 00:00.
Old 18 February 2011, 22:38   #1825
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
This afternoon I've tried to install an Idefix Express adaptor to the Amiga, and it wasn't working. I've began to search possible causes and I've noticed one thing: This Amiga in which I'm installing the ACA is one I've mounted for pieces I had around... but almost haven't tried it. I've noticed it's revision 2B... Still I haven't dismount it, but... it has The Black Dead..., I mean the timing errors, hasn't it? I've been reading what Individuals talk about how to fix that timing errors (really that paper has all the info, thanks Jens).

Two questions:
I must fix them, don't you believe? I haven't had time to see any issue, and I can't compare to see what's normal or not.

Do you know if it can affect to the Idefix too?
What happens without the ACA1230 installed, does IDEFIX Express work then?
Old 18 February 2011, 22:40   #1826
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

That's the first I did. I used my Hawk Ram board: no, it just asks for the floppy.

EDIT:
This is what the paper of Individuals talks about Timing corrections:
"Some A1200 models do not work properly with accelerator cards; they randomly crash on totally different occasions or display random graphics. Commodore has prepared the A1200 motherboard for timing corrections that are required for the different chip revisions that were used. However, some corrections have not been removed after chips have reached a state where these corrections are not required any more. The result is that a timing parameter that is already corrected in the Amiga chips is "corrected" one more time with an external component. The result is a bad timing that will only show if you are using a more sophisticated accelerator card. "

So, the thing is: how do I know if I have to take out those caps? How do I know if they made the correction once or twice? Revision 2B has the problem, hasn't it? So, I just take them out and ready, is that ok?

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 February 2011 at 23:06.
Old 18 February 2011, 23:34   #1827
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
That's the first I did. I used my Hawk Ram board: no, it just asks for the floppy.

EDIT:
This is what the paper of Individuals talks about Timing corrections:
"Some A1200 models do not work properly with accelerator cards; they randomly crash on totally different occasions or display random graphics. Commodore has prepared the A1200 motherboard for timing corrections that are required for the different chip revisions that were used. However, some corrections have not been removed after chips have reached a state where these corrections are not required any more. The result is that a timing parameter that is already corrected in the Amiga chips is "corrected" one more time with an external component. The result is a bad timing that will only show if you are using a more sophisticated accelerator card. "

So, the thing is: how do I know if I have to take out those caps? How do I know if they made the correction once or twice? Revision 2B has the problem, hasn't it? So, I just take them out and ready, is that ok?
Doubt its a timing issue.

Have you ever had that Express board working?
Are you connecting it right?

What happens if you disconnect the Express gayle adapter and use just the idefix part. Does it work then?
It should work like that.

Last edited by FOL; 18 February 2011 at 23:42.
Old 18 February 2011, 23:50   #1828
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Doubt its a timing issue.

Have you ever had that Express board working?
Are you connecting it right?

What happens if you disconnect the Express gayle adapter and use just the idefix part. Does it work then?
It should work like that.
No, I've never tried it before. It's second hand. I've tried without adapter too, and yes, I've connected it right and I have used buffered ide adaptors before without problems. Still haven't installed the software, but the thing is that it doesn't see the HD.

I won't go off topic. As I believe, I must fix the timing issues in rev. 2B for the ACA if anybody here tells something different. So tomorrow I'll take out those caps and will see if the Idefix works. If not, I'll open a thread.

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 February 2011 at 01:07.
Old 18 February 2011, 23:55   #1829
Cammy

After removing the case I managed to shove the ACA1230 in through the trapdoor slot, using the cut-away part to get past the lip, but now the accelerator hangs out on a very bad angle. It also causes the whole system to crash and come up with error messages and graphical corruption. There is no way to close the trapdoor at all, even if I were to modify it because of the way the whole end of the accelerator hangs out the hole. After running ACATune it did detect the RAM and added 62MB Fast. Any option I try with ACATune just causes the A1200 to crash and reset, so I just have C:ACATune for now. The A1200 randomly crashes, even in the early Startup menu or in AmigaDOS.

I know no one ever believes me, so I took some photos of the ACA1230 attached as well as the screen after it crashed one time.

I would really like to know what I'm supposed to do now. I can see how it passed "Quality Control" since it does sometimes work and probably worked the whole five seconds it was being inspected before getting the gold sticker, but how am I supposed to use my system when it randomly crashes? Is it even safe for the accelerator to be wedged onto the motherboard on such an angle?

I noticed that the connector problem is similar to this one, although I don't think any of the pins are damaged internally like this, it's just pried off of the board with a gap beneath it on one side. http://picasaweb.google.com/dag.jaco...77667666385730

Should I risk sending this back for repairs, or is it just another case of tough luck? If I sent it back to Alinea Computer (where it was purchased from) will they repair it themselves or pass it on to Jens, will I ever get it back if I send it away, and if I do get it back will it have the same 56Mhz CPU or will it be swapped for a slower model out of spite?
Old 19 February 2011, 00:09   #1830
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Cammy, it's all the way into? If it is, there's no doubt you've had bad luck.
Try to see if something is forcing it out that way and if you can do something (I would try to loose the screws of the mb, as it seems the problem to me). If not the best is to talk with the seller, and they won't give you a slower model, as Jens will have stock for this matters, as they had with the Indivisions.

EDIT: Cammy just a question: your Amiga is new... have you lost the warranty because of this problems openning it?

BTW: Isn't it time, Jens to give the remaining stock of Idefix Express to Amigakit for a final sell? I know at least 3 people here that need one...

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 February 2011 at 00:46.
Old 19 February 2011, 00:39   #1831
amigoun

The random crashes are most likely caused by the timing issue of the A1200 motherboard. I experienced the same until I applied the fix decribed here in this thread earlier. What is your motherboard revision?
Old 19 February 2011, 00:42   #1832
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

2 timing issues together? Yes, what's your revision Cammy? But I don't believe a new A1200 will have any timing issue.
Old 19 February 2011, 01:07   #1833
Cammy

The A1200 I was trying it on is a Revision 1.D.1 motherboard, although I intend on using it on another A1200, I just could not in any way fit it in the newer A1200.

Does anyone have a link handy for the timing fix so I don't have to re-read the entire thread again?
Old 19 February 2011, 01:13   #1834
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Cammy.

easiest way is to search for timing fixes and threads posted by jens, I cant link it as I an posting from a mobile device. Once found maybe a mod should add it to the first post.

I think an FAQ should be a priority.

Steve.
Old 19 February 2011, 01:14   #1835
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

As long as I know 1D1 is the best revision ever, without any timing issues (and my other A1200 mb )
Have you loosen the screws a little?

EDIT: HEy Cammy I see (your photo isn't very good) that you use -maprom **. Are you using the latest ACATune of the first post? If so, you must use -maprom ** p . I still don't know how much * are recommended, (but it will work with two) but the p with the space before is a must with the last beta. I see you tried with it before and you have it disabled. Try with that p.

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 February 2011 at 01:43.
Old 19 February 2011, 01:43   #1836
Cammy

The motherboard isn't screwed in at all, there's no way this thing would fit through the trapdoor slot if it was. The entire A1200 motherboard is being bent a little bit just so this thing will fit.

Please note that I was not using -maprom, you are looking at the disabled like with a ; in front of it. The active line was the one above, which still does not work so I use ACATune without any options.

I am still experiencing weird crashes, usually preceded by graphical corruption. I don't have any other expansions in this A1200 other than the internal IDE-CF adapter and a PCMCIA card reader.

Last edited by Cammy; 19 February 2011 at 03:20.
Old 19 February 2011, 01:47   #1837
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, I edited that. Mine wasn't working at all with the new Acatune, so I used the one of the floppy. Later I've tried with the latest adding the p. Try with it.
EDIT: Or simplier. Don't use anything is the s-s. Does it have any crash? -Edit again- and don't forget the >NIL: if you use it... although now it's the last of your worries...

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 February 2011 at 01:55.
Old 19 February 2011, 01:49   #1838
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
The motherboard isn't screwed in at all, there's no way this thing would fit through the trapdoor slot if it was. The entire A1200 motherboard is being bent a little bit just so this thing will fit.

Please note that I was not using -maprom, you are looking at the disabled like with a ; in front of it. The active line was the one above, which still does not work so I use ACATune without any options.

I am still experiencing weird crashes, usually preceded by graphical corruption. I don't have any other expansions in this A1200 other than the internal IDE-CF adapter and a PCMCIA card reader.
Check for E123C and E125C on the bottom of the mobo.
If they are there then remove them carefully.
If it doesnt help then simply put them back on.

@Retrofan, Idefix express is gone, there are no more left to sell.
Its out of production.
Old 19 February 2011, 01:59   #1839
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
@Retrofan, Idefix express is gone, there are no more left to sell.
Its out of production.
Hey Fitzsteve, hey Novacoder.... What do we do now ????
Old 19 February 2011, 02:32   #1840
kipper2k

Quote:
Hey Fitzsteve, hey Novacoder.... What do we do now ????
Simple, we build more